• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Help! How do i quit Masterbating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jess88

Jan 3, 2007
Florida
✟15,246.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am 18, male. How do I quit masturbating?

Absent minded people on the net say, "masturbating is ok, but the guilt you fell is unfounded." I know it’s wrong. I need help quitting. People on the net also say, "Go to a physiatrist."

I expect that if this question was to be answered in a timely fashion and taken seriously the "experts," answering this question, might say, "Go to your father of confession/ psychiatrist." I would then inform him the tragic new, I am a coward because I am too ashamed of myself to directly, in person (Christian orthodox), ask my father of confession for advice, and that I do not have the necessary means or funds to go to a psychiatrist.

If I must be brave to ask, in person, for help in quitting masturbating, then my question to you is "practically, what can I do to gain courage to ask my father of confession directly for help."

I urge you to help me.
I have been masturbating since I hit puberty at 14.

Thank you,
A Inconsolable Christian.
I began my quest on stopping to touch on th begining of the year, I had plenty of downfalls. I have never told anyone. What I did was, I would go into my room kneel and pray for God to take it away because it controls me to a point where I am weak to say NO. Then of course the thoughts came to haunt me but I would instantly stop whatever I was doing, walk around the house, think of things from God. Then there was a service where a pastor said that his friend would close his eyes wherever he were and put his fist to his head and say i rebuke you in the name of Jesus, from that day on I started doing that as well. I watch ALOT of movies and ALOT of movies have parts where arouses us and that gets hard sometimes... a few weeks ago i was watching black snake moan and oh my... it was an awful choice it is seriously inappropriate content material, and I ALMOST did it. But i held myself together and I asked God to take that feeling away. I really dont understand why people go to psychiatrists... we have God and Jesus Christ right next to us who can help us through and we rather rely our lives in the life of someone else to judge our condition. Only God knows all our tweaks and can fix them, the psychiatrist just waste time and money.

Upvote 0

livin4love286

Jul 29, 2007
✟7,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
kk first of all just think of it as a test, that God only gives you what you what he knows you can handle if you try hard enough. we sometimes fall through that but know God believes in you so you should to,
also distract yourself as much as possible, like go and playing frisbee with a friend or seeing a movieyou know wont arouse you, because why walk into a rated r movie when we know what can happen, when you go to bed sleep with your door open in your room and move your computer to an open place like a living room if you have a computer in your room (if its an issue)

i hope these tiny tips help, its going to be hard and you will want to give in but think of the greater reward and how much prouder God will be of you ill be praying for you as well

Upvote 0

Divinah

Jul 11, 2006
Bakersfield, Ca.
Visit site
✟8,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Oh, your so young and your fleshly desires are so natural at your age.

BUT, your guilt is probably God tugging at your heart. Because we are not to be given over to the weakness of our flesh. God has blessed us with so many natural instincts that ARE blessings and ARE necessary, but we need to be able to control ourselves in those urges, even in hunger, anger, etc.

Now, I can tell you...you mentioned your shame of talking to a preacher, etc. Honey...go to the Lord. Every time you fail...lift that SHAME to HIM...repent...tell him you want it removed, you want to serve him and you CANNOT do it without him...he will lift it. Don't despair because it will probably seem it's most hopeless before it get's easier...JUST PERSEVERE IN SEEKING HIM AND ALL OTHER THINGS WILL BE ADDED INCLUDING YOU DELIVERANCE FROM THIS.

Promise. PRAISE GOD!

Upvote 0

Divinah

Jul 11, 2006
Bakersfield, Ca.
Visit site
✟8,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Stopping it before it starts...heres what I mean...

I couldn't find the exact scripture that explains:
Sin, when first conceived is in thought, then becomes desire which leads to sin-action which leads to death.

Mark 7:21 Because from inside, from the heart of men, come evil thoughts and unclean pleasures,

You have to rebuke those thoughts and lift them to God before they can grow in you. You have to find immediate alternatives (I would say the WORD, WORSHIP, PRAYER) when tempted. You will probably fail some...but persever and call upon his name as best you can, before you are given to burning in your flesh and the actual act of the sin.

THIS WILL BE KEY IN YOUR VICTORY...and you'll be free to enjoy your deliverance.

PRAISE THE LORD!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.