• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

"Hearing from God" as a person who has been mentally ill.

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Many times, I have not wanted to hear from God because I came to Christ mentally ill and demon possessed. After the possession left me, I was still mentally ill.

And yet, I am in the spirit-filled section of Christianity where God speaks to us. And God has spoken to me before I was mentally ill and afterward.

In some instances I have physical proof God spoke. And other times, God has used me to pray for healing in others and see them healed. Just last week God miraculously healed a skin tag under my arm.

My mental illness included light hallucinations and then also "thoughts" which were like voices. God did eventually heal me of it.

To hear from God, as a mentally ill person I might suggest the following things:

- Thought voices were never God in my case. I always wanted to think they were but they were not. A lot of the time it was my own mind playing tricks on me. A lot of the time it was also corrupt thoughts in my mind causing mental illness, and those thoughts should be resisted, and alleviated by healing through faith in Jesus.

- Even if I heard auditory voices which happened perhaps a couple times, I would always substantiate those voices against God's word. Once I was begging God what I should do with my life, and an auditory voice said, "Love your family." I shot up and went looking around to see who had spoken to me. But I only trusted that voice, not because it was an auditory voice, but because in the Bible, you will read that if you fail to love your family as a Christian, you are a worse than an unbeliever. So I knew that even if that auditory voice was hallucinated, it was a good reminder that I should love my family. I personally think it was not hallucinated, but either way it is irrelevant to loving your family. But other voices, I think were maybe hallucinated or something else strange that I should ignore.

- If you visually hallucinate, I would suggest ignoring it in all cases. Everything has to be tried and tested against God's word. Voices or visual stimuli. With visual stuff, you can't on-the-fly figure out what is going on from scripture, so ignore it first, and then reflect on it later if you want to. If you start finding things in scripture about it, or think there is something in your life you need to change according to the Bible with correct interpretation, then move in that direction.

In my case, I have had mental illness but then also have had discerning of spirits in operation where I would see a demon that was legitimately there spiritually. So sometimes I would see a fake hallucination in the past, and then other times a real thing that I am supposed to address according to the word of God.

What I did was ignore both. If it was a God thing, God will remind me of it, and continue at reminding me of the issue until that issue is resolved spiritually. If it's just a one-off thing, it's better to just ignore it.

But if you go chasing every little thing you see as if it had any significance, you're doing it wrong. Demons never have significance, nor really angels of God that much, nor spirits... just Jesus. Chase after Christ according to what you see in scripture.

Just the other day, I had discerning of spirits where I saw a demon trying to come into our prayer group. I saw the demon and what did I do about it? Nothing. Whatever he will try will fail, by the atonement of Jesus Christ, so I am not threatened by it.

-----------------

How to Hear from God

Learn from the Bible with humility. A stronghold of delusions is pride. People want to be special, people want to have this big thing from God, and we get into pride and it feeds the mental illness.

No, rather being led by God is doing that simple thing you read out of the word, that thing you probably didn't feel like doing but knew you should. Pray to God and ask for help with it, and then try to do it, and God will show up to help you. This is when you have heard from God.

For example, I saw one thread here about someone wanting to be a prophet, but he has a mental illness and deleted his post. He decided it was just delusions. What the devil will do, is try to use your mental illness against you, and just have you dismiss everything both good and bad.

If he is wanting to be a prophet in his delusions, then in his heart, he probably has that desire to prophesy. But he probably has pride and is not doing it right, and this is causing the issues along with the mental illness so to be safe he has to give up on all of it, which is a good move, but there is a way out of that!

I would suggest just keep seeking God, and to also realize that many of these spiritual gifts are not so big and grand as our delusions would have them be. I used to think prophesy was a big thing. But it's not a big thing, every Christian should desire prophesy and most of us should be doing it to some degree 1 Corinthians 14:5.

But how do you do it correctly with mental illness? What you will end up doing is either be healed of the mental illness, or learn to identify your mental illness and prophesy in-spite of it, not because of it.

I am not an expert on prophecy, though, so to actually teach on it, you would have to talk to someone who was. But I am just saying it can be done with mental illness, but you see, doing it wont involve your mental illness. You will have to have succeeded in shoving that aside with God's help, or just being completely healed by the grace of God, in order to manifest the gift of God correctly. Being very cautious is good because this is wisdom from the Bible, and it is how you will begin shoving out that mental illness so you can learn to have spiritual gifts correctly not associated with mental illness. Admitting our shortcomings is good, and after we do so, we should get hope and faith going to realize we can surpass our shortcomings in Christ. But hope and faith in scripture, is not pride, or hurts, or needs which delusions work off of.

If you're a mentally ill person in Christ, I would not neglect the very basics!

Acts 2:38 - Repent to God of that you're a sinner and it is hopeless without Christ, receiving Christ in your heart by making him your Lord, be water baptized, and then also receive the Holy Ghost with speaking in tongues and/or prophecy.

When I was mentally ill, there were a couple times it got bad and I knew not what to pray to God, so I spoke in tongues as a prayer language which speaks mysteries to God (1 Corinthians 14:2). I could feel the illness leaving my body and my condition would improve.

But my mental illness persisted, and even after I was healed, it tried coming back once. I had forgotten to be water baptized, and one of the reasons it was neglected was because I was mentally ill!!! I had forgot this important step where I bury the old man into the depths, the old me who was mentally ill. After my water baptism I have been mentally healthier than a lot of "normal" people I know.

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,652.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Good points to consider. I would also add that God will speak to us in any way that we will receive as Him.

One person may get a word from God audibly, another may not.

Jas 1:5-6 If any of you need wisdom, you should ask God, and it will be given to you. God is generous and won't correct you for asking. But when you ask for something, you must have faith and not doubt. Anyone who doubts is like an ocean wave tossed around in a storm.

Spiritual revealed wisdom may come to us, but we have to be assured in our own hearts is it God.

A person with full blown Schizophrenia is unlikely to receive a lot from God in terms of spiritual revelations. They need to be healed first. They need to know God loves them and wants them well. Only from a position of wellness are they likely to be effective as a Spiritual voice.

Even a 100% sound of mind Christian, can become slightly delusional, as Satan can still speak to us. We can think even as a free Christian that we are hearing from God, and may not be. It is not always pride, or sin that allows this. Our desire to follow God whole heartedly can be taken advantage of in the Spirit realm by Satan.

Reactions: Razare
Upvote 0

lutherangerman

Jan 30, 2009
Eppendorf, Germany
✟17,788.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Take things easy and make the best of your freedom. God hasn't come to boss us around but to liberate us and give us a future and a hope. We submit to God, but that is like submitting to a loving father who is light and not darkness. Remember that Jesus went as far as taking away the Law of Moses so in effect we only have to remember God's law in the 10 commandments and Christ's law in the 2 love commandments, and they're fit for our conscience and we already obey it usually because God wrote these laws into our heart. It is these laws about which Apostle John writes they are not grievous and not hard to follow because our conscience gladly agrees with them and we can relate to them easily. Do not be caught up with other laws and rules so much because they only cause sin to come up and that kills you. Instead of being so super moralistic be ethical and pursue dignity rather than vain honors. For me that's in the will of God who is love. Be careful with the bible and check the old testament with the new one because the old testament has rather many portions where they use the law of sin and death to check people. That means, they issued hard commandments and if you don't manage to fulfill them you're under the threat of death. Christ's commandments are not such things and they're all centered on love and love bears anything and hopes everything.

Upvote 0

cannot be known

Aug 25, 2016
westernwashington
✟7,866.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
In my case, the audio hallucinations in which it was as if someone in the room spoke to me, those things have never been from God.

however, and this is a big problem for some, (because they refuse to accept this) there is no temptation or deception too great. for example, the last time an audio hallucination occurred, there was no response when i demanded it confess Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh (but even if a person is skeptical of 1 John 4:2), the voice said "it is too young" referring to a person. (i had been pondering whether or not a certain action was appropriate) God doesn't refer to a 14 year old boy as an "it" so clearly, not from God. Basically the grammar, context, any other information must be exactly accurate.

Upvote 0

lutherangerman

Jan 30, 2009
Eppendorf, Germany
✟17,788.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Maybe the devil hit you, @cannotbeknown. . Jesus once revealed to me that the devil does his many evils because he lives from it and wants to avoid to die with this. It's weird magic stuff. But in the Spirit you can unmask the devil in his character that is nothing against a human character (the breastplate of righteousness Paul writes about). Don't allow the devil to come between you and God, that's where he always tries to enter and sink hooks into you. Don't go by the law of Moses as that law does not define our righteousness anymore. Instead our righteousness is hidden in Christ because he creates it and it consists of his faithful and loving thoughts about us humans. Trust in what God thinks of you and has done for you, especially Christ's cross and resurrection, and that is faith.

Upvote 0

cannot be known

Aug 25, 2016
westernwashington
✟7,866.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Maybe the devil hit you, @cannotbeknown. . Jesus once revealed to me that the devil does his many evils because he lives from it and wants to avoid to die with this. It's weird magic stuff.

the only weird magic stuff going on here is you, calling upon satan to do something to me.

he can't.

Upvote 0

Razare

God gave me a throne
Nov 20, 2014
✟10,847.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Even a 100% sound of mind Christian, can become slightly delusional, as Satan can still speak to us. We can think even as a free Christian that we are hearing from God, and may not be. It is not always pride, or sin that allows this. Our desire to follow God whole heartedly can be taken advantage of in the Spirit realm by Satan.

It happened to the guy who rediscovered healing prayer for people:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Alexander_Dowie

He began praying for the sick, and they would be healed by Jesus. And because no one had done it much before, he thought he was the first in a long long time, so he decided this must be the return of Jesus and he decided he was Elijah.

A lot of people throw him under the bus, but really, he was an obedient Christian at first, most likely... he just believed scriptures and saw healing because of it. Then the devil came.

Upvote 0