Somewhere between Rivendell and Rohan
✟62,966.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Where did you grow up? For some reason I'm thinking PA? That sounds like an almost-Amish sort of upbringing :) It's definitely NOT like that where I live!

I think it's great to get back to local, natural, organic, fresh foods. I could never be a vegan, though, I love meat and eggs and cheese. We try to buy all that stuff locally, though :) We have a "meat guy" we use nearby, and a kid at church has chickens and gives us eggs all the time. Holla.

I really feel you about the diet sodas and sweeteners. I've been on-off addicted to soda all my life. And it really IS an addiction; when you cut it off, you get headaches, body aches, fatigue, all kinds of detoxing crud. Same with processed foods, sugar, carbs. I can always tell when I'm falling off the healthy bandwagon, I start to feel like crap and I crave carbs (sweets, breads, snacks).

Keep fighting the good fight! It's really worth it :) The more we get back to basics - locally supporting ourselves and our neighbors, the better off we all are.

Upvote 0

illudium_phosdex

Insert witty title here.
Dec 5, 2005
Alaska
✟14,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
My diet is a disaster. My husband was diagnosed with metabolic syndrome in April and was put on a kind of primal diet. He's done well on it. I tried it and found fairly rapidly that it is not for me. I got super depressed, like suicidally. By going back through old food journals, I found that I've never really eaten much more than about 1,000 calories a day but was able to bump that up to closer to 1,500 over the last few years but not the right way; an over abundance of Reece's Peanut Butter Cups, Dr. Pepper and ice cream. :blush: And yes, I gained weight and felt like dung which just goes to show that not all calories are created equal.

So after my husband's diagnosis, and the fact that I don't want to get that way, I decided to do some major overhauling. But eating healthy, I'm having a very hard time getting enough calories. I've been averaging about 750 most days and I actually felt really good, my mood was elevated and I had plenty of energy but then my naturopath had a hissy. So for the past 10 days or so I've done my level best to get up to the 1350 he wants me at which is actually just supposed to cover my RMR and I'm getting depressed again. He told me what to do to get my calories up in a healthy way so that's what I've been trying to do. There have been a few days I haven't made it and those are the days I feel best. This whole diet thing is just really bumming me out now.

Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
For anyone trying to lose weight, I would recommend the post-op bariatric surgery diet (Lap band, not bypass). It is a very healthy diet, but if you are strict about it, you will require a daily multivitamin. The maintenance diet for it is really easy: no white powder - meaning, no white flour, sugar, starch, cornstarch, yeast, salt, etc, and limit fats (choose lean brands of meats, olive oil over butter, etc). The trick is also to eat 6 meals a day of 100 - 150 calories each, and eating protein at every meal.

At first, you really crave the white stuff. When you do, eat a healthy alternative - fry a potato and season it with chives or onions rather than munch on sour cream and onion potato chips. In a month or so, you won't even crave sugars or doughy foods anymore, and will likely feel lousy after eating them.

This is a great diet! I lost 100 lbs on this diet, and only ever felt better when I was exercising an hour of cardio every day (in my 30's) and working in a physically demanding job as a nurse. I do not feel good when I am heavy - and was never heavy in my life till after my accident and a couple of years later when my [then] boyfriend died. Now, when I need to lose extra weight, this is the diet I go on.

Upvote 0