Head of Catholic college in Uk dismissed for being "too" religious

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProCommunioneFacior

I'm an ultra-traditionalist, run for your life ;)
Oct 30, 2003
Mesa, Arizona
Visit site
✟21,647.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Here is Fr. Finigan's take on it (he is somehow involved in the situation).

http://the-hermeneutic-of-continuity.blogspot.com/

Daily Mail article and compulsion in Catholic education

There's an article in the Daily Mail (for tomorrow's print edition) called "Head 'too religious' to run a Catholic college". I should make it clear (as I have to various journalists who have all been quite understanding) that I absolutely cannot speculate or comment in any way on the reason for the Principal's resignation, or the investigation into Leadership and Management, etc. (Nor will I publish any comments on this blog that speculate on those issues.) But, of course, there are some things that apply more generally and I'm happy enough to comment on those.

Generally, the Mail article doesn't have the anti-Catholic ring of yesterday's Guardian. Unfortunately, it does repeat the caricature of Barbara McGuigan - something that needs to be addressed more fully at some stage. I was amused to see that the Marian procession has now become "a procession around the playing field carrying religious icons."

The article ends:
Father Finigan said today: "It is ridiculous to call a Catholic institution too Catholic. The college is not in the business of compelling students."​
Actually, the two sentences were in separate parts of a conversation but you can't be too fussy about these things. Of course it is ridiculous to call a Catholic institution "too Catholic" - rather as it would be to call a sports college "too sporting".

As to "compulsion", it is true that no Catholic institution wants to be in the business of compelling students. The ideal is to encourage students to develop in their faith and to engage them in various activities including prayer, worship and religious education.

However, "compulsion" is a loaded word. There are some things that will be a part of the life of a Catholic school or College. You could say that pupils are "compelled" to attend registration, or that students studying physics are "compelled" to attend physics classes. Traditionally, there have always been pupils in schools who have complained about being "forced" to do sports. (The young Joseph Ratzinger himself hated sport at school!)

Naturally, as students get older, it is more important for the element of personal engagement to be encouraged. However, I am glad that the CES has not given in on the question of a change in the law for sixth forms. If students have a personal "right" to opt out of all religious activities, it would greatly hamper major events in a College or school. Exercising the right to "opt out" would apply across the board so that students could demand the right to stand outside while prayers were said at the beginning of a whole school event.

A Catholic educational institution should be able to have prayers and religious education at events that are for everyone without having to pick their way through some legal maze of "my rights". As so many people have commented in various places on the internet and in the community, if you apply to a Catholic institution, you must not be surprised if it is Catholic.

Upvote 0

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
From the article, I don't think she was dismissed for being too religious. It sounds more like she was dismissed for enforcing religiousity on the students rather harshly. Now whether in a Catholic school that's a problem or not is a different debate.

I was thinking about this too and I agree that as a general principle we should not to force people to participate in religious practices. That being said, by choosing a Catholic school with these policies, it seems one has consented to this kind of disciplined instruction.

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
From the article, I don't think she was dismissed for being too religious. It sounds more like she was dismissed for enforcing religiousity on the students rather harshly. Now whether in a Catholic school that's a problem or not is a different debate.
Yes, it sounds as though they disagreed with her administrative decisions, particularly pertaining to disciplinary action. My priest doesn't make me parade around the drill field carrying a statue of Mary every time I sin, and if anyone should be telling you to do such a thing, it should be a priest, and not the administrator of a college. It sounds like she was being particularly manipulative in enforcing religious practice. It's a good thing that she resigned, in my opinion. Religious devotion cannot, and should not, be forced on the masses. Also be aware that she resigned because of a "vote of no confidence" from the faculty, so it wasn't just the students who disagreed.

Upvote 0

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'll take anything (Up to and including the sky being blue) that I read in a London Tabloid with a mighty big spoonful of salt. These rags are even less reliable than the NYT ;)

The Daily Mail is one of the more conservative publications. Afterall, they do have the great Melanie Phillips column!:amen:

Upvote 0

Vedant

Veteran
Oct 4, 2003
✟2,245.00
Faith
Christian
I was thinking about this too and I agree that as a general principle we should not to force people to participate in religious practices. That being said, by choosing a Catholic school with these policies, it seems one has consented to this kind of disciplined instruction.

I believe college in the UK is the equivalent of highschool in the US. I don't know at what age children become adults in the UK, but they very well could be going to that school by their parents' choice and not their own.

Upvote 0

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
I believe college in the UK is the equivalent of highschool in the US. I don't know at what age children become adults in the UK, but they very well could be going to that school by their parents' choice and not their own.

In that case, if they are still minors, then their parents have consented and are paying for that kind of instruction and discipline.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 23, 2005
North Carolina
✟16,663.00
Faith
Christian
Before I read the article. I would like to say that it is possible to be too religous. I think it is anyway. Look at the suicide bombers who bombed the twin towers, over religion.

Ok I am going to read article now :))

Idk. It sounds as if some people saying that she is too judgemental and condescending

Seventeen pupils at the sixth form college were suspended for a day for missing Mass, while others were forced to take part in a procession around the playing field carrying religious icons.

I think this is really bad if this is true

Some said they were made to listen to a lecture by US evangelist Barbara McGuigan, who claimed homosexuality was a disorder and if pupils had an abortion they would go to hell.

and this if true
\
June Mrs Williams said the pupils who skipped Mass - one of two compulsory acts of worship held each term - were excluded for failing to follow staff instructions and they were openly defiant

To me it kind of sounds as if she is forcing her belief through other people

If this article is accurate, then I believe she should of resigned. It doesn't sound like it is part of the Catholic religion, because you don't see preists in a church making people doing laps around a field when they miss a weekend, and then call them openly defiant.

If i had the choice of going to this school though, and those were the rules. I would not go to that school. Those students did go to the school. yet still should not be forced to do what they had to do and acutally get suspended

Just my three cents

Upvote 0

benedictine

No Surrender, No desertion - Whatever Happens.
Nov 1, 2003
a round blue, brown and green sphere, floating in
Visit site
✟5,307.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
I have no problem with them being suspended for skipping mass, since it is held twice a term. That's like skipping your exams.

I think the procession is a little much. I also think the evangelist was a little much.

Here's the thing. There at a catholic educational institution. They should be grateful. There's a lot I would give for that.

Upvote 0

Markh

Extra Mariam Nulla Salus
Dec 12, 2003
London
Visit site
✟19,044.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why is the procession too much?

Did you not know that it is a strong English Catholic tradition to have processions around the grounds of a school!? It is quite common!

As for the homosexuality talk! It is a Catholic school, of course we should be teaching this!

We want to produce Catholics, not pathetic little liberal worldlings

Upvote 0

benedictine

No Surrender, No desertion - Whatever Happens.
Nov 1, 2003
a round blue, brown and green sphere, floating in
Visit site
✟5,307.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Why is the procession too much?

Did you not know that it is a strong English Catholic tradition to have processions around the grounds of a school!? It is quite common!

As for the homosexuality talk! It is a Catholic school, of course we should be teaching this!

We want to produce Catholics, not pathetic little liberal worldlings

Markh,

I know all that you say, remember I used to be a member of the Church of England's daughter church in the US.

I don't have a problem with processions (on the contrary, I like them very much), but in this instance, I don't know if they're pastorally appropriate.

As for the homosexuality talks, I also agree that we need to teach as you say. I just don't know if bringing an american evangelist is the best way to go about it.

Hope that clarifies.

Benedictine

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.