Fort Lauderdale, Florida
✟7,635.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm a new Christian. I've been going to Church, reading the bible and trying to live my life according to the bible. Everyone keeps telling me to pray. Pray in the morning, before I goto bed, before I eat, when I'm feeling lost, when I need strength, etc.

My only problem is I have a very difficult time trying to pray. I don't know why, but I feel very intimidated. I started by printing out the Lord's Prayer and putting it in my wallet. I read it at least once a day. Whenever I do, I feel incredibly better immediately after.

I was wondering if anyone else has had any difficulty praying. Maybe someone can tell me why I feel this way and how I can overcome it?​

M

Marycita

I don't know why you're having trouble...that's probably different for everyone, but I have experienced having trouble with prayer before.

It can be very intimidating - it shouldn't be, because God WANTS us to talk to Him, but I understand what you mean. I think it's great that you are praying the Lord's Prayer everyday :)

I don't know exactly what to suggest for you, but I can give you some ideas that have helped my prayer life. :) Setting aside time each morning, at some point throughout the day, and/or at night to pray helps - and do whatever you can to keep that time for Him. Also, I keep a prayer journal. I write out all my prayers, because it helps me focus more and I like to look back and see how God worked in situations. I put on Worship music while I pray most of the time as well. And I just talk to God like He's my best friend - because He is, but I mean I talk to Him in the same fashion.

I also once was told a helpful thing about the way to pray I suppose...it's PRAY
Praise
Repent
Ask for others
Yourself

Not that this is how you have to talk to Him all the time. There are times throughout the day, I just tell Him whatever I'm thinking ...but it's a helpful way to start when you're not sure exactly how.

Just a couple thoughts I had...I hope they help in some way.

I will be praying for you :) Welcome to the family, by the way :)

Upvote 0

MikeJ

Feb 3, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
✟7,635.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks Marycita. I like that PRAY acronym. I'll try to remember that. I also liked the idea about writing them down. This might sound stupid, but do you pray, then write them down? or write them down while your praying? Does that really count as praying if your sitting at a desk writing down your thoughts?

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Prayer is just communicating to God like you would a friend. Don't feel intimidated-God is our friend.

Personally, I pray before I eat and once a day as a routine. Sometimes I may pray more-like if I hear someone is in the hospital-I pray for them right away so I don't forget. I do have a prayer list-but have it memorized. The structure of my prayer is like this: I repent of my sins, praise God, thank God for his blessings,pray for the salvation of my family-like brothers, pray for my christian friends that they will grow in christ and continually to be a light to a dark world, their kids and parents. Pray for my church, pastor community, our schools and our government. Since Haiti had a disaster I pray for them. Your prayer may change a little because of the needs-but that is the jest of what my prayers consist of.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
M

Marycita

Thanks Marycita. I like that PRAY acronym. I'll try to remember that. I also liked the idea about writing them down. This might sound stupid, but do you pray, then write them down? or write them down while your praying? Does that really count as praying if your sitting at a desk writing down your thoughts?
I write them down - and they are my prayers...Sometimes I get lazy about the actual writing part (usually if my hand is getting tired) and I'll write out a name or a word and then pray about that person/thing....but mostly I write it all out

And the way I see it, of course they are prayers - prayer is just communication with God...and He wrote a letter to us in the Bible to communicate, so I figure I can write letters to Him ^_^

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To get you started, here are some helpful resources regarding prayer:
P r a y e r
Let us
Abbreviated Prayerbook
The Message of the Lord's Prayer

May God continue to guide you to Himself.
crosseo.gif

Upvote 0

hlaltimus

Nov 4, 2005
Arizona
✟1,553.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Moons are very poor facilities at producing light, but function fairly well at receiving and reflecting light in response to illumination from an outside source. We are all by nature cold, dark, and lifeless moons without the sun of Christ and his prevenient work of grace upon us, and this might just be a good place for you to start from in prayer.

Not that this is true at all in your life, but in the event of any known sin in your life of which you might be aware of at this time, toss it mercilessly out, and then ask God to convict you of any yet unknown sin, (which he will grant you at this point since you have already proven to be a good investment for his grace,) and then devote any possible sin issues to the flames of sanctifying purgation as well.

Then simply ask God to take the initiative to speak to you, and then wait patiently in trusting faith for him to do so until he does. Don't expect any audible voices in this matter, as the Holy Spirit of God is said to be the agent who will "convict the world of sin, righteousness and judgment", and conviction is an inward, moral persuasion, as opposed to an outward and audible communication which is very rare and always suspect as well.

In truth, it takes God, to pray to God, and once you have produced the favorable state or condition of being the very kind of person whom he would wish to speak to, a precedent will then be set for you give back unto him, that light and blessing which you are in reality are the recipient of. Ideal proper and spiritual prayer is a secondary or responsive operation, to the primary and causitive operation of God's grace upon your life. You need light from him, in order to shine light back unto him as the gracious source of all blessings in your experience, now or ever.

Proverbs 1:23 - "Turn at my reproof; Surely I will pour out my spirit on you; I will make my words known to you."

Upvote 0

Mister_Al

Jun 9, 2005
✟9,656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm constantly talking with God. But, that doesn't mean I'm constantly in a state of formal prayer to Him. Once you realize that He knows what you're going to say before you say it you'll become less rigid in your prayers and they'll start being easier say.

Just remember that although He is your God, He is also your Father, and your best friend. Also, when your talking with Him remember that He might have something to say to you as well.

Alan

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

send.the.rain

Feb 26, 2010
Washington DC
Visit site
✟7,742.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm a new Christian as well, and there are definitely times when it's hard for me to pray.
In my church group, we have been praying through the psalms and using them as a model to help us pray.
It also really helps me when others pray with me. It's a lot easier when you're not alone, and my friends have really helped to encourage me.
If I'm alone and I just don't know how to pray, I will often listen to some inspirational music, and pray along with the lyrics.
We may not be good at praying now, but we all have to start somewhere. And we can ask the Lord to help us to learn how to pray.

Upvote 0

ezeric

HE loves me too.
Mar 2, 2010
Canada but really in JESUS! (in HIS Covenant)
Visit site
✟12,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Prayer is simple - you are talking. (except to GOD).
Everyone that came to JESUS in Matthew,Mark, Luke, and John
were all praying.

Praying is like this:

When you were very young you had to learn to speak, learn to talk.
It took time and at first nobody knew what you were talking about. (GOD
always knows, even your un-voiced, unheard wimpers - HE's on it).

But after time you could speak, but as a young person you had to learn to
listen (not just speak).

That is also part of prayer - speaking (even if its inside yourself to GOD) and
listening - HE talks too!

Psalm 94:9 He who planted the ear, does He not hear? He who formed the eye, does He not see?

How do you know when you are praying right?
You get answer to your prayers!

Ask HIM (by prayer) to teach you how to pray.
Lastly be specific when you pray and watch the results!

-eric

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another acronym that some use is ACTS:

Adoration - praising
Confession - repenting
Thanksgiving - thanking
Supplication - asking

I pray in two ways. My confessions, thanksgiving, and supplication are usually very conversational and informal. God knows my heart, so why try to pick your words? For adoration and praise, I sometimes use more formal words... basically ad-libbing my own psalms. I just started this recently, and I'm enjoying it. Other times, it's just conversational like the rest. I return to the ACTS acronym because I tend to do plenty of asking and thanking, but not enough repenting and especially praising.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums