Have you ever encountered a fellow christian who mistreats you?

PinkPearl

Jan 5, 2014
✟25,648.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I worked at this Christian store awhile ago, the owner of the shop is a Christian herself and she visits the church regularly, yet she doesn't act like a Christian and she would frequently belittle me all the time.

She almost causes me to lose faith in my religion. Humans always let me down, even my fellow Christians had also let me down.

I guess I should start avoiding all humans and God is the only one I can place my faith in right now.

OJR

Weirdo
Jan 24, 2017
United States
✟8,313.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was a member of Mark Driscoll's church, haha. So I saw first-hand how aggressive and toxic behavior within a church can poison the well and trickle down to the everyday member.

Practically, I firmly believe that every day we make baby steps toward Christ or darkness. After a while, those decisions build up and snowball. Every one of us is fallen and are capable of being that woman who belittled you, or destroy a church out of pride, or physically hurting people.

I sometimes feel like locking myself away from people, but I can really never get away from it because I'm the piece of crap. lol

Reactions: Anguspure
Upvote 0

Anguspure

Kaitiaki Peacemakers NZ
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2011
New Zealand
✟125,935.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I worked at this Christian store awhile ago, the owner of the shop is a Christian herself and she visits the church regularly, yet she doesn't act like a Christian and she would frequently belittle me all the time.

She almost causes me to lose faith in my religion. Humans always let me down, even my fellow Christians had also let me down.

I guess I should start avoiding all humans and God is the only one I can place my faith in right now.
I also have experienced deep pain at the hands of my brothers and sisters.
Perhaps its because of the relationship in Christ that we have, that it's so painful.

Reactions: PinkPearl
Upvote 0

Wolfe

Pack Leader
Aug 24, 2016
United states
✟59,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Definitely.

I've been in fistfights with Christians before.
People screw up though man, don't discount them as people.

Sometimes people are just going through things that you don't know, and you unfortunate enough to be the buffer.
Not to say it's right, just saying they may just have a lot on their mind, weighing, and eating away at it.

Reactions: PinkPearl
Upvote 0

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟326,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, I was shunned. But we need to keep understanding who we are, and keep praying. I did, even though it seemed hopeless but God came through in His time and I was delivered.

I believe in the ultimate power of true belief in Jesus and never ending prayer. I'm sorry this happened, and I will pray for you.

All good things
Emmy

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The real question is at what point along the behavioral continuum does a person disqualify himself from deserving to be viewed as a legitimate Christian and enters the area where he is best described as a wolfish servant of Satan striving to pass himself off as a sheep. The book of Jude describes some individuals as cunningly sneaking into churches in order to do harm while feigning to be your brothers in the faith.

Upvote 0

Leevo

Feb 18, 2015
Tennessee
✟28,954.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Watch this video, and I guarantee it will help you. We need to fellowship with other Christians. The man in the video, Todd White, has helped me so much. Please watch all of it, it is roughly 4 minutes and I know it will help you.

Upvote 0

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Behavior does matter:

Matthew 7:15-20 (NKJV)
You Will Know Them by Their Fruits

15 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves. 16 You will know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes from thornbushes or figs from thistles? 17 Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi PP,

What? Since yesterday? No, things have been pretty good the last 24 hours. I don't understand why people consider giving up their faith in God because people let them down. How in the world does that compute? Look, repeat until understood: Man's heart is wicked! Who can know it? But no one's asking you to worship man. We are asked to worship and love God and to love others no matter how they treat us. Repeat until understood: Man's heart is wicked! Who can know it?

People are always going to let you down at one time or another. That's a fact of life. If you're married or when you do get married, your spouse is going to let you down about something at one time or another over the 60 or 70 years of your marriage. If you have a best friend for a very, very long time, they're going to let you down or not behave the way you think they should at one time or another. Your boss, your co-workers, they're all going to let you down about something at sometime if you have any kind of long term employment. Repeat until understood: Man's heart is wicked! Who can know it?

Look, nobody's asking you to follow your boss because you think she's a christian. What the Scriptures ask us to do is follow Jesus despite what anyone who may claim to have a relationship may do. Now, hopefully, if such a person that you have a relationship really is a born again believer (which is not the same as being a christian) then they will do the right thing, and even when they let you down they will later come and ask your forgiveness especially if you bring it their attention.

In Matthew's gospel we hear Jesus speak these words to his disciples:

Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me onthat day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Yourname, and in Your name drive out demons and performmany miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you workers of lawlessness.’…

Friend, all those people that Jesus is talking about, they're christians. Be strong in the faith that you have once believed and know is the only way of peace and satisfaction in both this life and the next, despite what others may do or say about you. What you're supposed to be seeking has no bearing on how others live their lives.

It almost makes me laugh. I can see it now. You huffing out the door after your boss badmouths you and your thinking to yourself, "Well, I'll show her! Hunh! I just won't be a believer in the one true God! That'll fix her wagon!"

You know what God asks you to do? Be compassionate and merciful to her. God's word says that if your brother sins against you that you are to go to him with your complaint. If you brother listens, then you have gained a friend. If not, take a witness. If still no gain, then tell it to the church. Now, you don't have to take any of those steps, but giving up your faith in God because of some percieved sin made against you by a brother. I haven't found that instruction yet.

God bless you,
In Christ, ted

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Yes.

We were once in a really dire financial position, and the worship leader at church (it was a little Pentecostal church) offered me a job. I thought it was an answer to prayer.

I ended up feeling obligated to and responsible for the children I worked with, and she started forgetting to pay me, having emergencies, supposedly mailing checks then blaming me that I never received them, etc. It was costing me money to drive to work everyday, and if I hadn't lived on a farm, with a wood burning fireplace, we literally would not be eating or keeping warm.

There was a three-day ice storm coming up (we were going to be locked in unable to drive for maybe five days), I was out of feed for the animals, and I called and begged her for some of my money so I could feed them so they wouldn't starve. She didn't bother to return my call.

It was a really hard winter that year.

There was a lot more, but that's enough to give an idea.

And I admit, I had a hard time bringing myself to church, having her lead the singing praises to God, knowing she was buying things for herself and for gifts, while we could barely eat and keep warm while she refused to pay me and lied about it.

It was bad for my spirit. I had to go to other churches, or stay home.

I've been treated worse by other people - to be honest, in her case, I don't think it was malicious at all - maybe just really bad management and selfishness. But I've had people maliciously try to hurt me. But they weren't leading worship in my church. It was a whole different lesson, and in some ways a harder one, to forgive less malicious bad treatment just BECAUSE it came from a Christian.

It made me think though, about how people see our mistakes too. If we are outspoken about our faith, we are held to a higher standard by the world, or else we bring reproach on the name of Christ.

I did forgive her. But it was pretty difficult. I had to struggle, pray for her, give it over to God MANY times (I kept taking it back!), and I really think the wound had to be a little less fresh. It wasn't easy for me, I confess.

As in everything that happens, there were great lessons. She recently lost her father, who was a dear Christian man, a preacher. I loved him. :) And I know she lost a son to an incurable disease just as he was almost grown. To be honest, now my heart breaks for her. I know how suffering can cause a person to kind of duck out of certain realities, and make a mess of their lives. I think maybe that's what happened to her. I can relate to that, and have compassion on her for it.

It taught me something. But I did learn that, for me, it was so much harder to forgive her at first because I felt she "should know better". But if I will extend mercy and forgiveness to a non-believer, because God wants me to be forgiving and merciful, how much more should I not be so with a sister in Christ? But in truth, it was not at all easy!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radrook

Feb 25, 2016
USA
Visit site
✟134,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Leaving God due to "brotherly" harassment might not be justifiable but leaving a certain church or a certain denomination which seems to produce and harbor such types of annoying individuals is. In fact, our continued association might result in us becoming just like them.

1 Corinthians 15:33
KJ21
Be not deceived: “Evil associations corrupt good manners.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,609.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

As in everything that happens, there were great lessons. She recently lost her father, who was a dear Christian man, a preacher. I loved him. :) And I know she lost a son to an incurable disease just as he was almost grown. To be honest, now my heart breaks for her. I know how suffering can cause a person to kind of duck out of certain realities, and make a mess of their lives. I think maybe that's what happened to her. I can relate to that, and have compassion on her for it.

Grief can completely mess up the brain, I know, losing my son I wanted to die. I couldn't face anyone and didn't go to church for a while.
I was gradually brought out of the pain and back into the world, by the love and grace shown to me by the Lord.
May the Lord bless you richly for the compassion that you have for her.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Grief can completely mess up the brain, I know, losing my son I wanted to die. I couldn't face anyone and didn't go to church for a while.
I was gradually brought out of the pain and back into the world, by the love and grace shown to me by the Lord.
May the Lord bless you richly for the compassion that you have for her.
God bless you, dear one.

I can't imagine the pain one must feel at losing a child. While this was going on, my own child had been taken (against legal orders) by her father and for several years I did not know where she was or if she was ok. (She has been restored to me and the damage healed, glory to God!) That probably made it harder for me to forgive the woman who did this because of what I was going through, but to be honest, what I knew of her experience haunted me. I can understand how it can completely disrupt a person's life, and I feel badly that it took me so long to forgive. I pray she has found some more comfort since then, but it really was a tragedy for her. My temporary loss can't begin to make me really understand.

I pray you find much comfort also, for the rest of your life, until the shining day when you are reunited with your son in the Lord.

God bless you.

Upvote 0

musicalpilgrim

pilgrim on the sacred music pathway
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Jan 11, 2012
East of Manchester
✟2,622,609.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I pray you find much comfort also, for the rest of your life, until the shining day when you are reunited with your son in the Lord.
Thank you so much for your prayer, it is a wonderful thought, that wonderful day, reunited in the presence of the Lord.
I am so relieved that you got your child back...

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you so much for your prayer, it is a wonderful thought, that wonderful day, reunited in the presence of the Lord.
I am so relieved that you got your child back...
You're welcome, and thank you!

And especially thankful to the Lord that she made it through well enough and came out the stronger for it, despite things that happened to her during that time. God is a master at redeeming evil for good.

God bless you.

Upvote 0

PureBliss

Jan 5, 2017
US
✟17,656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Even when Jesus was badly bruised,crucified and was about to die for sins that He never committed, He prayed for His tormenters/sinners and said,"Father forgive them for they know not what they do".Many of those People were Church goers and yet they crucified Him. Even His betrayer(JUDAS I.) was among the chosen twelve(12).
While it is very painful to be bullied or belittled by anyone especially among those of Christian faith who ought to be their Brother's keeper, it is advisable to follow the examples of Christ. Do not be discouraged. Never give up and keep believing that you are Somebody.
Shalom....

Last edited:
Upvote 0