Have you considered maybe we should worship on Saturday?

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Lately I have been wondering about the 10 Commandments. Why don't we worship on Saturday. When did it change and why?
Actually the Sabbath didn't change it was fulfilled in Christ. ( Heb. 4) We worship now on Sunday because the New Testament speaks of gathering on the first day of the week.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dan61861

7 days without God, makes one weak.
Jul 21, 2012
Valparaiso, Indiana
✟102,026.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Christ is our Sabbath, He is our rest. We are in Him, His work is finished. There is nothing we can add to Him, He is our hope, our rest.

We gather together on Sunday to celebrate, the day He rose. It's a new beginning, a new day, a new life in Christ our Lord. He is risen. A day to fellowship, worship and remember.

In Christ
Daniel

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
See above but also want to add probably because we are not jewish and dont follow the jewish tradition. I would say most baptist churches are made up of gentiles. There are seventh day baptists around though.

Also, the jewish calendar most gentiles do not follow. The sabbath is from sundown to sundown friday to saturday. So if you lived in the arctic circle it would be pretty long or short depending on the time of year! However, most people in many countries of the world have a working week and then a two day weekend, so we do have a rest on that day.

Upvote 0

Demetrius194

HolySprit+ClearConscience=Salvation
Oct 3, 2015
✟15,407.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lately I have been wondering about the 10 Commandments. Why don't we worship on Saturday. When did it change and why?
It says: "On the first day of the week, we gathered with the local believers to share in the Lord's Supper" (Acts 20:7). So Sunday is correct, being the first day of the week, since Sabbath, or Saturday, is the last. I am not sure why Monday and not Sunday is the first day of the week in the calendars we use (though some calendars on PC do ask if Sunday is the first day), but in Hebrew calendar Sabbath is the last day of the week.

Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Centre-right conservative Christian-Democrat
Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

The Ten Commandments are no longer binding on Christians. The Jewish Law has served its purpose in the past, but it is not to be still used today.

We worship on Sunday because Christians would gather on Sunday, in accordance with the celebration of the day when Jesus rose from the dead.

By the way, Sabbath did no change from Saturday to Sunday. The Jewish Sabbath has been revoked, because it contained many instructions that we do not follow today. Today, we do not have a Sabbath; we simply gather to worship together on Sunday.

Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
[…] So Sunday is correct, being the first day of the week, since Sabbath, or Saturday, is the last. I am not sure why Monday and not Sunday is the first day of the week in the calendars we use (though some calendars on PC do ask if Sunday is the first day), but in Hebrew calendar Sabbath is the last day of the week.

Sunday has always been traditionally the first day of the week. The fact that some calendars make Monday the first day of the week is because, with our modern English week, which makes Saturday and Sunday two days of rest we call ‘weekend’, it seems to make sense to put them at the end of the week.

The fact that the week begins of Sunday is reflected in the Portuguese weekday names:
  1. Sunday — Domingo, which comes from Latin Domenica (or something like that), which means ‘the Lord's Day’
  2. Monday — Segunda-feira, which literally means ‘Second fair’
  3. Tuesday — Terça-feira, which literally means ‘Third fair’
  4. Wednesday — Quarta-feira, which literally means ‘Fourth fair’
  5. Thursday — Quinta-feira, which literally means ‘Fifth fair’
  6. Friday — Sexta-feira, which literally means ‘Sixth fair’
  7. Saturday — Sábado, which is the same Portuguese word as for ‘Sabbath’
This is also reflected in the German name for Wednesday — Mittwoch —, which literally means ‘mid-week’.

Upvote 0

The Portuguese Baptist

Oct 17, 2015
Lisbon, Portugal
✟18,877.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Genesis 2.2-3

2.And by the Seventh Day GOD completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the Seventh Day from all His work which He had done.

3.The GOD blessed the Seventh Day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which GOD had created and made.

SABBATH AS THE REQUIREMENT OF SALVATION

Isaiah 56.1-2.4.6-7

1.Thus says the Lord: Maintain Justice and do what is Right, soon My salvation will come and My deliverance be revealed.

2.Happy is the mortal who does this, the one who holds it fast, who keeps the Sabbath, not profaning it, and refrains from doing any evil.

4.Thus says the Lord: "To the eunuchs who keep My Sabbaths, who choose the things that please Me and hold fast My Covenant,

6.and the foreigners who join themselves to the Lord to minister Him, to love the name of the Lord and to be His servants, all who keep the Sabbath and do not profane it and hold fast My Covenant,

7.these I will bring to My holy mountain and make them joyful in My House of prayer, their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be accepted on My altar, My House shall be called a “House of prayer for all people." (Isaiah 56.7) (Jeremiah 7.11) (Matthew 21.13) (Mark 11.17) (Luke 19.46)

SABBATH AS A DELIGHT IN THE LORD

Isaiah 58.13-14

13."If you refrain from trampling the Sabbath, from pursuing your own interests on My holy Day, if you call the Sabbath a delight and the holy Day of the Lord honorable, if you honor it, not going your own ways, serving your own interests or pursuing your own affairs,

14.then you shall take delight in the Lord, and I will make you ride upon the heights of the Earth, I will feed you with the heritage of your ancestor Jacob, the mouth of the Lord has spoken."

Isaiah 66.23

23.”And it shall be from new moon to new moon, and from Sabbath to Sabbath, all mankind will come to bow down before Me”, says the Lord.

SON OF MEN IS THE LORD OF THE SABBATH
Matthew 12.8

8.”The Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath."

Mark 2.27-28

27.Then He said to them, “TheSabbath was made for humankind and not humankind for the Sabbath,

28.so the Son of man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”

If Jesus Christ is our Lord and He also is the Lord of the Sabbath, how when we disobey His Sabbath, which He Himself obeyed and also the Lord of it?

Luke 6.5

”The Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath."

SABBATH AS FORGIVENESS OF DEBT
Deuteronomy 15.1-3.9

Laws concerning the Sabbatical Years (every Seventh Year) to grant remission of debts.1.Every Seventh Year you shall grant a remission of debts.

2.And this is the manner of the remission, every creditor shall remit the claim that is held against a neighbor, not exacting it of a neighbor who is a member of the community, because the Lord's remission has been proclaimed.

9.Be careful, that you do not allow a mean thought thinking, "The Seventh Year, the year of remission is near," and therefore view your needy neighbor with hostility and give nothing, your neighbor might cry to the Lord against you, and you would incur guilt.

Hebrews 4.3-4.6.9-11

3.We who have believed enter that rest, just as He has said, "As I swore in My wrath, they shall not enter My rest." (Psalm 95.8-11) (Numbers 14.29-35) (Hebrews 3.11.18, 4.3-6.9-11), although His works were finished from the foundation of the world.

4.He has thus said somewhere concerning the Seventh Day, "And GOD rested on the Seventh Dayfrom all His works" (Genesis 2.2),

5.and again in this passage, "They shall not enter My rest." (Psalm 95.8-11) (Numbers 14.29-35) (Hebrews 3.11.18, 4.3-6.9-11)

6.Since it remains for some to enter it and those who formerly had *Good News (Promise of blessings for obedience in the land of Canaan, and the coming of the Prophet like Moses the Jesus Christ, and His New Covenant) preached to them failed to enter, because of disobedience,

9.There remains a Sabbath rest for the people of GOD. (Psalm 95.8-11) (Numbers 14.29-35) (Hebrews 3.11.18, 4.3-6.9-11)

10.The one who has entered His rest, has himself also rested from his works, as GOD did from His.

11.Let us be diligent to enter that rest, and not fall through following the same example of disobedience.

(Psalm 95.8-11) (Numbers 14.29-35) (Hebrews 3.11.18, 4.3-6.9-11)

Isaiah 66.23

23.”And it shall be from new moon to new moon, and from Sabbath to Sabbath, all mankind will come to bow down before Me”, says the Lord.

Someone said here that the Christians no longer under 10 Commandments, actually they are under 10 Commandments.

Each statement of Jesus Christ directly or indirectly related to 10 Commandments, and to the rest of the Spiritual Law of Moses, and if you have no 10 Commandments you actually have nothing, you have no Law, and without Law there is no Christians in existence.

Jesus Christ took only Spiritual Commandments of the Law and gave it to us, because they are still relevant and essential and significant and today and in the future.

But the physical rituals and the other Laws concerning food and so on, indeed no longer applicable.

Really? Sabbath necessary for salvation? The Bible says otherwise: ‘For we maintain that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law’ (Romans 3:28).

And where does Jesus say we now only have to follow the spiritual part of the Jewish Law?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Genesis 2.2-3

2.And by the Seventh Day GOD completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the Seventh Day from all His work which He had done.

3.The GOD blessed the Seventh Day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which GOD had created and made.

SABBATH AS THE REQUIREMENT OF SALVATION

Isaiah 56.1-2.4.6-7

1.Thus says the Lord: Maintain Justice and do what is Right, soon My salvation will come and My deliverance be revealed.

2.Happy is the mortal who does this, the one who holds it fast, who keeps the Sabbath, not profaning it, and refrains from doing any evil.

4.Thus says the Lord: "To the eunuchs who keep My Sabbaths, who choose the things that please Me and hold fast My Covenant,

6.and the foreigners who join themselves to the Lord to minister Him, to love the name of the Lord and to be His servants, all who keep the Sabbath and do not profane it and hold fast My Covenant,

7.these I will bring to My holy mountain and make them joyful in My House of prayer, their burnt offerings and their sacrifices will be accepted on My altar, My House shall be called a “House of prayer for all people." (Isaiah 56.7) (Jeremiah 7.11) (Matthew 21.13) (Mark 11.17) (Luke 19.46)

SABBATH AS A DELIGHT IN THE LORD

Isaiah 58.13-14

13."If you refrain from trampling the Sabbath, from pursuing your own interests on My holy Day, if you call the Sabbath a delight and the holy Day of the Lord honorable, if you honor it, not going your own ways, serving your own interests or pursuing your own affairs,

14.then you shall take delight in the Lord, and I will make you ride upon the heights of the Earth, I will feed you with the heritage of your ancestor Jacob, the mouth of the Lord has spoken."

Isaiah 66.23

SON OF MEN IS THE LORD OF THE SABBATH
Matthew 12.8

8.”The Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath."

Mark 2.27-28

27.Then He said to them, “TheSabbath was made for humankind and not humankind for the Sabbath,

28.so the Son of man is Lord even of the Sabbath.”

If Jesus Christ is our Lord and He also is the Lord of the Sabbath, how when we disobey His Sabbath, which He Himself obeyed and also the Lord of it?

Luke 6.5

”The Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath."

SABBATH AS FORGIVENESS OF DEBT
Deuteronomy 15.1-3.9

Laws concerning the Sabbatical Years (every Seventh Year) to grant remission of debts.1.Every Seventh Year you shall grant a remission of debts.

2.And this is the manner of the remission, every creditor shall remit the claim that is held against a neighbor, not exacting it of a neighbor who is a member of the community, because the Lord's remission has been proclaimed.

9.Be careful, that you do not allow a mean thought thinking, "The Seventh Year, the year of remission is near," and therefore view your needy neighbor with hostility and give nothing, your neighbor might cry to the Lord against you, and you would incur guilt.

Hebrews 4.3-4.6.9-11

3.We who have believed enter that rest, just as He has said, "As I swore in My wrath, they shall not enter My rest." (Psalm 95.8-11) (Numbers 14.29-35) (Hebrews 3.11.18, 4.3-6.9-11), although His works were finished from the foundation of the world.

4.He has thus said somewhere concerning the Seventh Day, "And GOD rested on the Seventh Dayfrom all His works" (Genesis 2.2),

5.and again in this passage, "They shall not enter My rest." (Psalm 95.8-11) (Numbers 14.29-35) (Hebrews 3.11.18, 4.3-6.9-11)

6.Since it remains for some to enter it and those who formerly had *Good News (Promise of blessings for obedience in the land of Canaan, and the coming of the Prophet like Moses the Jesus Christ, and His New Covenant) preached to them failed to enter, because of disobedience,

9.There remains a Sabbath rest for the people of GOD. (Psalm 95.8-11) (Numbers 14.29-35) (Hebrews 3.11.18, 4.3-6.9-11)

10.The one who has entered His rest, has himself also rested from his works, as GOD did from His.

11.Let us be diligent to enter that rest, and not fall through following the same example of disobedience.

(Psalm 95.8-11) (Numbers 14.29-35) (Hebrews 3.11.18, 4.3-6.9-11)

Isaiah 66.23

Someone said here that the Christians no longer under 10 Commandments, actually they are under 10 Commandments.

Each statement of Jesus Christ directly or indirectly related to 10 Commandments, and to the rest of the Spiritual Law of Moses, and if you have no 10 Commandments you actually have nothing, you have no Law, and without Law there is no Christians in existence.

Jesus Christ took only Spiritual Commandments of the Law and gave it to us, because they are still relevant and essential and significant and today and in the future.

But the physical rituals and the other Laws concerning food and so on, indeed no longer applicable.
You are obviously not a Baptist and therefore cannot promote your false doctrine here.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It changed because the gentile leaders of the church decided to change it. In 135 ad there was another uprising in Jerusalem that ended very badly for the Jews. Rome uprooted the survivors and spread them thru the entire empire, brought in (forcibly) Arabs from a number of places, Name them Palistinians and renamed the Judea province to Palestina. Rome also persecuted any and all Jews in the empire. So the gentile leaders of the church did everything they could to look non-Jewish. They stopped using Hebrew. They stopped meeting on Saturday. They stopped circumcising their boys. They started eating pork.

All to avoid persecution.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well the gentile leaders weren't jewish in the first place so they weren't doing jewish things anyway. Paul, who was apostle to the gentiles, still affirmed he was Jewish by birthright. But subsequent gentile converts did not have to become jewish.

This was all sorted out in the book of Acts, you can read.
Peter thought that God only wanted to save the israelites, but God showed him in a vision that he COULD eat with the gentiles. It was not to avoid persecution, it was so they could preach the message and fellowship with the gentiles, who God also wanted to save.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi farout,

Well, I honestly don't think that there is anything in the 10 commandments concerning 'worship' or when we should gather to praise God. Many seem to equate the Sabbath commandment with worship, but it honestly has nothing to do with worship. The Sabbath command is that every seven days one shall not do any work. That's it! Neither shall one allow his manservant or maidservant or any foreigner living among them to work. Do not work! Six days shall you do your work, but on the seventh day, it is a day of rest. For in six days God created the heavens and the earth and all that is them, and on the seventh He rested.

Believe it or not, but if you worship on the Sabbath and you have a pastor and associate pastors and youth leaders and choir director, they are working. Many of the mega churches today have a security team and other paid staff. Worship on Sunday or any other day of the week you choose, but if keeping the Sabbath is what you seek, don't hold your worship gatherings on the Sabbath.

God bless you,
In Christ, Ted

Reactions: jef1225
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yea, its a day of rest. We worship every day and gather together on Sunday, but we can rest on Saturday as well. Actually in the western world we have bonus because we have the sabbath AND the Lords Day as TWO days off work. I mean if you have a mon-fri job, or go to school that is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
study has shown the body and mind need a day of rest a week, but we worship in spirit being of spirit. Which means as long you take one day of the week to reflect on God and rest in Him you are keeping the Sabbath. Doing work on the Sabbath is permitted also as long as it is God's work.

Reactions: jef1225
Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Actually the Sabbath didn't change it was fulfilled in Christ. ( Heb. 4) We worship now on Sunday because the New Testament speaks of gathering on the first day of the week.
Correct. The Bible also speaks about "the Lord's Day" and how the apostle John was in the Spirit on the Lord's Day. The Lord's Day is the first day of the week, and Christians (at least) should refer to Sunday as the Lord's Day. It is significant that the Feast of Pentecost (which is a type of the harvest of the Church) was on "the morrow after the sabbath" which would be the first day of the week. Thus the Holy Spirit was poured out from Heaven on the first day of the week, and about 5,000 souls were "added to the Church" on that same day.

The significance of the first day of the week (as well as the eighth day) is quite clear in Scripture. Christ arose on the first day of the week, He was worshipped on the first day of the week, and the disciples met to break bread (the Lord's Supper) on the first day of the week. Paul also instructs Christians to bring their offerings on the first day of the week. Justin Martyr (c. 150 AD) writes about how Christians worshipped on the first day of the week (which he also refers to as the day of the sun).

We often forget that Jesus said that (a) He is Lord of the sabbath (meaning that He can do as He pleases with it) and (2) that the sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath. Christians are said to have entered into God's sabbath rest by faith in Christ, so Christians are continuously observing the sabbath.

But the Lord's Day is now for worship and rest, and fulfils the function of the sabbath as given to Israel (which was constantly violated by the Israelites). Sabbatarians are going to argue up and down that the Lord's Day means nothing, but the Holy Spirit called the first day of the week "the Lord's Day" for some very good reasons.

Upvote 0