Blackwater Babe

Jan 10, 2011
United States
✟8,940.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Libertarian
I watched the entire first two seasons of the British original. It was... fantastic... I can't remember when or if I have ever been so moved by a TV show, where the characters were realistic, not cardboard cutout caricatures and you could get emotionally involved in their lives and stories. Yes, it deals with drugs, and sex, and, if one actually watches it, rather than hysterically leaping for the complaints department number the instant a bit of skin is revealed, you'd see that it most certainly does NOT portray them in a positive light. When Chris died, I wept like a child, and I don't care who knows it.

But I guess network executives are right when they assume the bulk of the American audience can't follow a storyline that involves more than a single episode, and lacks the insight to appreciate anything but the most direct and obvious spelled out messages. Getting worked up about Skins as showing teenage sex and drugs in a positive light is pretty much as nonsensical as making similar claims about Romeo and Juliet. Yes... in the first 10 minutes, teenage sex and drugs might seem to be presented as glamourous... but if you actually... you know... watch and think about the whole thing, you will relaise it is anything but! *sigh* but we are Americans. If anything requires more thought than a bumpersticker length soundbite or involves any sort of introspection or nuance, we can't cope.

Very, very sad *sigh*

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wouldn't know. Its the only channel that I have on parental block from myself.

And I am not kidding.
^_^

I was addicted to Real World once.

Then there were those disgusting Rock of Love shows... I felt like a deer caught in the headlights.

And an irresistible need for a shower.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Steward of proportionality- I Cor 13:1, 1 Tim 3:15
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
^_^

I was addicted to Real World once.

Then there were those disgusting Rock of Love shows... I felt like a deer caught in the headlights.

And an irresistible need for a shower.

I blocked it because of the frequency of the F word thats on it at night and to protect kids who use my set.

I think it was South Park and some other fornication crap that pushed me to do it.

Garbage in = Garbage out as far as I am concerned.

Funny is one thing, near occasion or permissiveness of sin is another. ;)

I don't care to be desensitized to drugs, sex, inappropriate content, vulgar language, violence or other debaucherous things that cause people nothing but painful oppressions.

If anyone sees nothing wrong with it then they can go watch their own TV and pay their own cable bill.

As for me and my house we will serve the Lord ~ Joshua 24:15

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I blocked it because of the frequency of the F word thats on it at night and to protect kids who use my set.

I think it was South Park and some other fornication crap that pushed me to do it.

Garbage in = Garbage out as far as I am concerned.

Funny is one thing, near occasion or permissiveness of sin is another. ;)

I don't care to be desensitized to drugs, sex, inappropriate content, vulgar language, violence or other debaucherous things that cause people nothing but painful oppressions.

If anyone sees nothing wrong with it then they can go watch their own TV and pay their own cable bill.

As for me and my house we will serve the Lord ~ Joshua 24:15
Wisdom is a wonderful gift. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Joshua G.

Mar 5, 2009
U.S.A.
✟5,328.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
But I guess network executives are right when they assume the bulk of the American audience can't follow a storyline that involves more than a single episode, *

I think this is a drastic oversimplification. 24, lost, V, desperate housewives, grey's anatomy, brothers & sisters are just a few shows that come to mind that don't leave you needing to see the rest of the season (and beyond) to get what's going on. I'm not saying that that makes these shows any more highbrow than the middle, the office or king of queens. In fact, if you compare the office (US) and the office (UK), the US version got deeper into storylines on the get go than the UK version. Again, I don't think that means our tv is better than theirs, but if anyone is in to meatier story lines that transcend one episode it is without a doubt us.

And for a third time, I don't think that proves us better thinkers or anything like that. It's just cultural preference.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's a guilty pleasure of mine too. Not proud of it. However it does make very astute observations on the stupidity of humans.. perhaps more astute than any other tv show.

Most inappropriate contentography does.

Upvote 0

Blackwater Babe

Jan 10, 2011
United States
✟8,940.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Libertarian
Most inappropriate contentography does.
*weak voice* What?

First of all, there is no inappropriate contentography in skins.

Second, if you think most inappropriate contentography... or even any inappropriate contentography, is "astute"... well... we must have some very different experiences. Lets leave it at that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JoabAnias

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was referring to South Park. I don't even know what skins is. I don't have cable. And I second what Blackwater said. That doesn't make any sense.

South Park is every bit as grotesque as every other form of inappropriate contentography.

There is nothing healthy about inappropriate contentography of any kind.

Its disgusting and extremely offensive debauchery in the eyes of God.

I don't care what anyone says. I come from the same gutter as that trash. I was saved from there by Jesus.

What doesn't make sense is someone claiming to be a Christian but not giving a damn what is offensive to God.

We all have to grow up some time.

Upvote 0

JoabAnias

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2007
✟82,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Never a great phrase to hear when one is seeking enlightened discussion.

It is when put in this context:

MTV's programing is about as dark as it gets.

No one sincere about following Jesus needlessly subjects them selves to such sick ignorance just to look for the scant glimmer of goodness.

Don't hold me responsible for anyones rationalization of such trashy garbage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Admittedly, the Egyptian uprising, the nullification of Obamacare and the ongoing ramifications of “Snowpocolypse 2011” could render the controversy about an MTV program insignificant by comparison.

After all, MTV is only out to destroy an entire generation. No big deal.

“Skins” is yet another television import from the U.K., brought to the U.S. by creator Bryan Elsley. It portrays teenagers — several played by actual teens, not older actors — engaging in all manner of immoral, illegal and unethical situations. The show is built around story lines that glamorize promiscuous sex, sexuality exploration, drug and alcohol abuse, illegal activities including selling drugs, disrespectful attitudes toward adults, graphic language, hypersexual attire, profanity and more.

It’s every parent’s nightmare. And it’s targeted directly at children ages 12 to 18.

Continued- http://catholicexchange.com/2011/02/04/147310/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Andrew Ryan

I like any king that can reign with his fist
Dec 18, 2010
Rapture
✟17,136.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Maybe it's just because I'm a sailor and cursing to me is in one ear and out the other but I honestly don't think South Park is that bad. Sure, some of the episodes are a little vulgar but a lot of the episodes, particularly the newer ones aren't that bad. I'm a fan and have been since it first aired.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe it's just because I'm a sailor and cursing to me is in one ear and out the other but I honestly don't think South Park is that bad. Sure, some of the episodes are a little vulgar but a lot of the episodes, particularly the newer ones aren't that bad. I'm a fan and have been since it first aired.
G.D. is used constantly. It makes me cringe. I don't deny that there is funny commentary on current culture but a lot of it is offensive just to be offensive. It's the whole (I'm edgy) fad.

Upvote 0

Andrew Ryan

I like any king that can reign with his fist
Dec 18, 2010
Rapture
✟17,136.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
G.D. is used constantly. It makes me cringe. I don't deny that there is funny commentary on current culture but a lot of it is offensive just to be offensive. It's the whole (I'm edgy) fad.

This is true and to some extent I can agree with you but I'm not really in a profession where I can cringe or get annoyed with cursing, sadly it's just white noise to me.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is true and to some extent I can agree with you but I'm not really in a profession where I can cringe or get annoyed with cursing, sadly it's just white noise to me.
Thou shall not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.

It's something you should sensitize yourself to.

Upvote 0

Joshua G.

Mar 5, 2009
U.S.A.
✟5,328.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
South Park is every bit as grotesque as every other form of inappropriate contentography.

There is nothing healthy about inappropriate contentography of any kind.

Its disgusting and extremely offensive debauchery in the eyes of God.

I don't care what anyone says. I come from the same gutter as that trash. I was saved from there by Jesus.

What doesn't make sense is someone claiming to be a Christian but not giving a damn what is offensive to God.

We all have to grow up some time.

Okay, that's fine you feel that way, but it's not inappropriate contentography, even if it's just as bad (many would say lying is just as bad as gossiping about things that are true, but that doesn't make them synonomous).

The easiest thing would have just been to say "Oh, I thought you were talking about skins

and I would have said "Yeah, my bad, I should have been clearer"

and then you could have said "but why do you watch that, it's not good at all. In fact, I would say it's just as bad a inappropriate contentography"

and I would have said "Hmmm, I disagree with you on that. But that said, it's still not very defensibile to watch because it doesn't edify my soul, much the opposite. So, I can't really defend it."

And then you could have said "You should probably start watching it then"

and I would have said "yeah, you have a point. I should. I'm glad we had this conversation"

and then I you would have said "Yeah, me too. Hey Josh, you're a good guy, we should have a beer together"

and then I would have said "Sounds great. You're a good guy too Joan. In fact, I'm going to be in your neck of the woods soon, why don't we do that."

and then we would have had that beer during which you would have convinced me that the RCC is the true Church

and then I would have converted.

But now that's all lost and I am still Orthodox.

Josh

Upvote 0