Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The teen-focused cable channel, pleased by 'Skins' premiere audience, gets stung with child inappropriate contentography complaints. Will they profit from the buzz anyway?

NEW YORK — A parents group with 1.3 million members has called for child inappropriate contentography charges against the makers of Skins, the new TV comedy-drama ostensibly aimed at a teen audience and realistically depicting teen life.

“Whether it is realistic or not is beside the point if it violates child inappropriate contentography laws,” said Melissa Henson, communications director for the Parents Television Council.

The show’s opening audience on Jan. 17 was 3.3 million, including more than a million school-age children and teenagers.

The Parents Television Council, which has 53 chapters across the U.S., said the show is packed with references to sex, drug and alcohol activity, but short on consequences.

It has asked the Department of Justice and the Senate and House judiciary committees to determine if charges should be brought against Skins’ producers and distributors under several child sexual exploitation laws.

The producers include MTV, MTV Canada (the filming is in Toronto) and All3Media, the makers of the original, British-based version of Skins, where it has already been running since 2007, without any fuss, say the show’s defenders, other than winning awards.

Well, some fuss anyway, since English and Irish police complained of a rash of “Skins” parties that resulted in the trashing of homes, named after the party that climaxed the opening Skins episode in 2007. Maybe this is why the new series, though it mostly follows the original’s plotting, ends its pilot episode not with a destructive party but with the inebriated main characters driving their car into a, fortunately shallow, reservoir.

Continued- http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/has-mtv-gone-too-far/

higherFaith

Dec 4, 2010
Whitechapel, London. (1888)
✟9,255.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative
Never have watched Skins. I don't trust much of anything that comes from Channel 4 save for few that I enjoy. US version can't be much cop. However saying that, TV is headed that way now, so might as well just accept it. For every 1 protester there are another 10 who support it. Numbers game in the end. Sad but true.

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
i hope the charges are forthcoming- although i have no personal knowledge of the show or that it even existed until a couple weeks ago whispers of child inappropriate content allegations were being brought by msnbc and hn

recently, Catholic Radio has been running a counter ad dealing with a documentary done by mtv in regards to a young couple struggling with the issue of abortion

refuting the documentarys statement over and over that the couple was deciding whether or not to have a baby

Catholic Radio pointed out that the couple already had a baby- they were questioning whether or not to kill it- not whether or not they were going to have one

Upvote 0

Andrew Ryan

I like any king that can reign with his fist
Dec 18, 2010
Rapture
✟17,136.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
I thought MTV went to far with this Teen Mom and Jersey Shore and all this. I have seen commercial for this Skins and I'm disgusted. I call for a boycott of MTV. I'm sick of this garbage being on TV for all the youth to see and think this perverse and obscene behavior is normal or acceptable when it's not. Teen pregnancy is not something that should be tolerated or casual sex or drug use or alcoholism or any of this filth.

Upvote 0
D

Deleteriousnonsense

What is the actual law that was violated?

The article doesn't say. Probably some nudity, I suppose. If the person is of age and depicting an underage person I don't know if that would count, though. Could just be the overall salacious tone is being called inappropriate contentographic, but then there would have to be no redeeming social value at the very least.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,459.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The article doesn't say. Probably some nudity, I suppose. If the person is of age and depicting an underage person I don't know if that would count, though. Could just be the overall salacious tone is being called inappropriate contentographic, but then there would have to be no redeeming social value at the very least.

one would think that stating they're violating child inappropriate contentography law a very serious matter that you wouldn't throw about wily nilly though. Sorta like crying wolf, you make enough false charges, when it really happens no one is likely to believe you.

Upvote 0
D

Deleteriousnonsense

one would think that stating they're violating child inappropriate contentography law a very serious matter that you wouldn't throw about wily nilly though. Sorta like crying wolf, you make enough false charges, when it really happens no one is likely to believe you.

Yes if there is no direct violation of the law, then it probably won't accomplish much to make that accusation, especially when you consider that two-thirds of the audience were adults. It could even have the opposite effect, as you suggest. There's an old adage in show business: "No publicity is bad publicity."

Upvote 0

Andrew Ryan

I like any king that can reign with his fist
Dec 18, 2010
Rapture
✟17,136.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
I stopped watching cable TV and I don't miss it at all :)

Yeah, I'm not a fan of TV either, I usually only like to watch channels like NatGeo, Military channel, History channel (which has gone WAY downhill lately) or occasionally A&E (I quite like that Beyond Scared Straight show) and of course Comedy Central for the Colbert Report (proud member of the Colbert Nation). I'm only aware of these shows because for whatever reason which is beyond me, my fiancee likes Teen Mom and all this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.