Not open for further replies.

boswd

Jan 2, 2008
✟6,566.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
With the new Harry Potter out I was thinking about how in the past the over the top reaction to these books and movies by some Fundamentalist. Such as book buring and forbidding their children from reading or watching it.

I was wondering if this radical mentality still exists or has it died out?

Last edited:

Epiphoskei

Senior Veteran
Jul 7, 2007
✟25,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
All have magic, but I am not of the conviction that superhuman powers as a literary device must refer to satanic witchcraft. Having seen Harry Potter movies, and having read Narnia and LotR, it is not unreasonable to me to say that Harry Potter may have crossed that line, or at least is toying with it, while the others have not.

Reactions: sunlover1
Upvote 0

Ramon96

Eastern Orthodox Christian
Nov 4, 2006
NY, NY
Visit site
✟8,086.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Interesting. How does Harry toe the line but Narnia does not?

The Harry Potter series most certainty has more magic (witchcraft) than the Narnia series, and certain aspects of the Potter series may be seen as satanic, but my views on both series are not fundamentalist! ;) For a fundamentalist to reject the Harry Potter series, but accept the Narnia series is beyond my understanding though.

I believe you will still find many Fundamentalist Protestant Christians who reject the Harry Potter series, or better yet, reject the fantasy (whether in books of movies) genre period!

In IC.XC,
Ramon

Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
The Harry Potter series most certainty has more magic (witchcraft) than the Narnia series, but my views on both series are not fundamentalist! ;) For a fundamentalist to reject the Harry Potter series, but accept the Narnia series is beyond my understanding though.

I believe you will still find many Fundamentalist Protestant Christians who reject the Harry Potter series, or better yet, reject the fantasy (whether in books of movies) genre period!

In IC.XC,
Ramon

100 years of magical winter, talking animals and legions of mythological beasts, plus interdimensional travel by magical means is less than a couple of owls carrying letters around and a cloak that makes the wearer invisible?

Fish have no word for water either.

Upvote 0

Ramon96

Eastern Orthodox Christian
Nov 4, 2006
NY, NY
Visit site
✟8,086.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
100 years of magical winter, talking animals and legions of mythological beasts, plus interdimensional travel by magical means is less than a couple of owls carrying letters around and a cloak that makes the wearer invisible?

Fish have no word for water either.

What's your point? :confused:

In IC.XC,
Ramon

Upvote 0

NorrinRadd

Xian, Biblicist, Fideist, Pneumatic, Antinomian
Sep 2, 2007
Wayne Township, PA, USA
✟8,652.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
With the new Harry Potter out I was thinking about how in the past the over the top reaction to these books and movies by some Fundamentalist. Such as book buring and forbidding their children from reading or watching it.

See for yourself.

Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
What's your point? :confused:

In IC.XC,
Ramon

Most of us grew up with CS Lewis, so we have a hard time thinking there is anything wrong with it.
Harry Potter is new and different, so its easier to see something wrong with it. Thus people will say "oh, Narnia has less magic than Potter" even when thats not really the case.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Epiphoskei

Senior Veteran
Jul 7, 2007
✟25,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It isn't more or less magic, it's what the magic means.

There is no such thing as fiction utterly divorced from reality. Everything in a fantasy book has some basis in truth. Now in Narnia, "magic" is a power posessed by essentially supernatural beings which humans aren't to mess around with. Occasionally the good supernatural beings grant it in small portions to men in order to do good, but the magic of evil beings is to be totally rejected. Now, with apologies to Lewis, who hated his works being called an "allegory," it's fairly clear that such things are after the fashion of the Christian view of the supernatural. Great powers belong to God, lesser but still great powers belong to satan. God can cause men to work miracles on occasion for his purposes, but we are to abhore satan's power.

You cannot make the same kind of comparisons with Harry Potter. These books do, however, present something much more akin to the Wiccan view. Hence, if he hasn't crossed the line into outright witchcraft, he's still playing with the line.

Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
It isn't more or less magic, it's what the magic means.

There is no such thing as fiction utterly divorced from reality. Everything in a fantasy book has some basis in truth. Now in Narnia, "magic" is a power posessed by essentially supernatural beings which humans aren't to mess around with. Occasionally the good supernatural beings grant it in small portions to men in order to do good, but the magic of evil beings is to be totally rejected. Now, with apologies to Lewis, who hated his works being called an "allegory," it's fairly clear that such things are after the fashion of the Christian view of the supernatural. Great powers belong to God, lesser but still great powers belong to satan. God can cause men to work miracles on occasion for his purposes, but we are to abhore satan's power.

You cannot make the same kind of comparisons with Harry Potter. These books do, however, present something much more akin to the Wiccan view. Hence, if he hasn't crossed the line into outright witchcraft, he's still playing with the line.

Think you might need to have a re-read of the old Narnia books... the "good" charectors are pretty frequent users of magic too... think Santa Clause's gifts to the Pevensies and their subsequent use. Pretty sure I could come up with other examples.

But I digress... I still don't see how one can condemn Potter while celebrating Narnia, or Middle Earth. Not without tying one's self into arcane semantic knots to do so anyway.

Upvote 0

Epiphoskei

Senior Veteran
Jul 7, 2007
✟25,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm throwing in Father Christmas with the supernatural beings, and the gifts were actually what I was considering when I wrote "Occasionally the good supernatural beings grant [magic] in small portions to men in order to do good," which I don't see as having an unchristian message, since "God can cause men to work miracles on occasion for his purposes."

Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Oh, it still exists, believe me.

The main reason why many have problems or issues with Harry Potter over some other fantasy series, such as the Chronicles of Narnia, is because Harry Potter takes place in modern time with modern technology and on earth as opposed to some far away non-existent place with 11th century technology.

Do I agree with witchcraft or believe in magic? Certainly not. Do I think Harry Potter is a great series of well-written books? Certainly.

Harry Potter, like "The DaVinci Code", falls into the category of "if it will lead you to question your faith, don't read it".

Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Oh, it still exists, believe me.

The main reason why many have problems or issues with Harry Potter over some other fantasy series, such as the Chronicles of Narnia, is because Harry Potter takes place in modern time with modern technology and on earth as opposed to some far away non-existent place with 11th century technology.

Do I agree with witchcraft or believe in magic? Certainly not. Do I think Harry Potter is a great series of well-written books? Certainly.

Harry Potter, like "The DaVinci Code", falls into the category of "if it will lead you to question your faith, don't read it".
Rather a key point. If seeing a Harry Potter movie or reading a Dan Brown novel is likely to seriously challenge your faith, I find it hard to believe your faith was ever that strong or important to you in the first place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is nothing Satanic or "witchcrafty" in the Harry Potter universe.

There may be witches and magic, but they don't do anything other than hocus pocus stuff; there is nothing like what the Bible condemns...except by Voldemort and Co.

Heck; the whole art of divination in the books is carried off negatively.

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Interesting. How does Harry toe the line but Narnia does not?

C S Lewis was a Christian apologist. His books, even his works of fiction were couched in Christian ideals, and thus the purpose or 'force' behind his work was different from Harry Potter, or (as I'm lead to believe) The Golden Compass.

Upvote 0

Montalban

Jan 20, 2004
Sydney, NSW
✟42,787.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Rather a key point. If seeing a Harry Potter movie or reading a Dan Brown novel is likely to seriously challenge your faith, I find it hard to believe your faith was ever that strong or important to you in the first place.

Watching an execution, live would make me sick. My reaction to it would be couched in how I feel about life. It would not mean that I am weak, because I feel 'challenged'.

Being disturbed by a film that 'challenges' (as you put it) my religious beliefs would not mean that I am weak of faith, but rather strong in faith, because without a strong faith I wouldn't have been affected by it. 'Scuse the truism, but if it didn't matter to my faith, it wouldn't matter.

Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
C S Lewis was a Christian apologist. His books, even his works of fiction were couched in Christian ideals, and thus the purpose or 'force' behind his work was different from Harry Potter, or (as I'm lead to believe) The Golden Compass.
What ideals are exemplified in Lewis's fiction that aren't exemplified in Harry Potter?

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
One thing I find interesting with all this is people praise Narnia - in which normal kids are put into magical situations while condemning Potter - in which children born different (ie:born with magic) are put into magical situations. Rowling was quite clear in the first books that if you are not born with magic you will not be able to do magic. As far as I know my kids were not born magic, hence reading about the adventures and exploits of Mr. Potter and his friends may provide entertainment, but not lead them into anything dark and evil.

I think alot of the uproar is from parents who never liked to read and are a bit jealous of the time their reading children spend with the book. Either that or they are mad because it wasn't written for their generation (which hasn't stopped me from reading the books before I let my kids at them).

Reactions: Nilloc
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.