Northwest Kentucky, USA
✟15,789.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Oh, I love Harry Potter. I really don't see any problems with reading it, as it has never influenced me in a bad way at all. xD Hmm...what else can I say?

Upvote 0

AmandaBear

Proud Liberal Christian Universalist
Jul 24, 2008
Northwest Kentucky, USA
✟15,789.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I feel the same way, SiderealExalt. Goblet of Fire is my favorite, too. It has the perfect balance of seriousness, action, comic relief, and Hogwarts antics! lol

Yeah, Deathly Hallows wasn't my favorite either. I mean, it ended pretty good but the other books in the series capture the true spirit of the series.

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I wish the pacing of the last book had been better. But overall I enjoyed it. Not quite as much as I did Half Blood Prince. But still good. My favorite was Goblet of Fire.

Thank goodness, I'm not the only one!

I think the problem was that it wasn't set in Hogwarts. I like Hogwarts.

My favorite is The Prisoner of Azkaban. When I first read it I sped through the last chapters so fast I didn't understand a word of it, and then I had to go reread it. PoA was where I realised I liked HP; the first two books were amusing, but not much more.
Although I really liked GoF and HPB as well.

Strangely, I liked the Order of the Phoenix-movie better than the book...

Upvote 0

Taure

May 20, 2005
London
✟949.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
POA was a masterpiece. Clearly the best of the entire septology, with the most vivid atmosphere, cleverest plot, tightest storyline and a variety of frightening foes.

POA
GOF
OOTP
COS
PS
HBP
DH

That's the order of my preference. CoS would be 2nd in terms of first-time reads, but it has less re-read value. The whole Polyjuice sequence is boring once you know that it's not Malfoy.

Deathly Hallows was a big disappointment for me. It was very predictable (Harry was a horcrux, Snape loved Lily); the end was a massive anti-climax (he won with an expelliarmus, due to an obscure wand ownership rule of magic); Hermione was an unrealistic fix-all, transforming from a clever witch who was smart but lacked any real flair for magic into a Deus Ex Machina; the Dumbledore subplot was more interesting than the main story; and Harry still failed to live up to the title of "hero". Dumbledore won the war, Harry just followed the path he had laid out (with unnatural prescience) blindly.

Voldemort was also a disappointing villain. We were constantly told throughout the books about how brilliant and clever he was, but then he leaves his horcruxes laying all over the place with no real protection. If all of them had been protected like the one in the Cave (in HBP), Harry would have completely failed in getting them, because he sucked at magic.

In other news: why do I get the feeling that this topic is existing now solely so that the HP lovers can wait to spring upon any lost hater who accidently wanders into the thread?

Upvote 0

SiderealExalt

Feb 25, 2007
✟3,309.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
In other news: why do I get the feeling that this topic is existing now solely so that the HP lovers can wait to spring upon any lost hater who accidently wanders into the thread?

Avada K....*turns away from a "hater"*....what gave you that idea?

Upvote 0

AmandaBear

Proud Liberal Christian Universalist
Jul 24, 2008
Northwest Kentucky, USA
✟15,789.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
POA was a masterpiece. Clearly the best of the entire septology, with the most vivid atmosphere, cleverest plot, tightest storyline and a variety of frightening foes.

POA
GOF
OOTP
COS
PS
HBP
DH

That's the order of my preference. CoS would be 2nd in terms of first-time reads, but it has less re-read value. The whole Polyjuice sequence is boring once you know that it's not Malfoy.

Deathly Hallows was a big disappointment for me. It was very predictable (Harry was a horcrux, Snape loved Lily); the end was a massive anti-climax (he won with an expelliarmus, due to an obscure wand ownership rule of magic); Hermione was an unrealistic fix-all, transforming from a clever witch who was smart but lacked any real flair for magic into a Deus Ex Machina; the Dumbledore subplot was more interesting than the main story; and Harry still failed to live up to the title of "hero". Dumbledore won the war, Harry just followed the path he had laid out (with unnatural prescience) blindly.

Voldemort was also a disappointing villain. We were constantly told throughout the books about how brilliant and clever he was, but then he leaves his horcruxes laying all over the place with no real protection. If all of them had been protected like the one in the Cave (in HBP), Harry would have completely failed in getting them, because he sucked at magic.

LOL I think I agree with just about everything you said about DH. xD
Bellatrix Lestrange and Umbridge were a lot more terrifying than Voldemort.

Wow, man...you gave a lot of great points there.

And yes...I guess this thread has turned into a nest for HP lovers to unite! Mwahahahahah!

Upvote 0

Zoness

667, neighbor of the beast
Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2008
Illinois
✟468,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
As far as the main point of this thread. I read the books and loved them. I understand not wanting to read things that the Lord might consider sinful but I'm really not into that totalitarian subversive censorship thing. It worked centuries ago but it won't work here on me :) If people do not WANT to read them then DON'T and let others go about their business. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Shicoco

Jul 16, 2008
Ocala, Florida
✟16,172.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is it just me or is Harry Potter evil? I honestly cannot see how Christians can support that kind of rubbish!

And what's with adults holding onto their copies like it's the holy grail when it's a CHILDREN'S book?!!!! :confused:

I mean, COMAAN!!! If I have to see one more 40 year old reading these kids book on a bus or train i'm gonna go stark raving mad!
:mad:

Now now, let's not judge people. There's nothing wrong with Harry Potter. Shoot, my pastor reads it lol.

Why do you get upset when you see adults reading this book? What's up with that?

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,462.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Now now, let's not judge people. There's nothing wrong with Harry Potter. Shoot, my pastor reads it lol.

Why do you get upset when you see adults reading this book? What's up with that?

I doubt you'll get a response from the OP.
There last login was from 25th July 2007 (About a year ago)

Mmmm Zombie Threads....

(Sorta fitting given the subject :ebil: )

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,462.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In GoF, if the real Mad Eye Moody was locked in a trunk during the entire book, why didn't he appear on the Marauder's map? Shouldn't there have been TWO dots labeled Moody?

I think that's what they call a Plot Hole :)

Upvote 0

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
In GoF, if the real Mad Eye Moody was locked in a trunk during the entire book, why didn't he appear on the Marauder's map? Shouldn't there have been TWO dots labeled Moody?

Well, it indicated Scabbers as Pettigrew - shouldn't it just have read Crouch jr. for the impostor, and Moody in the trunk? If it isn't fooled by animagi, why should it be fooled by polyjuice potion?
Just speculation :)

I think that's what they call a Plot Hole :)

Did Harry even use the Marauder's Map in GoF? I mean, I remember from the sixth book he pulls it out of the bottom of his trunk in a sudden epiphany, as if he'd forgotten it...That always seemed like a plot-hole to me; it's kind of a neat trinket, why wouldn't he use it more often?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

karisma

May 8, 2006
✟8,315.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Well, it indicated Scabbers as Pettigrew - shouldn't it just have read Crouch jr. for the impostor, and Moody in the trunk? If it isn't fooled by animagi, why should it be fooled by polyjuice potion?
Just speculation :)

The way I think of it, the polyjuice potion actually changes them into another person, whereas when they become an animagus, they don't turn into another person, just themself in animal form. Just my opinion! ;)

Did Harry even use the Marauder's Map in GoF? I mean, I remember from the sixth book he pulls it out of the bottom of his trunk in a sudden epiphany, as if he'd forgotten it...That always seemed like a plot-hole to me; it's kind of a neat trinket, why wouldn't he use it more often?

Yeah, I just finished reading the book. I'm finally reading my way through the series and I love it! These books are sooo great. I didn't think I'd like them so much as they seemed targeted to kids but even my mom is reading them now!
Anyway, yes, he did consult the map several times, and the real Moody was never apparent on the map.

Upvote 0

Jane_the_Bane

Gaia's godchild
Feb 11, 2004
✟168,333.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
UK-Greens
Was the false Moody indicated as Moody? I seem to remember that Harry spotted Barty Grouch on the map several times, falsely assuming that it was the father rather than the son.
In that case, the real Moody would still show up on his map - in his office, supposedly. Nothing suspicious about it.

Upvote 0

PhantomTorment

Seeking Wisdom
May 3, 2004
Oregon
Visit site
✟41,022.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is it just me or is Harry Potter evil? I honestly cannot see how Christians can support that kind of rubbish!

And what's with adults holding onto their copies like it's the holy grail when it's a CHILDREN'S book?!!!! :confused:

I mean, COMAAN!!! If I have to see one more 40 year old reading these kids book on a bus or train i'm gonna go stark raving mad!
:mad:

Well you do see adults reading the Narnia series as well...and I'd say that's more of a childrens series as well. Besides, I appreciate an adult who can still appreciate his childrens side...nothing wrong with that.

I've only read the first book, but I plan to read the rest in the series in the next few months. I've seen all the movies up to this point since my girlfriend had me watch them. I don't really have a problem with the Harry Potters series anymore (I used to). I think if you're a grounded Christian who can appreciate it for what it is (A fictional story), then I see no problem with it. Christians don't seem to say boo with the magic that is used in Narnia and Lord of the Rings ;). Granted...they're called witches and such in Harry Potter...but it's all the same, it's wizardry.

Upvote 0

Blackrend

Jul 10, 2008
✟8,148.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I really hate it when people take this stuff so seriously... It's a children's book for crying out loud, not the kiddie's version of Mein Kampf.

So what if there's magic in Harry Potter? What's wrong with imagining things outside the realm of possibility and having a little fun in the process?

Upvote 0