May 13, 2005
USA
✟2,109.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
EvoDan said:
As opposed to making up a some mythical supernatural being to quiet your fears?

This is exactly what fundamentalists do!

At least science is using logic and rationality to explain the things that might scare the ignorant.

Your response required no marvel of deduction. You could have gone to my public profile to conclude that.... :)

-----------------------------------------------

Upvote 0

Caphi

Jul 23, 2005
✟16,259.00
Faith
Hindu
Edmond said:
And somehow you think that an example of this kind of majesty and beauty plus all that we know about the complexity of life there on earth is what some type of cosmic explosion gave to us?

The argument from wonder is not a very powerful one.

You must be terribly afraid of something to work as hard as you do to create the allusion of such an alternative. Is it the fear of religious take-over, fear of accountablity to a greater authority or an inherent propensity to challenge or question such possible authority.

Oh yes, because religion has been SO effective at leading masses in the past. Let's just forget that whole Crusades and Inquisition, right?

The reason for such rejection has to be much deeper than the intellect. The intellect can easily agree with the rationale that the effects of the majesty of the universe supports at least the possibility of a much greater first cause. Your objections must indeed be based in some presupposed philosophical objection.

----------------------------------------------

Since when is "there's no evidence" a deep philosophical objection?

Upvote 0

FSTDT

Yahweh
Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
✟1,390.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Edmond said:
And somehow you think that an example of this kind of majesty and beauty plus all that we know about the complexity of life there on earth is what some type of cosmic explosion gave to us?
Argument From Wow:
1. Look at all the stars, man, they're so beautiful, so wonderful.
2. Wow.
3. Therefore God exists.

Better put a patent on that argument before someone steals it. After all, its so powerful, so compelling, so airtight and reasonable that its bound to sweep the globe and convert the heathens - and you want credit for something so profound, right?

Upvote 0

Illuminatus

Draft the chickenhawks
Nov 28, 2004
✟14,062.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
FSTDT said:
Argument From Wow:
2. Wow.
3. Therefore God exists.

Interestingly enough, Edmond's argument would also work if he was on LSD and staring at his stucco ceiling.

Upvote 0

Ampoliros

I'm my own wireless hotspot
May 15, 2004
Mars - IN MY MIND!
✟9,685.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
FSTDT said:
Argument From Wow:
2. Wow.
3. Therefore God exists.

Better put a patent on that argument before someone steals it. After all, its so powerful, so compelling, so airtight and reasonable that its bound to sweep the globe and convert the heathens - and you want credit for something so profound, right?

Argument Preempted! :cool:

ARGUMENT FROM BEAUTY, aka TELEOLOGICAL ARGUMENT (II)
(1) Isn't that baby/sunset/flower/tree beautiful?
(2) Only God could have made them so beautiful.
(3) Therefore, God exists.

ARGUMENT FROM WOW
(1) "When I look into the sky and see all the pretty stars, all those galaxies..."
(2) Wow.

http://www.godlessgeeks.com/LINKS/GodProof.htm

I think he just lost the patent on that one. ;)

Upvote 0

FSTDT

Yahweh
Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
✟1,390.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Ampoliros said:
Argument Preempted! :cool:

ARGUMENT FROM BEAUTY, aka TELEOLOGICAL ARGUMENT (II)
(1) Isn't that baby/sunset/flower/tree beautiful?
(2) Only God could have made them so beautiful.

ARGUMENT FROM WOW
(1) "When I look into the sky and see all the pretty stars, all those galaxies..."
(2) Wow.

http://www.godlessgeeks.com/LINKS/GodProof.htm

I think he just lost the patent on that one. ;)
I used to think all of those "Proofs" were made up, and that no one had really used them seriously. After posting on internet forums for several years, and operating the FSTDT website for a 1/2 year, I can say that at least 95% of them are based on real events.

Upvote 0

vipertaja

A real nobrainer
May 13, 2005
Finland
✟16,925.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
TheBear said:
Keep in mind. Whatever it is in the universe, if sciecne can't fully explain it, God did it. And an added bonus with this approach, science courses should become extremely short and inexpensive. :thumbsup:

That explains why I had some weird bug in playing x-men legends 2 yesterday.
I can't explain it so I'll just blame god like they do.;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dal M.

...more things in heaven and earth, Horatio...
Jan 28, 2004
Ohio
✟9,758.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Edmond said:

You see two galaxies colliding as a thing of beauty?

Weird, but fine. "Beauty" is subjective. But we were talking about order, which creationists toss around as though it's objective and measurable.

It doesn't matter how majestic you find a fifty thousand light year wide car accident to be - the fact that galaxies collide with one another pretty much puts to rest the claim that the Universe operates like a well-oiled machine and therefore must have been intelligently designed.

Upvote 0

TeddyKGB

A dude playin' a dude disgused as another dude
Jul 18, 2005
Deep underground
✟8,993.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
FSTDT said:
I used to think all of those "Proofs" were made up, and that no one had really used them seriously. After posting on internet forums for several years, and operating the FSTDT website for a 1/2 year, I can say that at least 95% of them are based on real events.
They originated on a thread at IIDB that took on a life of its own. Some are obviously absurd caricatures but a significant number are either real or inspired by real arguments (especially the ones named after someone). I contributed maybe a half-dozen myself.

Upvote 0

Dragar

Like the root of -1
Jan 27, 2004
✟14,331.00
Faith
Atheist
How did the flawless order in the whole universe come into being?

I don't know. Inserting a god in the gaps is not a valid answer. Besides which, the universe behaves chaotically even from a classical viewpoint.

Who provided the delicate balances in the world?

Not who. Delicate balances are equilibriums, and things change until they reach equilibrium.

How does each one of the billions of cells in the human body know and perform its individual tasks?

It doesn't 'know', and it performs them via chemistry.

How did living beings, incredibly diversified in nature, emerge?

From previous living beings, diversified via evolution through natural selection.

The first living beings I do not know.

Upvote 0

Alchemist

Seeking in Orthodoxy
Jun 13, 2004
✟8,744.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
jeki said:

How does each one of the billions of cells in the human body know and perform its individual tasks?

these are just the beginning questions... I would like the evolutionists friends to answer them please. I am afraid if they are going to talk about coincidences? or will they try to find some logical answers...

God. Next... ;)

Peace,
Nick

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

What is "flawless" about it?
What does "flawless" mean, if you have only 1 example?

Loaded question. How have you determined that "who" is the appropriate word. Why not "what"?

Biochemistry.

How does water know how to freeze?

Science has some neat ideas on how they emerged and is in the process of researching those ideas.

As for how they diversified, you'll find that there's an entire branch of science that explains that. It's called evolutionary biology.

I am afraid if they are going to talk about coincidences? or will they try to find some logical answers...

What is illogical about coincidences?
Don't you agree that coincidences happen all the time?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This thread is 10 years old. The OP probably isn't still hanging around.
In six months I'll hit ten years, and many of my posts will be 10 years old.

I would welcome anyone replying to them today.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,532.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You know, this tread is almost 10 years old, and the poster you directed your bold-text remarks to hasn't been here since 2006.
How do you know?

Nathan Poe last posted here almost four years ago, yet he's active here now.

Can you explain that?

Upvote 0