Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lent for many is taken as a time to give up one thing that they really enjoy..some give up chocolate,some meat,some alcohol..personal preference.
I'm not sure if the EO has a set of rules to follow concerning such matters.

Upvote 0

ClementofRome

Spelunking the most ancient caves of Xianity
May 27, 2004
✟5,769.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Lent for many is taken as a time to give up one thing that they really enjoy..some give up chocolate,some meat,some alcohol..personal preference.

Uh,...I will keep my big mouth shut....but yes, the EO fast is more strict than "personal preference" However, it is always in consultation with one's spiritual father.

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Yes, we do. We should give up both meat and dairy products. We work with our priest on our personal fasting rule. For health reasons, some people can't give up both or maybe neither. We are encouraged to give up TV and internet if possible, so that we can spend more time in prayer, scripture reading and other spiritual reading, as well as giving alms and helping others.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
According to many priests via podcasts and my own, we do not give up something for Lent. We fast for purpose of growing closer to God. It's to focus on Him and when the belly is full, many distractions take place, along with sins. Anyway, there's more to it, but can't remember it all.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
According to many priests via podcasts and my own, we do not give up something for Lent. We fast for purpose of growing closer to God. It's to focus on Him and when the belly is full, many distractions take place, along with sins. Anyway, there's more to it, but can't remember it all.

yeah, Lent is not a check the box kinda thing, where you see if you can go 40 days without eating a burger.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
No kidding. I am still trying to figure out how for Antiochians, no wine means no alcohol but no oil means just no olive oil. To date me priest has not been able to give me an answer that makes any sense. I follow it though, even if it doesn't make sense to me.
Many of the yiayias at my parish say, "fasting from oil is for monastics. ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟117,925.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
A cup of wine is permitted on Holy Saturday as described in the Typikon - they give out a bit of bread, dried figs or dates, and a cup of wine after the liturgy to fortify them until the Paschal liturgy. But this is not more than a little bit to keep you going, it would be greatly against the whole spirit of the thing to actually be drinking at this point.

Upvote 0