Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A county supervisor has created a stir with his proposal to bar the inclusion of toys in restaurant meals that contain high amounts of sugar, salt or certain fats.

The latest target in the battle over fast food is something you shouldn't even put in your mouth.

Convinced that Happy Meals and other food promotions aimed at children could make kids fat as well as happy, county officials in Silicon Valley are poised to outlaw the little toys that often come with high-calorie offerings.

Happy Meal toys could be banned in Santa Clara County - latimes.com

Exiledoomsayer

Only toke me 1 year to work out how to change this
Jan 7, 2010
✟17,737.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Its funny how we have those same happymeal toys over here and our kids aint fattend up yet. Write this down now, its called parenting.

Sheesh..

Edit:
I just wanted to point out i was aiming that at the people responsible for the idea. Not the OP.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Its funny how we have those same happymeal toys over here and our kids aint fattend up yet. Write this down now, its called parenting.

Sheesh..

Edit:
I just wanted to point out i was aiming that at the people responsible for the idea. Not the OP.

You took the words right from my mouth.

Upvote 0

JamesAH

Aug 21, 2008
✟2,966.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Sheesh..

Edit:

We live in a world where we blame other people or things because we're too stupid to take responsibility for ourselves and we're a bunch of lazy bastards who don't know better.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
We live in a world where we blame other people or things because we're too stupid to take responsibility for ourselves and we're a bunch of lazy bastards who don't know better.

Welcome to the world created by Welfare and Affirmative Action!

Upvote 0
Apr 20, 2010
Williamstown, WV
✟15,179.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I never knew kids went to McDonalds by themselves & ordered & paid for their own food just for a toy.

I laughed so hard at this. This is so true. It's called parenting. Except in this case, the government thinks they are the parent. Welcome to the new US of A.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I laughed so hard at this. This is so true. It's called parenting. Except in this case, the government thinks they are the parent. Welcome to the new US of A.
Dontcha know...everyone is great at parenting everyone else's kids!! ^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lux et lex

light and law
Jan 8, 2009
✟12,029.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Welcome to the world created by Welfare and Affirmative Action!

There is so much wrong with this statement....I find it really sad that is the view people have of folks on welfare. 10% wreck it for the other 90%. Keep that in mind.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
There is so much wrong with this statement....I find it really sad that is the view people have of folks on welfare. 10% wreck it for the other 90%. Keep that in mind.

The welfare system tells people that they needn't get out there and work. I have friends who have been on it for years because they actually make MORE money using the system than they would if they went out and got a job. Affirmative Action tells people that they needn't be fully qualified for a job, they just need to be the right color or gender.

Neither of these programs has anything to do with personal responsibility. Neither of them help people learn how to take responsibility for their lives.

Are there people rightfully receiving assistance? I'm sure there is. But when a system at large contributes to the general laziness of people everywhere, it's probably not a good idea to keep it in place for the minority of people that it benefits.

People presently really don't understand personal responsibility, because the government is busy trying to be (ir)responsible for us.

Upvote 0

JamesAH

Aug 21, 2008
✟2,966.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Obviously you don't know much about modern welfare. When welfare was first started it was designed to supplement income to those who either had no job or their current job isn't paying enough for essentials. People were using it wisely but over the years people have been abusing the system. Welfare was also designed to be short term but again people abuse it and stay on it thinking that as long as the tax payers are paying their bills and lifestyles that they don't need to go out and work.

It's those lazy people who turned welfare, a once honorable system, into a system for freeloaders.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Obviously you don't know much about modern welfare. When welfare was first started it was designed to supplement income to those who either had no job or their current job isn't paying enough for essentials. People were using it wisely but over the years people have been abusing the system. Welfare was also designed to be short term but again people abuse it and stay on it thinking that as long as the tax payers are paying their bills and lifestyles that they don't need to go out and work.

It's those lazy people who turned welfare, a once honorable system, into a system for freeloaders.

QFT a thousand...no...a million times over. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

moonkitty

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2006
✟16,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't think Happy Meal toys should be banned, but if there was a fast food restaurant that did not put toys in their children's meal, they would have gotten all my business. We rarely eat out, and my children are healthy--but every now and then it is nice just to stop and grab something when we are in a hurry without paying sit down restaurant prices. But I have always dislike those toys. When my kids were younger (thankfully they are growing out of the Happy Meal Toy stage--they are now too cool to be seen getting a Happy Meal) they would drive me nuts over which toy they got. And God forbid if one got a different toy. UUUUGGGHHH!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lux et lex

light and law
Jan 8, 2009
✟12,029.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
My point is that I will concede that some people work the system, but I've dealt with clients that are on assistance and most certainly do not. A lot of people on assistance are disabled and work what they can, but they can never qualify for a job that will allow for them to come off of assistance with their limited skill set. I also think of one of my law colleagues who is on EBT in order to support her son. She told me there was no way on earth she would be on it just for herself, but she doesn't receive child support and her kid needs to eat. I'm sure she'll be off it soon as she has a good job lined up. For a lot of people, assistance is a temporary thing...a way to get a leg up after something has gone wrong in there life. I'm sorry you dismiss it as being lazy, because in most cases, that is not the cause.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
My point is that I will concede that some people work the system, but I've dealt with clients that are on assistance and most certainly do not. A lot of people on assistance are disabled and work what they can, but they can never qualify for a job that will allow for them to come off of assistance with their limited skill set. I also think of one of my law colleagues who is on EBT in order to support her son. She told me there was no way on earth she would be on it just for herself, but she doesn't receive child support and her kid needs to eat. I'm sure she'll be off it soon as she has a good job lined up. For a lot of people, assistance is a temporary thing...a way to get a leg up after something has gone wrong in there life. I'm sorry you dismiss it as being lazy, because in most cases, that is not the cause.

In most cases, it IS the cause.

I've already stipulated that there are people on it who need it. But for the most part, welfare has contributed to the idea that people really need not work for their money. There were families who lived around us in Detroit who continued to churn out kid after kid simply because they would get more in welfare dollars.

I could almost guarantee you that for every story you have of someone really needing it, I can find you at least ten people who don't and who abuse the system.

It's broken, and it's a big contributing factor to why we are contemplating passing stupid laws like banning Happy Meal toys...because people are being taught that they do not need to take responsibility for their own actions.

Upvote 0

WadeWilson

Say hello to my widdle friend.
Feb 9, 2010
Sunshine State... Arghhhh! It burns us!
✟8,367.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This whole "Yes it is", "No it's not", is lovely aside from the lack of data. "Almost gaurantee"s and personal examples don't count as a large enough sample bases.

Back to the OP, I think it's a rather dumb ban. If the government is going to tell us how to raise our kids, why not ban the actual harmful part of the happy meal? (I don't support banning happy meal food either.) Let parents be parents, sheesh.

Upvote 0