PatrickT

Jun 7, 2015
Rostock
✟2,413.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hamburg voted against hosting the olympic sumemr games in 2024. With that germany will pull back its application. Its not the first games that were blocked by the people. The winter games in Kitzbühl were also blocked from citizens.

People here crtisize the olympic games to be mega events that cost alot of money, don´t bring in enough money and bring hardships on the local people.

http://www.stern.de/sport/olympia/o...vor-dem-sieg---kiel-sagt-klar-ja-6580546.html

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
But Patrick, what an opportunity to demonstrate Germany's greatness, and it's hegemony over Europe. Just get the Greeks to pay.

It wouldn't be the first time that Germany has used the Olympics for such a purpose. I Godwin all your threads!

Reactions: PatrickT
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,444.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
That would be unneccessary. Modern day germany does not depend on the kind of good will that a huge propaganda event like this could generate.

Also, things don't work like that. Look at Russia, their Olympics didn't change anything about the way the world perceived them, did they?

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Unless they are in Los Angeles, in which case they make money!

I think LA made money because they already had the majority of the facilities to put the games on and that saved them a lot of up front investment.

I know, when Chicago tried to get the 2016 games, they were going to spend about 500 million to build a temporary outdoor stadium, that was going to be taken down right after the olympics and they were going to build a lot of other facilities to host the games as well.

Upvote 0

PatrickT

Jun 7, 2015
Rostock
✟2,413.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
But Patrick, what an opportunity to demonstrate Germany's greatness, and it's hegemony over Europe. Just get the Greeks to pay.

It wouldn't be the first time that Germany has used the Olympics for such a purpose. I Godwin all your threads!

Someone with real power doesn´t need to show it. The olympic games would be a burden.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The fact that the Olympics is an event that will encourage a country to spend countless dollars to host them at least shows that the US isn't the only nation on the planet with an unhealthy obsession for sports ;)

My stance on the Olympic games is the same as my stance on other sports, which is... "Great, you can catch/kick/hit a ball and run fast...good for you, can we focus on something that matters now?"

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,744.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I think LA made money because they already had the majority of the facilities to put the games on and that saved them a lot of up front investment.

I know, when Chicago tried to get the 2016 games, they were going to spend about 500 million to build a temporary outdoor stadium, that was going to be taken down right after the olympics and they were going to build a lot of other facilities to host the games as well.

Yup, but the first time when they built the Coliseum we still made money. L.A. stays sane about sport and sooner or later everyone else cracks. We don't 'need' the Olympics but they will return after a few more cities go broke.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yup, but the first time when they built the Coliseum we still made money. L.A. stays sane about sport and sooner or later everyone else cracks. We don't 'need' the Olympics but they will return after a few more cities go broke.

Let's just say, construction costs, have escalated a tad.

The Coliseum was built for the 32 Olympics, for less than 1 million (15 million in today's dollars). Today, they spend a billion dollars to build such stadiums and sometimes more.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟821,361.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hamburg voted against hosting the olympic sumemr games in 2024. With that germany will pull back its application. Its not the first games that were blocked by the people. The winter games in Kitzbühl were also blocked from citizens.

People here crtisize the olympic games to be mega events that cost alot of money, don´t bring in enough money and bring hardships on the local people.

http://www.stern.de/sport/olympia/o...vor-dem-sieg---kiel-sagt-klar-ja-6580546.html

Personally I was disappointed with this decision which was a decision for fear over hope in my view. People focused on the potential costs and terrorist threats rather than the opportunities here.

I think it is really bad for German sport. German performances have been waning and the British have even beaten them in recent Olympics. The new facilities and inspiration this could have provided would have been great.

The real reason for the reluctance is however financial I think. Germany is a big economic power but its top 3 cities together do not have the economic weight of Paris or of London for instance. Also the Hamburg authorities wasted a lot of money on a big Opera house recently and have major autobahn projects going on right now so I think people there are quite cost sensitive.

Upvote 0

PatrickT

Jun 7, 2015
Rostock
✟2,413.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Personally I was disappointed with this decision which was a decision for fear over hope in my view. People focused on the potential costs and terrorist threats rather than the opportunities here.

I think it is really bad for German sport. German performances have been waning and the British have even beaten them in recent Olympics. The new facilities and inspiration this could have provided would have been great.

The real reason for the reluctance is however financial I think. Germany is a big economic power but its top 3 cities together do not have the economic weight of Paris or of London for instance. Also the Hamburg authorities wasted a lot of money on a big Opera house recently and have major autobahn projects going on right now so I think people there are quite cost sensitive.

Terrorism had nothing to do with it. Why wasting billions of € for corrupted sport organisations like the IOC and their pathetic sponsor corporations? Billions wasted for a few days event?

I´m an athlete myself and highly critical too such mega events. The money should be spend on research projects and infrastructure.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟821,361.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Terrorism had nothing to do with it. Why wasting billions of € for corrupted sport organisations like the IOC and their pathetic sponsor corporations? Billions wasted for a few days event?

I´m an athlete myself and highly critical too such mega events. The money should be spend on research projects and infrastructure.

Hamburg does not have billions to spend but for bigger cities like London or Paris the new or improved infrastructure is not wasted. The World Cup in Germany in 2006 was a great success cause they spread the games over the whole of Germany and used existing or improved infrastructure. But hosting a Olympics by a single city is not affordable to a city like Hamburg , Frankfurt, Munich or Berlin Even though they are the economic giants of Germany. In London or Paris the City economy is 3-5 times larger than the largest of these. Indeed there are only about 12-20 cities in the world that could take these costs in their stride and only 2 in Europe.

But the Olympics are an inspiration. It is one thing to provide local infrastructure for Families to play in and another to build the necessary infrastructure to win medals. The millions invested in the British cycling team are a good example.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PatrickT

Jun 7, 2015
Rostock
✟2,413.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hamburg does not have billions to spend but for bigger cities like London or Paris the new or improved infrastructure is not wasted. The World Cup in Germany in 2006 was a great success cause they spread the games over the whole of Germany and used existing or improved infrastructure. But hosting a Olympics by a single city is not affordable to a city like Hamburg , Frankfurt, Munich or Berlin Even though they are the economic giants of Germany. In London or Paris the City economy is 3-5 times larger than the largest of these. Indeed there are only about 12-20 cities in the world that could take these costs in their stride and only 2 in Europe.

But the Olympics are an inspiration. It is one thing to provide local infrastructure for Families to play in and another to build the necessary infrastructure to win medals. The millions invested in the British cycling team are a good example.

I´m totally fine when Paris or London want throw money out of the windows for nothing.

And the olympics are maybe an inspiration for old people like you. They lost evry glamour long ago. The last winter games...i didn´t even watch anything of this putin propaganda show.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Unless they are in Los Angeles, in which case they make money!
Lake Placid also seems to have profited long term from the games. But it was already a sort of winter destination, and the games just reinforced it. But then again, the money spent on it back then is a pittance to what is spent on it now-a-days.

Upvote 0

Soma Seer

Sep 19, 2015
✟8,555.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

I agree with those points. And being in the greater Chicago metropolitan area, I am glad that Chicago didn't win the bid for the 2016 Games. (I assume that everyone in Illinois--not just those who live within the city limits--would've paid for that fiasco for eons to come.)

I prefer the idea that two permanent Olympics structures--one for the Winter Games, one for the Summer Games--be built and be done with it.

Reactions: PatrickT
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree with those points. And being in the greater Chicago metropolitan area, I am glad that Chicago didn't win the bid for the 2016 Games. (I assume that everyone in Illinois--not just those who live within the city limits--would've paid for that fiasco for eons to come.)

I prefer the idea that two permanent Olympics structures--one for the Winter Games, one for the Summer Games--be built and be done with it.

I agree and I live in the general area as well.

I have a feeling though, the site they picked for the 2016 games, is going to be a disaster.

Upvote 0