Haggia Sophia returned to Islam in Turkey??

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello Gurney,

Thanks for posting the article. I think many Turks would indeed be surprised if they knew the actual history of their country. They would realize that they adopted the pseudo-religion and culture of their conquerers. They would realize that all their mosques were built by christian architects some forced to convert. All the talk about islam's great mathematicians, yet they were never smart enough to build any ornate monuments and had to retain roman architecture and mosaic art including the christian Orthodox artisans and engineers.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,370.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The most high does not dwell in houses made with hands.
This is true. But physical things can be made sacred, that have meaning both here and now (thus, there is the legitimate concept of desecration) as well as in eternity.
St Nicholas's bones are sacred, and even if they are ground to powder and blown to the four winds, so that only God can raise them up in eternity, woe to him who deliberately desecrates them!
A consecrated church IS a building, it's not a magic house, but's it's not only a mere building. It was set aside for sacred worship of the Most High, and woe to them that desecrate that and continue to do so!

To deny the special meaning of sacred objects is to deny the Incarnation, to make nonsense of Christ's robes, of Peter's shadow, to say "they are only things". To us, they aren't.

Upvote 0

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
A consecrated church IS a building, it's not a magic house, but's it's not only a mere building. It was set aside for sacred worship of the Most High, and woe to them that desecrate that and continue to do so!

Hagia Sophia has been lost for a long time.

The good of it will be restored someday, but probably not in this age. And hopefully not in accordance with the many folk stories about vengeful reconquests.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I could be mistaken, but I think I read somewhere that once something is a mosque, it can only ever be a mosque according to Islamic law/custom or something. that is why Hagia Sophia became a museum, because it would not be a place of worship.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,370.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, if the Byzantines had bothered mounting a defence in 1453, it wouldn't be an issue now, would it?
Hey, Armoured, I'm sure you don't intend it, but your words would be AWFULLY offensive to the people who DID mount a desperate defense in those last days of that crumbling empire.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,370.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hagia Sophia has been lost for a long time.

The good of it will be restored someday, but probably not in this age. And hopefully not in accordance with the many folk stories about vengeful reconquests.
I agree that mere vengeance is bad, though I CAN conceive of a just war. Note I said "conceive".

But time does nothing to diminish holiness, or make desecration less sacrilegious. We are still right to desire its restoration, though would not be right to commit murder, unjust mayhem or other evils to accomplish that.

Upvote 0

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Hey, Armoured, I'm sure you don't intend it, but your words would be AWFULLY offensive to the people who DID mount a desperate defense in those last days of that crumbling empire.
If we can be triggered in the afterlife, is it really an afterlife?

Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, if the Byzantines had bothered mounting a defence in 1453, it wouldn't be an issue now, would it?

if they didn't mount a defense, it would have taken six weeks of artillery fire to take the city. might not have been the best defense, but it was one nonetheless

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
if they didn't mount a defense, it would have taken six weeks of artillery fire to take the city. might not have been the best defense, but it was one nonetheless
Not wishing to engage in what may be perceived as a non-fellowship post in someone else's denominational sub. I'll just note that such things never happened during the Catholic Western European defensive operations there, and leave it at that.

Upvote 0

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Not wishing to engage in what may be perceived as a non-fellowship post in someone else's denominational sub. I'll just note that such things never happened during the Catholic Western European defensive operations there, and leave it at that.
The Venetians who were defending, and who died or fled during the siege, weren't Catholic?

Not that LARPing Byzantium is very helpful to anyone.

Upvote 0