Ubuntu

wayfaring stranger
Mar 7, 2012
✟33,907.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Here are some excerpts from a brilliant article that I highly recommend. Reading it felt like a breath of fresh air, and this a message that many Christians (including some adventists) without a doubt need to hear:

"I’m not arguing with those who use guns for sport or for any necessary purpose. Here’s what does bother me: those Christians who have cloaked their guns in spiritual significance, who treat them as talismans of their faith, who appear to find satisfaction in parading their firearms about and anticipating self-defense in the name of Jesus.

[...]

Can you imagine Jesus stalking through temple with the butt of an assault rifle against his shoulder, muttering “So you think you’re going to crucify me? Go ahead—make my day!”?

[...]

If you will, hear my saddest prediction: when United States culture completely fails and falls into incivility, which in light of certain political developments I am increasingly open to believing could happen, it is here where the first active fault will open. It will be the angry gun hoarders who will pull the trigger on the dissolution of American society, not because they have guns, but because they are enraged and feel victimized and have convinced themselves that their guns are their salvation. Christians will be among them—may even be leading them. God have mercy on us, because there’s nothing more dangerous than one who thinks he has God on his side and a semi-automatic to back Him up."

Read the entire article here:
http://spectrummagazine.org/article/2016/03/17/guns-and-god

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Amen! I don't see how the character of Christ with His meekness and humility that told us we would suffer persecutions for His sake can be associated with the guns blazin', peel it from my cold dead fingers crowd who call themselves Christians. Talk about taking the Lord's name in vain...

Reactions: Ubuntu
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can you imagine Jesus stalking through temple with the butt of an assault rifle against his shoulder, muttering “So you think you’re going to crucify me? Go ahead—make my day!”?
That image is just TOOOO funny!

But it reminds me of the Ray Overholt gospel tune:

He could have called 10,000 angels,
to destroy the world and set Him free.
He could have called 10,000 angels,
But He died alone for you and me.

Upvote 0

CaptainToad

Feb 7, 2015
✟13,139.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Guns are elements and a necessity of a specific culture. My culture doesnt endorse guns, so I dont have any need for guns. The US culture is highly attached to guns. It all depends on the culture and what weapons are used for. Remember Abraham, I think all of his men had guns - or weapons actually :)

Upvote 0