St Mary MacKillop of the Cross, pray for us
Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That's a fair answer...I didn't know there were a bazillion roos; or that they were particularily tasty. I'll take your word on it, though.

At least your country's coat of arms features animals that live in that country. Norway's has a lion. D'uh. Wonder if Tanzania's has a moose?
Well, a bazillion may have been a slight exaggeration. But only a slight one.

Upvote 0

helenofbritain

Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Wasn't a discussion but a request for information, and I think I got very nice informative answers.
I must admit that Australia seems like such a large country with so much wildlife to me, that I think in rural area's almost everyone would have a gun?
In rural areas, it can be 100km to your next door neighbour's property...

We don't have that much wildlife that needs shooting - most of the rabbits that have been here since colonisation were wiped out with mixymatosis and calaesius viruses - and it's professional roo-shooters who do most of the culling.

The rules for the registration and storage of handguns (particularly the storage - and the law that if someone nicks your gun cos it wasn't properly secured then you are responsible for any crimes they commit) means that there aren't many people who own guns who don'thave a good reason for having them.

And anything semi-automatic or fully automatic has been banned in all states and territories since the Port Arthur massacre in 1996.

Upvote 0

helenofbritain

Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Just askin'~are the roos tough to hunt? They appear to be thin-skinned so they're probably not hard to kill..
Only because they move quickly. I've never shot one, but protection wise, they got about as much going for them as the domestic moggie. So one good shot = dead kangaroo.

Upvote 0

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't have a problem with guns that are meant to be for hunting. I don't own a gun, but maybe I should go get one.

That being said, when I was in ROTC in high school, I did enjoy learning how to shoot a rifle. Interesting.

But I don't believe that we should use a gun, as an only option for self protection. Using a gun to save your life or the life of your family is viewed as justification in the Catholic Church teachings. But if we can figure out another way to save our life and the life of our family without killing another human being, that would be the best decision and action to take.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
and the law that if someone nicks your gun cos it wasn't properly secured then you are responsible for any crimes they commit) means that there aren't many people who own guns who don'thave a good reason for having them.

That would surely teach responsible gun ownership!

Hi! Come by more often. We miss you!

Upvote 0

helenofbritain

Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't have a problem with guns that are meant to be for hunting. I don't own a gun, but maybe I should go get one.

That being said, when I was in ROTC in high school, I did enjoy learning how to shoot a rifle. Interesting.

But I don't believe that we should use a gun, as an only option for self protection. Using a gun to save your life or the life of your family is viewed as justification in the Catholic Church teachings. But if we can figure out another way to save our life and the life of our family without killing another human being, that would be the best decision and action to take.
If no one had a gun, no one would have to have a gun to defend themselves from gun violence.

It's sounds so crazy it might just work.

Upvote 0

D'Ann

Catholic... Faith, Hope and the greatest is LOVE
Oct 28, 2004
✟72,336.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If no one had a gun, no one would have to have a gun to defend themselves from gun violence.

Oh, it would work 90% of the time, until someone broke into a home and tried to kill your family and/or rape you or your little ones... then the criminal would have a better chance of accomplishing their goals.

But if NO one had a gun, and if we didn't have people with a criminal mentality, then it probably would work quite nicely. :hug:

I grew up in Los Angeles, 8 miles from downtown L.A. I've seen a lot of criminals who hurt innocent people and get away with it.

I really have mixed feelings on the gun issue. I believe that when the USA forefathers stated that Americans have the right to carry arms, they had a good reason for this. Probably so that Americans could hunt and provide meat for their family and also if need be to protect their country as well.

But now adays, I wish that we did live in a world where there were no murderers, rapers and other violent type of criminals out there victimizing innocent people. I do believe that using a gun on another human being should be as a last result and if at all possible, killing a human being should be avoided at all costs. But the truth is, if someone was to break into my home and harm my children and/or husband, I don't know what I would do. I know that with my dying breath I would do everything within my power to protect my family.

I hope that makes sense. I also want to reiterate that I don't own a gun, but I have a lot of kitchen knives and some other handy things that I'm not afride to use if necessary. I also have two big dogs who know how to attack.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

helenofbritain

Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Oh, it would work 90% of the time, until someone broke into a home and tried to kill your family and/or rape you or your little ones... then the criminal would have a better chance of accomplishing their goals.

But if NO one had a gun, and if we didn't have people with a criminal mentality, then it probably would work quite nicely. :hug:
But now adays, I wish that we did live in a world where there were no murderers, rapers and other violent type of criminals out there victimizing innocent people. I do believe that using a gun on another human being should be as a last result and if at all possible, killing a human being should be avoided at all costs. But the truth is, if someone was to break into my home and harm my children and/or husband, I don't know what I would do. I know that with my dying breath I would do everything within my power to protect my family.

D'Ann, I'd really like it if you did me the honour of reading this article. I'll pull out some interesting facts from it while I'm at it, for those who won't click the link:

• The link between accessibility to firearms and death rates has been suggested in a number of studies. One study which examined the link between gun ownership rates and firearm deaths within Canadian provinces, the United States, England/Wales and Australia concluded that 92% of the variance in death rates was explained by access to firearms in those areas. Another review of 13 countries showed that there was a strong correlation between gun ownership and homicide rates and suicide rates. No evidence of substitution was found.
• In another study based on a standardized survey of victimization in fifty-four countries, gun ownership was significantly related to both the level of robberies and the level of sexual assaults. The relationship between levels of gun ownership and threats/assaults with a gun is also strong.
• This is underscored by comparisons of the United States and Canada. The costs of firearms death and injury in the two countries have been compared and estimated to be $495 (US) per resident in the United States compared to $195 per resident in Canada. Canada has always had stronger firearms regulation than the United States, particularly with respect to handguns. As a result, Canada has roughly 1 million handguns while the United States has more than 77 million. While there are other factors affecting murder, suicide and unintentional injury rates, a comparison of data in Canada and the United States suggests that access to handguns may play a role. While the murder rate without guns in the US is roughly equivalent (1.3 times) that of Canada, the murder rate with handguns is 15 times the Canadian rate.

Japan: Japan has a level of community safety which is unmatched by most of the world and reinforced by strong cultural norms. Japan had fewer gun deaths in all of 1995 than occur in an average day in the United States. In 1995, Japan had a total of 168 firearms shootings, in which 34 people were killed and 33 were injured. However, the Japanese are concerned about what they perceive as an escalation in violence.

Upvote 0

helenofbritain

Oct 24, 2006
Canberra
✟21,561.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I pulled the source code of a table in the article, in the hope it'll work.... let's see:

<table border="1" cellspacing="1" width="400" height="738">
<caption align="top"><strong><font face="Arial" size="2">Table 1 -
International Firearms Regulation, Access and Death</font></strong></caption>
<tr>
<td height="70"><font face="Arial" size="1"><strong>Country</strong></font></td>
<td height="70"><strong><font size="1" face="Arial">Licensing of gun
owners?</font></strong></td>
<td height="70"><strong><font size="1" face="Arial">Registration of
firearms?</font></strong></td>
<td height="70"><strong><font size="1" face="Arial">Other</font></strong></td>
<td height="70"><strong><font size="1" face="Arial">Households with
firearms (%)</font> </strong></td>
<td height="70"><strong><font size="1" face="Arial">Gun
Homicide (per 100,000)</font></strong></td>
<td height="70"><strong><font size="1" face="Arial">Gun Suicide (per
100,000)</font> </strong></td>
<td height="70"><strong><font size="1" face="Arial">Total Intentional
Gun Death Rate per 100,000</font></strong></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="50" height="56"><font size="1"
face="Arial">Japan </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="56"><font size="1"
face="Arial">Yes </font></td>
face="Arial">Prohibits handguns with few exceptions </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="56"><font size="1"
face="Arial">0.6 </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="43" height="56"><font
size="1" face="Arial">0.03 </font></td>
face="Arial">0.04</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="56"><font size="1" face="Arial">0.07</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="50" height="56"><font size="1" face="Arial">Singapore</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="56"><font size="1" face="Arial">Yes</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="56"><font size="1" face="Arial">Yes</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="56"><font size="1" face="Arial">Most
handguns and rifles prohibited</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="56"><font size="1" face="Arial">0.01
(795 in the country)</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="43" height="56"><font size="1" face="Arial">0.07</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="56"><font size="1" face="Arial">0.17</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="56"><font size="1" face="Arial">0.24</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="50" height="18"><font size="1" face="Arial">Taiwan</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="18"><font size="1" face="Arial">N/A</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="18"><font size="1" face="Arial">N/A</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="18"></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font size="1" face="Arial">N/A</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="43" height="18"><font size="1" face="Arial">0.15</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font size="1" face="Arial">0.12</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font size="1" face="Arial">0.27</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="50" height="18"><font size="1" face="Arial">Kuwait</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font size="1" face="Arial">N/A</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="43" height="18"><font size="1" face="Arial">0.34</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font size="1" face="Arial">0.03</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font size="1" face="Arial">0.37</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="50" height="33"><font size="1" face="Arial">England/</font>
<font size="1" face="Arial">Wales</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="33"><font size="1"
face="Arial">Prohibits handguns </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="33"><font size="1"
face="Arial">4.0 </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="43" height="33"><font size="1" face="Arial">0.07</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="33"><font size="1" face="Arial">0.33</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="33"><font size="1" face="Arial">0.4</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="50" height="18"><font size="1" face="Arial">Scotland</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="18"><font size="1" face="Arial">Yes</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="18"><font size="1" face="Arial">Yes</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="18"><font size="1" face="Arial">Same
as England and Wales</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font size="1" face="Arial">4.0</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="43" height="18"><font size="1" face="Arial">0.19</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font size="1" face="Arial">0.30</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font size="1" face="Arial">0.49</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="50" height="18"><font size="1"
face="Arial">Netherlands </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="18"><font size="1"
<td valign="top" width="100" height="18"><font face="Arial">&nbsp;</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font size="1"
face="Arial">1.9 </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="43" height="18"><font size="1" face="Arial">0.27</font></td>
face="Arial">0.28 </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font size="1" face="Arial">0.55</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
face="Arial">Spain </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="56"><font size="1" face="Arial">Some handguns and rifles are prohibited</font></td>
face="Arial">13.1 </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="43" height="56"><font size="1" face="Arial">0.19</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="56"><font size="1" face="Arial">0.55</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="56"><font size="1" face="Arial">0.74</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="50" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">Ireland</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">Yes</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">Yes</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">N/A</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="43" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">0.30</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">0.94</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">1.24</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="50" height="18"><font size="1"
face="Arial">Germany </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="18"><font face="Arial">&nbsp;</font></td>
face="Arial">8.9 </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="43" height="18"><font size="1" face="Arial">0.21</font></td>
face="Arial">1.23 </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font size="1" face="Arial">1.44</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="50" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">Italy</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">N/A</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="43" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">1.16</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">1.11</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">2.27</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="50" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">Sweden</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">Restrictions
in some regions</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">20</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="43" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">0.18</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">2.09</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">2.27</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="50" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">Denmark</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">Long
guns only</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">8</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="43" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">0.23</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">2.25</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">2.48</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="50" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">Israel</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="43" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">0.72</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">1.84</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">2.56</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="50" height="42"><font size="1"
face="Arial">New Zealand </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="42"><font size="1"
face="Arial">Handguns. Proposed for long guns </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="42"><font face="Arial">&nbsp;</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="42"><font size="1"
face="Arial">20 </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="43" height="42"><font size="1" face="Arial">0.22</font></td>
face="Arial">2.45 </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="42"><font size="1" face="Arial">2.67</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
face="Arial">Australia </font></td>
face="Arial">Banned semiautomatics unless good reason&nbsp; </font></td>
face="Arial">16.0 </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="43" height="56"><font size="1" face="Arial">0.56</font></td>
face="Arial">2.38 </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="56"><font size="1" face="Arial">2.94</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="50" height="28"><font size="1"
face="Arial">Belgium </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="28"><font size="1" face="Arial">Some</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="28"><font size="1"
face="Arial">Some rifles are prohibited </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="28"><font size="1"
face="Arial">16.6 </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="43" height="28"><font size="1" face="Arial">0.87</font></td>
face="Arial">2.45 </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="28"><font size="1" face="Arial">3.32</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="50" height="40"><font size="1"
face="Arial">Canada </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="40"><font size="1" face="Arial">by
2001</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="40"><font size="1" face="Arial">All
guns by 2003</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="40"><font size="1" face="Arial">Assault
weapons and some handguns</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="40"><font size="1"
face="Arial">26 </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="43" height="40"><font size="1" face="Arial">0.60</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="40"><font size="1"
face="Arial">3.35 </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="40"><font size="1" face="Arial">3.95</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="50" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">Norway</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">Unknown</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">32</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="43" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">0.36</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">3.87</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">4.23</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="50" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">Austria</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">Some
handguns and rifles are prohibited</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">16-18%</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="43" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">0.42</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">4.06</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="18"><font face="Arial" size="1">4.48</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="50" height="33"><font size="1"
face="Arial">Northern</font> <font size="1"
face="Arial">Ireland</font>
</td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="33"><font size="1" face="Arial">UK
legislation applies</font></td>
face="Arial">8.4 </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="43" height="33"><font
size="1" face="Arial">3.55</font></td>
face="Arial">1.18 </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="33"><font size="1" face="Arial">4.72</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="50" height="28"><font size="1"
face="Arial">France </font></td>
face="Arial">Yes, except&nbsp; sporting rifles </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="28"><font face="Arial">&nbsp;</font></td>
face="Arial">22.6 </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="43" height="28"><font
size="1" face="Arial">0.55 </font></td>
face="Arial">4.93 </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="28"><font size="1" face="Arial">5.48</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="50" height="26"><font size="1"
face="Arial">Switzerland </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="26"><font size="1" face="Arial">Yes</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="26"><font size="1" face="Arial">Yes</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="26"><font face="Arial">&nbsp;</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="26"><font size="1"
face="Arial">27.2 </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="43" height="26"><font size="1" face="Arial">0.46</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="26"><font size="1"
face="Arial">5.74 </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="26"><font size="1" face="Arial">6.2</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="50" height="19"><font size="1"
face="Arial">Finland </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="100" height="19"><font size="1"
face="Arial">No prohibitions </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="19"><font size="1"
face="Arial">50 </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="43" height="19"><font
size="1" face="Arial">0.87 </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="19"><font size="1"
face="Arial">5.78</font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="19"><font face="Arial" size="1">6.65</font></td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top" width="50" height="42"><font size="1"
face="Arial">USA </font></td>
face="Arial">in some states </font></td>
face="Arial">Handguns in some states </font></td>
face="Arial">Some weapons in some states </font></td>
face="Arial">41 </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="43" height="42"><font
size="1" face="Arial">6.24 </font></td>
face="Arial">7.23 </font></td>
<td valign="top" width="36" height="42"><font face="Arial" size="1">13.47</font></td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>

<p><strong><font size="1" face="Arial">Source: <a href="http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hpb/lcdc/publicat/cdic/cdic191/cd191d_e.html"> W.
Cukier,
Firearms Regulation: Canada in the International Context, Chronic
Diseases in Canada, April, 1998</a> (statistics updated to reflect most recent
figures, January 2001)</font></strong></p>

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I really have mixed feelings on the gun issue. I believe that when the USA forefathers stated that Americans have the right to carry arms, they had a good reason for this. Probably so that Americans could hunt and provide meat for their family and also if need be to protect their country as well.

The creation of the Second Ammendment had absolutely possitively nothing to do with firearms as they relate to sporting purposes or putting food on the table. It's reason for being is twofold - that the people should be able to assist in the defence of their country and that the people should have at least a chance of overthrowing an oppressive government should it ever be necesarry.

To the second point many little picture folks have quipped "oh yeah right, what are a bunch of hicks with bolt action rifles going to do against the best military in the world? The answer is "defeat it". There is no scenerio in which an all-powerful, oppressive US government would attack (or even counter-attack) it's citizens with airstrikes and such. Greedy governments do not wish to destroy their cities, their sources of income.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Guns do not cause crime. Areas of the United States with the highest per capita rates of gun ownership tend to have less gun violence than areas with less guns. Guns are far less common in the inner city than thaty are in rural areas. Poverty and unemployment is a better predictor of violence than the prevelance of guns in any area of the United States. I firmly believe thaty a well-armed but peaceful society is more than just possible, I grew up in on. My father was an antique arms collector, nationally known. I don't ever remember not owning and being responsible for the storrage of my own guns. I grew up in the country, I'm sure I was hunting alone by the time I was 10 or 11. I'm only in my early thirties but I recall walking a mile or so down the road with my Browning Superposed 28ga uncased and broken over my shoulder to the woods where I would hunt birds. Nobody batted an eye, that sort of thing was not at all uncommon. I haven't seen that in a while though - I suspect kids are more interested in video games now tham quail. That's too bad.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Guns do not cause crime.
No, they just make it easier for criminals--and for children to hurt themselves. (helenofbritain, now you see why you were warned against talking gun control with us?)

I still remember (not very many years ago) when my daughter was babysitting some rowdy boys. The boys found and decided to play with a rifle the boys' dad thought was safely put up (just leaning against the wall in a "out-of-the-way" closet :doh:) that is after they found and put into play their daddy's flare gun. (Daughter conviscated both, informed parents, and never babysat those kids again.)

Guns may not cause crime, but they do make it easier for even innocent folks to get badly hurt.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
helenofbritain, now you see why you were warned against talking gun control with us?

It was HoB who gave that warning. Did I say something out of line? Lots of tools are dangerous when used negligently or with ill-intent. Your daughter would not have been and better off had the rowdy boys decided they wanted to cruise around the yard in daddy's car or play with Daddy's chainsaw, hot-water heater, oxy-acetelyne torch, matches, or any other number of useful things that demmand respect and care.

Guns can be very dangerous - no doubt about it. They are involved in way too many senseles deaths for me to be comfortable with...but they are common in the US, and if you look at the statistics, they really aren't that dangerous. Just about every farmer owns a gun and some light machinery. Farmers are far more likely to die in a farm accident than a gun accident. Combines don't get the press that guns do though, because guns are scary and easily politicised. they are a tool that can kill - the only reason they get the press that they do is because they are mors common than other tools that can kill - not because they are more dangerous.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
HoB

But the Military would still have guns, and the people need guns incase the Government ever tries to get out of line.
I am not anti-government, both of my parents were in the Navy and my Dad works for the federal government now, Uncle Sam has been very very good to us, but they will be the first to tell you that the common people need to have the right to be armed.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.