Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I wonder about this one. I notice all those at the front do not have haloes. So I'm wondering if those are the Christians on earth?

I can't read any of the text.

all-new-martyrs-2.jpg

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This Russian variant was painted during the communist scourge almost certainly by ROCOR.

Most likely the ones without halos are representative of all the "unknown" saints (the majority) that will never be canonized. This icon emphasizes all the devout russians that were martyred or died under the communists. The military figures probably represent the white russians (those that opposed the soviet red army) and were purged from their ranks.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thank you, Buzuxi. :)

So I am searching ... What I wonder is if there is an icon specifically illustrating the fact that we on earth, as yet not perfected, are surrounded in fact by a cloud of witnesses, who are the Saints? But I mean one that includes the portrayal, in some sense, of the living?

I know there are icons that illustrate Biblical scenes, and principles. But I'm not sure this one would be ... ?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
it's kinda related, but there is the icon of Agai Skepi, where the Church in Blacharnae sees the protection of the Mother of God. so you do see the Church Triumphant and the Church Militant as one Church.

So this would be the icon? I do like this. I thank you for the information, and I'll think about it for a while. :)

HOLY_PROTECTION_2__10385.1409482906.1000.1200.JPG

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If I can get it to post, this picture is the one that inspired the question. What I'd REALLY LIKE to see is an image of receiving the Eucharist or prayers during the Liturgy that show the Saints as well.

Or maybe one of a person praying alone with the Saints with them.

Anyway, here's the image that made me think of it. I thought there probably wouldn't be such an icon, but I wanted to ask. :)

image.jpg1_1.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums