Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This is a little difficult to explain, I want to ask whether

In order to be converted is it necessary to hear the Gospel (Good news) message preached, or can one equally be converted through reading studying the Bible, reading a christian tract, or some other evangelistic literature by oneself. In other words is it only by preaching (proclaiming) in the context of a church service that people become christians. Must one go to a Gospel service, evangelistic event? I am just wondering. Because there are not always gospel services in churchs. Its often teaching for people who are already christians it seems to me.

I am thinking of a verse in the Bible that faith come through hearing, and hearing by the Word of God, also Phillip the evangelist and the Ethopian official where the man was reading Isaiah but could not understand, and Phillip explained it to him

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This hearing is not necessarily hearing with physical ears, but "getting it" by whatever means.
Consider a physically deaf person.. :)
It's about getting the message and submitting to it.
None the less, it is necessary also to communicate with believers, to verify, to learn, etcetera.

Upvote 0

samir

Dec 9, 2015
us
✟18,067.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
In order to be converted is it necessary to hear the Gospel (Good news) message preached, or can one equally be converted through reading studying the Bible, reading a christian tract, or some other evangelistic literature by oneself.

I hope not because that would mean deaf people can't be saved.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

In order to be converted is it necessary to hear the Gospel (Good news) message preached, or can one equally be converted through reading studying the Bible, reading a christian tract, or some other evangelistic literature by oneself. In other words is it only by preaching (proclaiming) in the context of a church service that people become christians. Must one go to a Gospel service, evangelistic event? I am just wondering. Because there are not always gospel services in churchs. Its often teaching for people who are already christians it seems to me.

I am thinking of a verse in the Bible that faith come through hearing, and hearing by the Word of God, also Phillip the evangelist and the Ethopian official where the man was reading Isaiah but could not understand, and Phillip explained it to him

The Holy Spirit reaches out to each of us through the revelations in Scripture. The "reaching out" is based upon the love of God to see that no one remains lost (exists without knowing God). Faith comes by "hearing" the Holy Spirit as He ministers to each of us. One may experience His ministry with or without Bible study. When one places oneself in a Christian assembly, for example, it is the Holy Spirit that did the placing. When one finds oneself drifting, alone, depressed, confused, then softly and tenderly experiences the "call" of the Holy Spirit, one is led to follow His lead. Drop in at a local Christian assembly? Read the Bible? Buy a book at a Christian bookstore? Ask others about this moving experience? I remember the slight smile followed by humbleness followed by prayer followed by weeping followed by joy, thanking God, opening my Bible, reading the Book of John, going to a local assembly, having lunch with the Pastor, sharing my joy................ all those awesome events that occurred, not from an audible voice, not by my efforts, not by might, not by power, but in accordance with His Amazing Grace.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

The proclamation of the gospel is the prescribed means that Christ gave us (Mark 16:15).

What do you mean by "gospel services"?

In some way, large or small, the gospel should be in every sermon and the liturgy. The songs, the scripture reading, the Lord's Supper, the prayers. . . they all should be gospel-drenched.

Upvote 0

shakewell

Jun 17, 2013
✟40,638.00
Faith
Christian

"Hearing" in Romans 10:17 should be taken figuratively. You don't necessarily have to go to any kind of religious service; God gets the gospel to each person in a unique way. People can get saved in a bar, a brothel, or when they're all by themselves; as the Holy Spirit convicts them and brings to their mind the gospel message they've previously heard. A person can get saved by just reading a Bible, tract, or literature. The Ethiopian eunuch needed help from Phillip in understanding the passage in Isaiah 53, so God provided for him according to his particular needs.

Upvote 0

shakewell

Jun 17, 2013
✟40,638.00
Faith
Christian
Does a new convert need a another christian, a minister to confirm that they are in fact a christian?

No. Not in order to be saved. They would have no way to confirm it because only God looks on the heart. Furthermore you get saved by believing God's promise: Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. John 5:24 You know when you believe something. When you believe on God's Son you have everlasting life. There's your confirmation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This hearing is not necessarily hearing with physical ears, but "getting it" by whatever means.
Consider a physically deaf person.. :)
It's about getting the message and submitting to it.
None the less, it is necessary also to communicate with believers, to verify, to learn, etcetera.

Or as in "hearing" what the Bible is saying. And to be honest, there are cases when you are better of with just the bible, you and God when you take the leap of faith. Some say a physical Baptism is necessary, but I wonder.

Does a new convert need a another christian, a minister to confirm that they are in fact a christian?

Absolutely not.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Why does another individual need to be involved in this? And what's catechized?

They must be received into the church by the elders, baptized, and taught the doctrines of the faith (catechized) as Jesus instructed:

"Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. 17 And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted.18 And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (Matt. 28:16-20)

Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The Holy Spirit reaches out to each of us through the revelations in Scripture. The "reaching out" is based upon the love of God to see that no one remains lost (exists without knowing God). Faith comes by "hearing" the Holy Spirit as He ministers to each of us. One may experience His ministry with or without Bible study. When one places oneself in a Christian assembly, for example, it is the Holy Spirit that did the placing. When one finds oneself drifting, alone, depressed, confused, then softly and tenderly experiences the "call" of the Holy Spirit, one is led to follow His lead. Drop in at a local Christian assembly? Read the Bible? Buy a book at a Christian bookstore? Ask others about this moving experience? I remember the slight smile followed by humbleness followed by prayer followed by weeping followed by joy, thanking God, opening my Bible, reading the Book of John, going to a local assembly, having lunch with the Pastor, sharing my joy................ all those awesome events that occurred, not from an audible voice, not by my efforts, not by might, not by power, but in accordance with His Amazing Grace.

Back in my twenties I had a nihilistic phase or whatever it was I thought theres no meaning, no truth. After I while going nowhere I kind of made an effort against myself inspite of myself to just go to a church again. Told myself - to just go, behaviourally as it were. I said nihilism but i can't be sure I think i viewed things in a behaviourist manner (ie. materially) But i proably had several notions/ views competing in my mind - i am not really sure. It is hard to remember but I guess thought maybe I can change from the outside - in, ie begin behaviourally and just physically go to church. quite honestly I didn't have any interest in going, and it bothered me that i was doing something i knew i didn't want to do, but I must have dismissed that, for I started to go. I hope i am telling it right. I went for several years, was involved in things, but I never really felt interested in it.

So when people say to me the Holy Spirit is drawing you, i think no, its just me forcing myself, do you know what i mean. If I felt an interest, or desire to go I would say that might be the Holy Spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Back in my twenties I had a nihilistic phase or whatever it was I thought theres no meaning, no truth. After I while going nowhere I kind of made an effort against myself inspite of myself to just go to a church again. Told myself - to just go, behaviourally as it were. I said nihilism but i can't be sure I think i viewed things in a behaviourist manner (ie. materially) But i proably had several notions/ views competing in my mind - i am not really sure. It is hard to remember but I guess thought maybe I can change from the outside - in, ie begin behaviourally and just physically go to church. quite honestly I didn't have any interest in going, and it bothered me that i was doing something i knew i didn't want to do, but I must have dismissed that, for I started to go. I hope i am telling it right. I went for several years, was involved in things, but I never really felt interested in it.

So when people say to me the Holy Spirit is drawing you, i think no, its just me forcing myself, do you know what i mean. If I felt an interest, or desire to go I would say that might be the Holy Spirit.

A regenerated person has an appetite for things he didn't have prior to regeneration, so I would agree that a desire to be with God's people is a sign a regeneration; however, sometimes I have to force myself to attend service. . .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. 17 And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted.18 And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (Matt. 28:16-20)

All I can tell you is, I see nothing there that requires anyone to do the things you mention in order to be saved. You can try to point it out, but not seeing it....

As I said there is indication Baptism may be a good idea, and a very slim chance it may even be a necessity but I doubt it. A ceremony proves nothing, and not that baptism isn't fine, but in the long run submitting to God and acting like we should will go a lot further than anything else. That other stuff, no way it's a requirement.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
All I can tell you is, I see nothing there that requires anyone to do the things you mention in order to be saved. You can try to point it out, but not seeing it....

As I said there is indication Baptism may be a good idea, and a very slim chance it may even be a necessity but I doubt it. A ceremony proves nothing, and not that baptism isn't fine, but in the long run submitting to God and acting like we should will go a lot further than anything else. That other stuff, no way it's a requirement.

The OP asked (in post #2), "Does a new convert need a another christian, a minister to confirm that they are in fact a christian?" That's what I was answering in the post you are quoting.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The OP asked (in post #2), "Does a new convert need a another christian, a minister to confirm that they are in fact a christian?" That's what I was answering in the post you are quoting.

I understand, and I don't think they do. I was hoping for scripture to verify your point and I didn't really get that verification of it being a necessity form what you posted.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I understand, and I don't think they do. I was hoping for scripture to verify your point and I didn't really get that verification of it being a necessity form what you posted.

I'll try again:

"19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in[a] the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. ” (Matt. 28:19-20)
One cannot do any of the things that Jesus commanded to/for himself. The church makes disciples. The church baptists. The church teaches Christians the doctrines of the faith.

Acts 2 is another good place to look at this:

"And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved."
People are saved into the church, not independently of it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

the Scripture(biblical) is a recorded word of God, while the living word of God is the one that comes (directly) from the mouth of God, which implies the need of worshipers to seek the One Who is really the true Lord God, because the received word of god may be according to what the believed god is

Blessings

Upvote 0