Good traditional Catholic Church arounf Norfolk?

Wolf_Says

Aug 19, 2016
USA
✟30,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So me and my wife will be moving to around the Norfolk area later this year, and I was hoping that somebody on this forum could help me decide what Church for me and my wife to go to?

Before I got into my new job, I attended the St Cyril and Methodious Slovak Catholic Church in MI, and I loved it. Basically grew up there in a sense. I loved how traditional it was, it's focus on the important parts in mass, the bells, incense, the Tabernacle smack dab where it belonged (right behind the alter) and the priest off to the side and NOT right behind the alter.

I honestly love everything about that Church, and miss it dearly. Where me and my wife currently live we have not found a Catholic Church that can measure up as most here are small, not extremely well upkept, and don't seem as friendly.

Does anybody know of a Catholic Church around the Norfolk area in VA that is traditional?

This is my old home parish and a welcome video from the pastor
http://www.saintcyrils.org/assets/welcome-video.mp4
Home

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: archer75

Wolf_Says

Aug 19, 2016
USA
✟30,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Biggity Bam!

St. Benedict's Parish | Home of the Traditional Latin Mass

The FSSP has a very good reputation among Traditional Catholics who are in Communion with Rome and don't subscribe to bizarre conspiracies.

Cool, seems pretty similar to my home parish, except it did mass facing the people and not the tabernacle. They had latin mass I think saturday evenings, a slovak mass sundays around 11, and every other mass was in english, though they sung in latin very often.

They also have confession every day, 30minutes prior to every mass.

Home

Sigh, just talking about the parish makes me want to go back...but I can't thanks to my job and moving.

Upvote 0

Wolf_Says

Aug 19, 2016
USA
✟30,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Because there is no other reason to step foot in Norfolk. Well, civilian yard workers too, I guess...

So just to make sure, is St Benedict's Parish in communion with the Pope? Just wanting to make sure, because I have run into some churches that are Catholic and yet not in communion with the Pope.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So just to make sure, is St Benedict's Parish in communion with the Pope? Just wanting to make sure, because I have run into some churches that are Catholic and yet not in communion with the Pope.

Yes, the FSSP and ICRSS (ICKSP) are Traditional groups who have not abandoned the true Church and are in full Communion with Rome and recognize Pope Francis as Pope. That is not true of some other, kinda wacky conspiracy theorist groups.

Upvote 0

Wolf_Says

Aug 19, 2016
USA
✟30,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, the FSSP and ICRSS (ICKSP) are Traditional groups who have not abandoned the true Church and are in full Communion with Rome and recognize Pope Francis as Pope. That is not true of some other, kinda wacky conspiracy theorist groups.

Okay, just wanted to make sure. What is the ICRSS?? I have never heard of them before. (Though I had never heard of the FSSP before either)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wolf_Says

Aug 19, 2016
USA
✟30,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Also is this the only Catholic Church that you can think of that values Traditional Catholicism but maybe conducts mass in the post Vatican 2 form? Similar to my old parish that I have provided the link for?

Simply because if everything is in Latin all the time, I do not speak or understand all latin and it will distract me from the holy Mass.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Okay, just wanted to make sure. What is the ICRSS?? I have never heard of them before. (Though I had never heard of the FSSP before either)

ICRSS is the Latin abbreviation for the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest (Institutum Christi Regis Summi Sacerdotis), they're a priestly society just like the FSSP, though they have far fewer parishes, which they call oratories. They also have a stronger emphasis on sacred music from what I understand. I've watched a few YouTube videos of their Masses and they blow my mind. If you happen to have one near you I would highly recommend attending a Mass.

Also is this the only Catholic Church that you can think of that values Traditional Catholicism but maybe conducts mass in the post Vatican 2 form? Similar to my old parish that I have provided the link for?

Simply because if everything is in Latin all the time, I do not speak or understand all latin and it will distract me from the holy Mass.

Parishes that offer the Latin Mass tend to be more guaranteed to be Traditional, whereas finding a Traditional parish that maybe offers a more 'classic' Novus Ordo could be a bit trickier to find cause they're not always advertised as such. There are websites out there that list all the Latin Masses so it's kind of a catalogue of Traditional parishes, if that makes sense.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest.
Institute of Christ the King § Home

Roughly similar to the FSSP. I have never experiences the FSSP liturgy first hand, but from what I have seen on youtube they are very well done. I have been involved with the ICKSP (ICRSS is the Latin and more proper acronym - plus it doesn't say "ick") and cannot say enough good things about them!!

Upvote 0

Wolf_Says

Aug 19, 2016
USA
✟30,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
ICRSS is the Latin abbreviation for the Institute of Christ the King Sovereign Priest (Institutum Christi Regis Summi Sacerdotis), they're a priestly society just like the FSSP, though they have far fewer parishes, which they call oratories. They also have a stronger emphasis on sacred music from what I understand. I've watched a few YouTube videos of their Masses and they blow my mind. If you happen to have one near you I would highly recommend attending a Mass.

Parishes that offer the Latin Mass tend to be more guaranteed to be Traditional, whereas finding a Traditional parish that maybe offers a more 'classic' Novus Ordo could be a bit trickier to find cause they're not always advertised as such. There are websites out there that list all the Latin Masses so it's kind of a catalogue of Traditional parishes, if that makes sense.

Oh, any way you could provide me a link? That would be great.

I provided my old home parish link and a video to show kinda what I am talking about, as it could probably explain what I am looking for more than I personally could in words.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Oh, any way you could provide me a link? That would be great.

I provided my old home parish link and a video to show kinda what I am talking about, as it could probably explain what I am looking for more than I personally could in words.

Link to the ICRSS? This is their website.

Also, here's a link to a directory for all Latin Masses in North America. It's not perfectly up to date but it's relatively accurate.

• Agree
Reactions: MikeK
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums