Good News: No Hell

Hoghead1

Oct 27, 2015
✟8,968.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
No, I don't think Rome is a shadow of what is to come, Ewq1938. The shadow approach collapses events into being mere previews of the future and therefore depletes the events from having any historical value in themselves. Also, you claimed that everything is annihilated in the Lake of Fire. Now, you say Satan lives on. That seems a contradiction.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No, I don't think Rome is a shadow of what is to come, Ewq1938. The shadow approach collapses events into being mere previews of the future and therefore depletes the events from having any historical value in themselves. Also, you claimed that everything is annihilated in the Lake of Fire. Now, you say Satan lives on. That seems a contradiction.

I don't believe Satan survives but if he does then he is the only one that is. All humans that go there are destroyed according to scripture.

Upvote 0

Hillsage

One 4 Him & Him 4 all
Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2009
The land of OZ
✟322,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
But, Hillsage, if you are claiming, as you appear to be doing, that everything that happens is predestined by God, then we have absolutely no freedom, and God ends up being the author of terrible evil and suffering.
Isn't that exactly what the church believes to be ETERNALLY true? Doesn't the OT make you kind of cringe at times? It certainly does me.

I typed up a screensaver banner one time that said; "God reigns through those who obey, and He rules over those who disobey." I don't limit those words to just believers. I think that the concept of 'Free Will' sounds good because we 'think' we have it. But I don't see 'total free will' in scripture.

What father holding his little girl‘s hand crossing a busy street would ever let it go? The more she pulls, the tighter he squeezes. There is no way she is going anywhere! Is God any different? The argument that a person can choose hell by rejecting God as a result of "free" will is in effect saying a little girl has more strength than her dad. God has given man a "measure" of free will, but certainly not to the degree that He would allow him or her to damn themselves forever in torment. Is God less of a parent than we are (Mt.7:11)? We extend increasing freedom to our children as they mature. Too much too soon is disastrous. He knows just how much freedom we need for our development.

God, as Creator, is owner of all things (Ps. 2:8; Ez. 18:4; Col.1:16; He. 1:2), and that includes you and I. He has never relinquished that title. Only He has absolute "free" will over His property. Should we be forever lost, He would be the loser and God is not a loser! Many say hell is locked on the inside. But Christ has the keys! (Re.1:18). Many believe God‘s hands are tied; as much as He would like to keep us, He is unable. But, is our power to destroy His property really greater than His power to preserve or restore it? How free and powerful are we? What role did we play in controlling our life experiences that have made us what we are? Will we deliberately choose what sufferings we will undergo in the future that inevitably will affect what we become? What intricacies of our reasoning processes, which determine our decisions, do we fully control?

Is the Bible right in saying no one seeks after God, that our natural mind is at odds with Him and not subject to his law? Indeed it cannot be subject said Paul (Rom 3:11, 8:7). How can a naturally hostile mind, which indeed cannot submit itself to God, of its own "free" will do so? Is there not a contradiction here? Only God can give us faith and draw us to Himself; we cannot muster it up. See Heb 12:2, Ro 12:3, Jn 6:44, 15:16, Phil 1:29, Mt 11:27; 16:16-17: Jn 1:13; Act 13:48; 1Co 4:7; Ep 2:8-9; 3;16-17; Ph 1:6; 2:13; col 1:12; 2Th 3:2; 1Ti 1:14; Tit 1:1; Ez 36:26-27; Jer 24:7; 31:33-34; 32:39-40. To idolize "free" will as though it were the crux of our salvation contradicts the Bible's 'predestination truth' and fosters a boastful attitude!

PHI 2:13 for God is at work in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

I don't claim 'all understanding' of this, but I do know there's enough in scripture on this subject that I yield to its depths.

Romans 9:20-21 But indeed, O man, who are you to reply against God? Will the thing formed say to him who formed it, “Why have you made me like this?” Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor?
"What God requires of us he himself works in us, or it is not done. He that commands faith, holiness, and love, creates them by the power of his grace..." - Matthew Henry

Upvote 0

jugghead

Growing
May 25, 2015
Smyrna, TN
✟24,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"What God requires of us he himself works in us, or it is not done. He that commands faith, holiness, and love, creates them by the power of his grace..." - Matthew Henry

And THAT is the power and the glory of God that is unchanging

Reactions: Hillsage
Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't believe Satan survives but if he does then he is the only one that is. All humans that go there are destroyed according to scripture.

Which scripture precisely says that "All humans that go there [the lake of fire] are destroyed?" The false prophet, who was a human, was thrown into the LOF with the devil and the beast but they are not destroyed, all three "shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever."

Revelation 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It depends on how you interpret 20:10. Is the Devil the beast? It never says the Devil will be annihilated, just that he is thrown into a place where there is torment night and day. So it really isn't clear here what happens to him.

Looks quite clear to me the verb tormented is plural so all three devil, beast and false prophet are thrown into the Lake of Fire and, millions of eons from now God's unchanging word will still read, "tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Revelation 20:10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It depends on how you interpret 20:10. Is the Devil the beast? It never says the Devil will be annihilated, just that he is thrown into a place where there is torment night and day. So it really isn't clear here what happens to him.

The lake of fire is called the second death so it's a place of death not life. I believe the torment night and day is a figure of speech not that Satan has eternal life of torment.

Heb_2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

Upvote 0

2KnowHim

Dying to Live
Feb 18, 2007
✟9,963.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Night and Day is Covenant with God. It has to do with this earth, time/ages and David/His Son and us.

Gen 8:21 And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.
Gen 8:22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
Jer 33:20 Thus saith the LORD; If ye can break my covenant of the day, and my covenant of the night, and that there should not be day and night in their season;
Jer 33:21 Then may also my covenant be broken with David my servant, that he should not have a son to reign upon his throne; and with the Levites the priests, my ministers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The lake of fire is called the second death so it's a place of death not life. I believe the torment night and day is a figure of speech not that Satan has eternal life of torment.

Hebrews 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

The word
καταργέω/katargeo translated "destroyed" in Hebrews 2:14 does not mean to destroy/annihilate/cease to exist

Hebrews 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy [καταργέω/katargeo] him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

Luke 13:7 Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth [
καταργέω/katargeo] it the ground?

Romans 7:2 For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed [
καταργέω/katargeo] from the law of her husband.

Romans 7:6 But now we are delivered [
καταργέω/katargeo] from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

1 Corinthians 2:6 Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought: [
καταργέω/katargeo]

1 Corinthians 13:11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away [
καταργέω/katargeo] childish things.

Galatians 5:4 Christ is become of no effect [
καταργέω/katargeo] unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

Upvote 0