Good-looking people dominate. Is that really a bad thing?

LOVEthroughINTELLECT

The courage to be human
Jul 30, 2005
✟25,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
We are supposed to believe in some conspiracy theory about how extremely superficial people with flawed priorities use airbrushed images enhanced with cosmetic surgery that costs as much as a mortgage to bombard us with unattainable ideals of physical beauty and lead us to spend the GDP of some countries on cosmetics, diets, gym memberships, etc.

The problem is that the common good-looking person does not meet such unattainable ideals. Yet, it seems that they invariably occupy almost all of the positions of influence in modern society.

I guess we are supposed to believe that that is the result of some unofficial affirmative action for good-looking people. Well, as far as I can tell they are all very talented and good at what they do. It's not like people who are not good-looking get snubbed in favor of people who are good-looking but are either less talented or not even qualified.

Make no mistake about it, the people of this world who are not good-looking do not think highly of good-looking people or their admirers when it comes to morality. But I am starting to get tired of good-looking-people-bashing and admirers-of-good-looking-people-bashing. If it is as bad of an injustice as we are supposed to believe that it is then why don't the non-good-looking resist like the Civil Rights and Women's Liberation movements?

Everybody is the target of some kind of unfair, unjust treatment. Having irrational thoughts and being consumed by negative emotions when considering a diverse segment of the population accomplishes nothing. It does, however, probably interfere with a lot of potential joy in life and undermine a lot of potentionally rewarding relationships.

Of course, the defenders of good-looking people often go too far. They insult the general population with statements like, "Good-looking people are more successful because they are more confident". Neither does it help matters when they show no empathy for those who might be dealing with body image issues.

But is trying to philosophize and theologize good looks away the answer?

Why can't we all just admire good-looking people and be happy for them?

Last edited:

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
We are supposed to believe in some conspiracy theory about how extremely superficial people with flawed priorities use airbrushed images enhanced with cosmetic surgery that costs as much as a mortgage to bombard us with unattainable ideals of physical beauty and lead us to spend the GDP of some countries on cosmetics, diets, gym memberships, etc.

The problem is that the common good-looking person does not meet such unattainable ideals. Yet, it seems that they invariably occupy almost all of the positions of influence in modern society.

I guess we are supposed to believe that that is the result of some unofficial affirmative action for good-looking people. Well, as far as I can tell they are all very talented and good at what they do. It's not like people who are not good-looking get snubbed in favor of people who are good-looking but are either less talented or not even qualified.

Make no mistake about it, the people of this world who are not good-looking do not think highly of good-looking people or their admirers when it comes to morality. But I am starting to get tired of good-looking-people-bashing and admirers-of-good-looking-people-bashing. If it is as bad of an injustice as we are supposed to believe that it is then why don't the non-good-looking resist like the Civil Rights and Women's Liberation Movements?

Everybody is the target of some kind of unfair, unjust treatment. Having irrational thoughts and being consumed by negative emotions when considering a diverse segment of the population accomplishes nothing. It does, however, probably interfere with a lot of potential joy in life and undermine a lot of potentionally rewarding relationships.

Of course, the defenders of good-looking people often go too far. They insult the general population with statements like, "Good-looking people are more successful because they are more confident". Neither does it help matters when they show no empathy for those who might be dealing with body image issues.

But is trying to theologize good looks away the answer?

Why can't we all just admire good-looking people and be happy for them?
I don't have the dualistic sense of good looking people vs. ugly people. So my theory is, just be happy for people regardless of what they look like and mind your own business.

Or maybe I am like this because I am a hottie. Who knows...

Upvote 0

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟279,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't bash good looking people, because everyone has a different take on what a good looking person is. What one may find beautiful, one may find not so beautiful. But I DO think that people in positions of jobs have an idea of what they want their employees to look like. I'm sorry, but it's just the way it goes. Is it superficial? Yes. But does it happen? All the time. lol I think that people can feel the way they want to feel.

Upvote 0
U

Ukrainia

A certain segment of the population will attempt to demonize those who have certain advantages. The powerful, the rich, the intellegent and the beautiful are often lambasted for having such attributes, I think mostly due to jealousy. Sure, their might be some truth to various stereotypes (the intellegent consider themselves elitist, or the beautiful are self absorbed) but many people who are outstanding in one or more of these catagories actually are moral, hardworking people who have oftentimes earned what they've gotten.

For those who bash the beautiful because they have job and dating related advantages that others do not - which is, of course, true - if you were stunningly beautiful, or dashingly handsome would you not take advantage of it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

K9_Trainer

Unusually unusual, absolutely unpredictable
May 31, 2006
✟18,437.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Thats life for ya. I think people just need to build a bridge and get over it.

And its not that the standards of beauty on TV and in photos are unattainable. Its that they are only attainable for a fraction of the population. If you are 5' tall, you will never have the long, toned legs of a model no matter how much you diet or work out, and it doesn't mean you're ugly if you can't.

Upvote 0

SweetDee

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.
Jul 13, 2010
Hogwarts
✟22,875.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: DCN2
Upvote 0

crishmael

nothing but the rain
Aug 29, 2008
Tejas
✟32,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I say down with the beautiful! It's time for us Morlocks to have our day.

morlocks2.jpg

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well it does bother me when good looking people are rewarded higher for thing than they really should be. Such as getting more laughs for jokes that are typically awful. All you are doing is encouraging them to make more annoying jokes and worse be cocky about it.

Doesn't' really make much sense to me in the first place, especially when I see ugly guys bow down and be the good looking guy's tool. I mean jeeze, it's just a certain facial bodily arrangement. I gawk after pretty women too, but I'll never laugh at their jokes if they don't deserve it, or even really pay much attention to them besides admiration of their looks.

Though oh the opposite of the spectrum I don't really pay attention much to certain types of ugly people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,163,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"beautiful" is quite subjective. Certainly the type of people I find very attractive aren't always in the higher up places of society.

Yeah I'm not really sure what he means by beautiful people being higher up in society lol... The people on tv? They look pretty meh to me lol.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums