Going undercover at a Mormon church--any advice?

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟331,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's for a school assignment; we have to seek out a scenario that we are completely unfamiliar with and participate in it for at least an hour. Not only haven't I set my heathen foot in a church for over six years, I've never been in a mormon church before, period. I'm looking forward to the experience, but I am a bit nervous. I'm not going there to argue or debate, just to quietly participate and see what it's like. If anyone asks then I will tell them I am an atheist, but I don't want to stand out like a sore thumb if I don't have to.

Any tips for blending in? Any clothes I should avoid wearing or things I should avoid saying? Any rituals or activities I should expect to participate in?
Your going to stick out , because you never been there. They will be nice anyways. Wear nice dress and heels. I wouldn't wear a short dress, 10 inches above your knees. Maybe around the knees or lower should be fine. I wouldn't wear a cross necklace.

Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's for a school assignment; we have to seek out a scenario that we are completely unfamiliar with and participate in it for at least an hour. Not only haven't I set my heathen foot in a church for over six years, I've never been in a mormon church before, period. I'm looking forward to the experience, but I am a bit nervous. I'm not going there to argue or debate, just to quietly participate and see what it's like. If anyone asks then I will tell them I am an atheist, but I don't want to stand out like a sore thumb if I don't have to.

Any tips for blending in? Any clothes I should avoid wearing or things I should avoid saying? Any rituals or activities I should expect to participate in?

Id read up, online, what they believe in. Youre going to find a stark difference between the doctrines of the historic Christian Church and Mormonism ... even if they label Mormonism 'Christian' . If they get into their doctrines, youll see a huge difference in what they claim about Christ (spirit-brothers with Lucifer) , who God is (polytheism) , who God was (just a man like you and I) , endless sex on a planet once YOU become a god, opening of the Bible ALONG with other books that are equally or of greater importance than the Bible, and 3 levels of 'heaven' based on how good as a Mormon you were on earth. This is the belief of our Presidential Contender Mitt Romney as utterly strange as it may be. Its a shame they didnt listen to the real Christ and what HE had to say on important non-negotiable issues.

If youre approached, i would be honest and just say that youre there to investigate the Mormon Faith as you have an interest in Religion. You will find Mormons to be moral, friendly, inviting, hospitable, and likeable...only none of that really matters if you dont get saved in accordance to CHRISTS Gospel which is the ONLY way of getting sins forgiven and making it to the real Heaven.

Go on YouTube and watch a video on Mormonism...but one that ISNT put on by the Mormon Church . I think this is going to be an educational thing youre embarking on. Let us know how your visit turned out ok ???

Upvote 0