Feb 21, 2012
✟437,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Don't be misled by the title, I'm an atheist, god doesn't speak to me. I am, however, interested in the people that he does speak to. I'm always curious about what they mean when they say that and what god says to them. I'm curious about what people mean when they say they have a "personal relationship" with god...and what this relationship entails.

For some reason though (I won't speculate on what that reason is) people rarely seem to want to share information about their interaction with god. I'd like this thread to be about people's interactions with god...and I'd like it to be without judgement. No questioning whether or not someone is making something up...keep all questions respectful and friendly.

Here's what I'd like you to share...

1. The way that god communicates with you. Is it in a dream, voices, coincidences, thoughts, emotions, etc?

2. What god "said" or what it was that he communicated with you. If it's too personal (perhaps it was about a loss of some kind) just generalize the content of his message. Keep in mind though, I'd like it if you could be as specific and detailed as possible.

3. How did you know it was god? Did he introduce himself? Was it right after you prayed to him? How do you know?

Hopefully, this thread will enable people to share all kinds of things that they wouldn't normally share in a judgement-free environment. I'm looking forward to your replies.

Reactions: cloudyday2

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Your dishonest title speaks volumes.....

I don't see what's dishonest about it. It describes the position of those whom I'm hoping will post in the thread. It catches the eye and that's part of any good thread title.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
My church occasionally has prayer events that are specifically tooled to prophesy. Prophesy is not limited to predicting the future - it is speaking the mind of God, according to the will of God. A few things to keep in mind:
- My church is big. Big enough that there are lots of people who have never met.
- The prayer teams are going "blind" - they don't see who's waiting, the lights are low, there is no pre-registration, they don't see you until after you have entered the room and you have approached them. Hence, they don't have time to prepare for you specifically.
- I did know one person in that particular group, and he left before my turn began, so as to not skew the results. He would not have been able to convey anything of significance about me to the rest of the people there. Everyone else was a stranger.
- One of the first things that was said was something deeply personal to me and how I have related to God for most of my life. From a perfect stranger. Right on the nose. God spoke to my soul with familiarity, through a perfect stranger.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My church occasionally has prayer events that are specifically tooled to prophesy. Prophesy is not limited to predicting the future - it is speaking the mind of God, according to the will of God. A few things to keep in mind:
- My church is big. Big enough that there are lots of people who have never met.
- The prayer teams are going "blind" - they don't see who's waiting, the lights are low, there is no pre-registration, they don't see you until after you have entered the room and you have approached them. Hence, they don't have time to prepare for you specifically.
- I did know one person in that particular group, and he left before my turn began, so as to not skew the results. He would not have been able to convey anything of significance about me to the rest of the people there. Everyone else was a stranger.
- One of the first things that was said was something deeply personal to me and how I have related to God for most of my life. From a perfect stranger. Right on the nose. God spoke to my soul with familiarity, through a perfect stranger.

That's a great example of the sort of thing I was hoping people would share. Is there any chance of telling what it was that was said to you?

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,149.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That's a great example of the sort of thing I was hoping people would share. Is there any chance of telling what it was that was said to you?
No, not only is it personal, but I'm not sure I could do it justice. It's one of those things that hits you in the soul, so any explanation will lose something. It's not just the words, but the meaning. And I just can't give you the full context.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
No, not only is it personal, but I'm not sure I could do it justice. It's one of those things that hits you in the soul, so any explanation will lose something. It's not just the words, but the meaning. And I just can't give you the full context.

Well thanks for your response anyway!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Well this is disappointing...and somewhat informative...

This is the Exploring Christianity section where non-christians can go to discuss aspects of christianity that are difficult to understand. It's not a section for debate. As a non-christian, I've always had difficulty understanding how christians claim to have a "personal relationship" with god, or have spoken with god, or otherwise interacted with god on some level. I created this thread with the hopes that the christians who post here would lend some understanding of what it means to commune with god through their experiences. I figured since I'm posting this in a section where there is no debate, where I've already stated that I won't be judging or challenging anyone's experiences, that this thread would have at a minimum 10 pages of content in 4+ days it's been open.

Instead, not one of you wants to share your experiences...

I'm talking about your communication with the most powerful entity in existence. A being whom many christians refer to as the source of love, truth, life, wisdom, etc. In my mind, if I had communicated with such a being...even for one moment....this would be the most important knowledge that I could share with anyone. I'd literally tell everyone who would listen about my experiences with communicating with this being.

Apparently, I'm the only one who feels that way. It would appear that the christians on this forum don't think this information, these experiences, are worth sharing....not even with each other.

As I said at the beginning of this post, this thread has been informative...just not in the way that I had hoped it would be.

Upvote 0

orangeness365

Feb 4, 2013
✟6,329.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So I feel like God talks can speak to people in multiple ways, but I believe he talked to me once in a dream. There were a handful of dreams in my life where i thought that God was trying to tell me something, but it was usually just a sentence of scripture in a dream. There was one dream where I really thought God talked to me. It was sort of a dream/sleep paralysis. Before i had this dream I had read the parts in red in the Bible where Jesus spoke, and Psalms and Proverbs, and Revelation.

I spent a year beforehand calling myself an atheist, but praying the Lord's prayer and just the Lord's prayer every night, just in case I was wrong about Christianity. i didn't really know that much about it. I had gone to Sunday school for a couple of years when I was little, but aside from that, i pretty much never went to church. I was a Christian in name only. Right before I went to sleep, I was starting to hallucinate and see red eyes staring at me, because I was developing schizophrenia then, but didn't know that at the time. I then became convinced that the eyes I was seeing were demonic, and prayed for God to deliver me from demons. I then went to sleep/had sleep paralysis. In the dream, God picked me up entirely in one hand, and then I saw that I was being carried very quickly towards an ordinary looking rock in the ocean that I thought I would trip on, 1 Peter 2:8 and then shot directly towards annothher place once reaching the rock. I can't remember much about the journey, but I think it was symbolic of how you can only get into Heaven through Jesus Christ, John 14:6, then cornerstone Ephesians 2:20. Then the first thing I remember is standing in this place that was completely white, Revelation 20:11. I then hear something about being in the presence of God, and needing to bow, Romans 14:11 and how great an honor this was, I think. I couldn't see the speaker, I just know the voice came from that place. The first thing I remember was being excited and trying to remember all of the questions I would ask if I ever met God. Yes, I was actually arrogant enough to assume that someda that that would happen, evenn though there was never a good reason for thinking it other than I prayed for it all of the time growing up. I think the first thing I asked was when the second coming was, or the end, or something like that. I kept asking, and God kept refusing to tell me, until eventually he said, "You are not worthy," Mark 13:32. I then got really upset and started talking about my suffering asking why he only came now, after my life at school was in shambles. When I tried asking him about judging other people that I thought had hurt me He didn't answer. He then went on to point out that John the Baptist had suffered, and been beheaded for God. He said something about metal being refined by fire, and in my mind I saw an image of a sword being crafted using fire. 1 Peter 1:7. While I was bowing, I looked behind me and under my arms and saw figures sitting on thrones, and watching Revelation 11:16. I couldn't make them out very well because my vision was incredibly blurry in this dream, and everything was so bright. I had trouble counting, but when I woke up I tried estimating how many I had seen, and I guessed about 18. Near the end of the conversation I asked about being a prophet, because at the time I was delusional and thought I was one, or at least able to see the future even if not by God, and he said, "You are not sent." Jeremiah 23:21. When I asked about the Trinity, I was told something about the body of Christ being made up of many parts, Romans 12:5. During the experience, I was afraid of dying because my breathing became shallow, which apparently is common during dream paralysis, and God told me that I wasn't going to die right now, and that I needed to stop being so afraid to die. He also at some point told me, "You are not without sin." 1 John 1:10. I know that that is really obvious, but at the time I had an excuse for everything, and everything was always someone else's fault. He also told me to stop fighting with my mom. I said something about how she always started it, but He said to ask her for forgiveness and to just stop. During the dream I heard Him say something about how he is the potter and I am clay, Isaiah 64:8. During the dream I tried peeking at God the Father who I knew was right before me, but when I peeked all I saw was this enormous throne, but nobody sitting on it. At some point near the end, He asked me if I wanted to talk to his son. At that moment, I looked to my left and saw another, smaller throne, with another being sitting on it. I realized that this was Jesus sitting at the right hand of God Mark 16:19. He was shining in the brightest, white light in the shape of a man. I then was told I could stand up and walk over to Jesus, so I got up and walked over a little bit towards Jesus but not too close. I muttered some things about How are you to Him. I don't remember his response to that. I was nearly as critical of Jesus as I was of God, because at the time I felt like I didn't owe God anything, but that because Jesus died for us all, that I owed him. I then am ashamed to admit that I asked one of the dumbest questions ever, being half asleep. I asked, "What race are you?" I then heard something, but I didn't recognize the word or words. My memory is really fuzzy, but I think at the end I might have heard something about how it was not yet my time, and then it was over.

I believe it was God talking to me because most of what I saw and was told matches with scripture. If I was told things that were against the Bible, I probably would believe that it wasn't from God. Plus, the two messages that were about my life, asking my mother for forgiveness and not being a prophet, while now it sounds obvious that I should do that and wasn't a prophet, to my delusional mind, was unthinkable. I really was delusional about being a prophet, and I thought I was justified about hating my mom. That dream happened about 10 years ago, and it took that long for me to stop hating my mother.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
So I feel like God talks can speak to people in multiple ways, but I believe he talked to me once in a dream. There were a handful of dreams in my life where i thought that God was trying to tell me something, but it was usually just a sentence of scripture in a dream. There was one dream where I really thought God talked to me. It was sort of a dream/sleep paralysis. Before i had this dream I had read the parts in red in the Bible where Jesus spoke, and Psalms and Proverbs, and Revelation.

I spent a year beforehand calling myself an atheist, but praying the Lord's prayer and just the Lord's prayer every night, just in case I was wrong about Christianity. i didn't really know that much about it. I had gone to Sunday school for a couple of years when I was little, but aside from that, i pretty much never went to church. I was a Christian in name only. Right before I went to sleep, I was starting to hallucinate and see red eyes staring at me, because I was developing schizophrenia then, but didn't know that at the time. I then became convinced that the eyes I was seeing were demonic, and prayed for God to deliver me from demons. I then went to sleep/had sleep paralysis. In the dream, God picked me up entirely in one hand, and then I saw that I was being carried very quickly towards an ordinary looking rock in the ocean that I thought I would trip on, 1 Peter 2:8 and then shot directly towards annothher place once reaching the rock. I can't remember much about the journey, but I think it was symbolic of how you can only get into Heaven through Jesus Christ, John 14:6, then cornerstone Ephesians 2:20. Then the first thing I remember is standing in this place that was completely white, Revelation 20:11. I then hear something about being in the presence of God, and needing to bow, Romans 14:11 and how great an honor this was, I think. I couldn't see the speaker, I just know the voice came from that place. The first thing I remember was being excited and trying to remember all of the questions I would ask if I ever met God. Yes, I was actually arrogant enough to assume that someda that that would happen, evenn though there was never a good reason for thinking it other than I prayed for it all of the time growing up. I think the first thing I asked was when the second coming was, or the end, or something like that. I kept asking, and God kept refusing to tell me, until eventually he said, "You are not worthy," Mark 13:32. I then got really upset and started talking about my suffering asking why he only came now, after my life at school was in shambles. When I tried asking him about judging other people that I thought had hurt me He didn't answer. He then went on to point out that John the Baptist had suffered, and been beheaded for God. He said something about metal being refined by fire, and in my mind I saw an image of a sword being crafted using fire. 1 Peter 1:7. While I was bowing, I looked behind me and under my arms and saw figures sitting on thrones, and watching Revelation 11:16. I couldn't make them out very well because my vision was incredibly blurry in this dream, and everything was so bright. I had trouble counting, but when I woke up I tried estimating how many I had seen, and I guessed about 18. Near the end of the conversation I asked about being a prophet, because at the time I was delusional and thought I was one, or at least able to see the future even if not by God, and he said, "You are not sent." Jeremiah 23:21. When I asked about the Trinity, I was told something about the body of Christ being made up of many parts, Romans 12:5. During the experience, I was afraid of dying because my breathing became shallow, which apparently is common during dream paralysis, and God told me that I wasn't going to die right now, and that I needed to stop being so afraid to die. He also at some point told me, "You are not without sin." 1 John 1:10. I know that that is really obvious, but at the time I had an excuse for everything, and everything was always someone else's fault. He also told me to stop fighting with my mom. I said something about how she always started it, but He said to ask her for forgiveness and to just stop. During the dream I heard Him say something about how he is the potter and I am clay, Isaiah 64:8. During the dream I tried peeking at God the Father who I knew was right before me, but when I peeked all I saw was this enormous throne, but nobody sitting on it. At some point near the end, He asked me if I wanted to talk to his son. At that moment, I looked to my left and saw another, smaller throne, with another being sitting on it. I realized that this was Jesus sitting at the right hand of God Mark 16:19. He was shining in the brightest, white light in the shape of a man. I then was told I could stand up and walk over to Jesus, so I got up and walked over a little bit towards Jesus but not too close. I muttered some things about How are you to Him. I don't remember his response to that. I was nearly as critical of Jesus as I was of God, because at the time I felt like I didn't owe God anything, but that because Jesus died for us all, that I owed him. I then am ashamed to admit that I asked one of the dumbest questions ever, being half asleep. I asked, "What race are you?" I then heard something, but I didn't recognize the word or words. My memory is really fuzzy, but I think at the end I might have heard something about how it was not yet my time, and then it was over.

I believe it was God talking to me because most of what I saw and was told matches with scripture. If I was told things that were against the Bible, I probably would believe that it wasn't from God. Plus, the two messages that were about my life, asking my mother for forgiveness and not being a prophet, while now it sounds obvious that I should do that and wasn't a prophet, to my delusional mind, was unthinkable. I really was delusional about being a prophet, and I thought I was justified about hating my mom. That dream happened about 10 years ago, and it took that long for me to stop hating my mother.

Thank you orangeness! This is exactly the kind of post I was hoping for! You even included much of your personal background, which you didn't need to, but it lends a clearer picture of what the interaction meant to you.

Thank you so much for sharing!

Reactions: orangeness365
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Here's what I'd like you to share...

1. The way that god communicates with you. Is it in a dream, voices, coincidences, thoughts, emotions, etc?

2. What god "said" or what it was that he communicated with you. If it's too personal (perhaps it was about a loss of some kind) just generalize the content of his message. Keep in mind though, I'd like it if you could be as specific and detailed as possible.

3. How did you know it was god? Did he introduce himself? Was it right after you prayed to him? How do you know?

How does God communicate with me? Primarily through His word, the Bible.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 )
16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

God also communicates to me through His Creation.

Psalms 19:1 (NKJV)
1 ...The heavens declare the glory of God; And the firmament shows His handiwork.

Answered prayer is also another means by which God communicates with me.
Finally, God communicates with me via the illumination, conviction, strength and comfort of His Spirit.

What has God said to me? Well, you need only read the pages of the Bible to see.

How do I know God is speaking to me in the ways I've outlined? Well, because I believe the Bible is truly God's special revelation of Himself and His truth to humanity; because the nature of the universe clearly evidences the handiwork of a Creator; because the answers to my prayers have been to frequent, too specific, and often too remarkable to reasonably regard as coincidence; because I have no good reason not to trust the veridicality of my personal experience of God.

Selah.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
How does God communicate with me? Primarily through His word, the Bible.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 )
16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

God also communicates to me through His Creation.

Psalms 19:1 (NKJV)
1 ...The heavens declare the glory of God; And the firmament shows His handiwork.

Answered prayer is also another means by which God communicates with me.
Finally, God communicates with me via the illumination, conviction, strength and comfort of His Spirit.

What has God said to me? Well, you need only read the pages of the Bible to see.

How do I know God is speaking to me in the ways I've outlined? Well, because I believe the Bible is truly God's special revelation of Himself and His truth to humanity; because the nature of the universe clearly evidences the handiwork of a Creator; because the answers to my prayers have been to frequent, too specific, and often too remarkable to reasonably regard as coincidence; because I have no good reason not to trust the veridicality of my personal experience of God.

Selah.

Do you think that perhaps you could remember a prayer that was answered?

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Do you think that perhaps you could remember a prayer that was answered?

I remember many answers to prayer! Here's one that is not easy to dismiss as coincidence: I was fifteen and for the first time my Dad had invited me to go deer hunting with him. He wasn't a sport hunter but being a poor country preacher needed the venison to feed his family of eight. Anyway, I was very eager to go with him. The evening before we were to go on the hunt, my Dad gets a phone call from the man on whose land we'd be hunting. The man informs my Dad that provincial rules stipulate that both my Dad and I have to be dressed in red or neon orange coveralls. We had bright orange caps and vests but apparently that wasn't sufficient. Fortunately, my Dad had a pair of red coveralls, but there wasn't a second pair. I wasn't going to be able to hunt with my Dad the next morning. My Dad apologized for disappointing me but he hadn't had any idea coveralls were necessary. This was over thirty years ago in a rural community so there wasn't any just jumping into the car and going to WalMart to fix the problem. Every store was closed by 5:30 pm except the 7-11 (and they didn't sell coveralls). No one we knew had a set of red or orange coveralls, either. So, for me the hunt was a bust. I felt very put-out. So much so that my Dad finally approached me and asked me if I'd talked to God about the situation. The question surprised me. Why would I talk to God about a pair of coveralls? My Dad responded, "Why would you not?" So, I prayed and asked God to provide a pair of coveralls. It seemed a bit silly to me at the time to talk to God about something so mundane and ultimately unnecessary, but my Dad had assured me that my Heavenly Father wanted me to talk to Him about everything and delighted in doing good things for His children. Some time later I was reminded that I hadn't taken out the garbage. It was one of my daily chores, you see. I grabbed the garbage bags and made a dash for the back lane where our garbage cans stood. It was very cold and snowy. I hadn't put on a coat so my plan was to toss the bags in the can and run back to the house as quick as possible. But as I turned away from the cans to go back inside my eye caught sight of something embedded just a few feet from me in the frozen mud, ice and snow of the back lane. It was cold and dark outside and there was no good reason to stop to look at what it was, but I did anyway. I kicked at it with my boot and then began to tug on it. In short order I had pulled a dirty, frozen pair of ---- yes, that's right --- red coveralls from the muck of the back lane. They had been almost completely buried beneath mud and snow which meant they had been there for several days. I took the coveralls inside and showed my Dad. He was nearly as surprised and excited as I was! We thanked God for His provision, washed the coveralls, and went hunting together the next morning.

There have been countless times when I have lost track of keys or some other item and have searched everywhere for them fruitlessly until I stopped to ask God to show me where they were. Again, and again, and again as soon as I do this, in short order I find what I'm looking for.

When I had finished university and was looking for a job, I spent almost three years without regular employment. I would pick up an odd job here and there but despite sending out many hundreds of resumes and having many interviews, I could never land steady, full-time employment. Finally, the day came when I had no food in my cupboards or fridge and no money to pay rent. I was very desperate. I prayed and challenged God to provide for me as He had promised. I told Him I needed a job by the next day and if He was the God He said in His word that He was, He would provide a job for me before then. Within the following hour two job offers for which I had not applied were made to me by phone. And the course of events leading to the job offers was very odd. Somebody knew somebody who knew somebody who knew somebody who knew me. I took the second job, which ended up being one of the best jobs I've ever had.

My brother had just got a job but needed a car to get to it. It was too far to walk or bicycle and the transit system did not travel to his workplace or anywhere near it. So, trusting God had provided the job, my brother asked God for a vehicle with which to get to it. He needed it by the next morning. Believing if God knew his need no one else needed to know, My brother said nothing to anyone about it. The next morning my brother prepared to go to work. As he did, a stranger drove up to the house and dropped off a set of car keys. The man explained that God had told him to give his spare car to my brother. And then he left. Praising God, my brother drove off to work a few minutes later.

I remember early in my marriage coming to a serious point of conflict with my wife. We were at an impasse relationally and I knew if it didn't get sorted out, our marriage would suffer heavy damage. I had tried everything I knew to do to communicate well with my wife but the relational log-jam would not budge. So, I finally did what I should have done at the start and asked God to direct me in how to sort out the problem. Of course, I thought the solution would be that somehow God would change my wife, but instead God began to convict me about my own thinking and behaviour. Ooh, that was tough! I did not want to look at myself in the mirror my wife was holding up to me! I wasn't the problem; she was! But God was relentless in His answer to my prayer. The thought continued to replay in mind, "You want to see changes in your wife? Make the same changes in yourself first!" Protest and self-justification were my initial responses! I just couldn't admit that I was the person my wife was saying that I was. Man, I was angry! But God was working in me. He did what only He could do and in the midst of my angry self-justification and pride He began to soften my heart. It took about twenty minutes before I could just lay it all down before God and humbly and sincerely apologize to my wife for my angry behaviour and admit there were things I needed to change. As soon as I did, she burst into tears and began to apologize and admit she needed to change, too! The log-jam dissolved and we held each other and thanked God for being the Wonderful Counsellor to us His word says that He is.

I could write a book about how God has walked with me through my life. Maybe some day I will. The above anecdotes are just the first few that rose up in my mind.

Selah.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,190.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I remember many answers to prayer! Here's one that is not easy to dismiss as coincidence: I was fifteen and for the first time my Dad had invited me to go deer hunting with him. He wasn't a sport hunter but being a poor country preacher needed the venison to feed his family of eight. Anyway, I was very eager to go with him. The evening before we were to go on the hunt, my Dad gets a phone call from the man on whose land we'd be hunting. The man informs my Dad that provincial rules stipulate that both my Dad and I have to be dressed in red or neon orange coveralls. We had bright orange caps and vests but apparently that wasn't sufficient. Fortunately, my Dad had a pair of red coveralls, but there wasn't a second pair. I wasn't going to be able to hunt with my Dad the next morning. My Dad apologized for disappointing me but he hadn't had any idea coveralls were necessary. This was over thirty years ago in a rural community so there wasn't any just jumping into the car and going to WalMart to fix the problem. Every store was closed by 5:30 pm except the 7-11 (and they didn't sell coveralls). No one we knew had a set of red or orange coveralls, either. So, for me the hunt was a bust. I felt very put-out. So much so that my Dad finally approached me and asked me if I'd talked to God about the situation. The question surprised me. Why would I talk to God about a pair of coveralls? My Dad responded, "Why would you not?" So, I prayed and asked God to provide a pair of coveralls. It seemed a bit silly to me at the time to talk to God about something so mundane and ultimately unnecessary, but my Dad had assured me that my Heavenly Father wanted me to talk to Him about everything and delighted in doing good things for His children. Some time later I was reminded that I hadn't taken out the garbage. It was one of my daily chores, you see. I grabbed the garbage bags and made a dash for the back lane where our garbage cans stood. It was very cold and snowy. I hadn't put on a coat so my plan was to toss the bags in the can and run back to the house as quick as possible. But as I turned away from the cans to go back inside my eye caught sight of something embedded just a few feet from me in the frozen mud, ice and snow of the back lane. It was cold and dark outside and there was no good reason to stop to look at what it was, but I did anyway. I kicked at it with my boot and then began to tug on it. In short order I had pulled a dirty, frozen pair of ---- yes, that's right --- red coveralls from the muck of the back lane. They had been almost completely buried beneath mud and snow which meant they had been there for several days. I took the coveralls inside and showed my Dad. He was nearly as surprised and excited as I was! We thanked God for His provision, washed the coveralls, and went hunting together the next morning.

There have been countless times when I have lost track of keys or some other item and have searched everywhere for them fruitlessly until I stopped to ask God to show me where they were. Again, and again, and again as soon as I do this, in short order I find what I'm looking for.

When I had finished university and was looking for a job, I spent almost three years without regular employment. I would pick up an odd job here and there but despite sending out many hundreds of resumes and having many interviews, I could never land steady, full-time employment. Finally, the day came when I had no food in my cupboards or fridge and no money to pay rent. I was very desperate. I prayed and challenged God to provide for me as He had promised. I told Him I needed a job by the next day and if He was the God He said in His word that He was, He would provide a job for me before then. Within the following hour two job offers for which I had not applied were made to me by phone. And the course of events leading to the job offers was very odd. Somebody knew somebody who knew somebody who knew somebody who knew me. I took the second job, which ended up being one of the best jobs I've ever had.

My brother had just got a job but needed a car to get to it. It was too far to walk or bicycle and the transit system did not travel to his workplace or anywhere near it. So, trusting God had provided the job, my brother asked God for a vehicle with which to get to it. He needed it by the next morning. Believing if God knew his need no one else needed to know, My brother said nothing to anyone about it. The next morning my brother prepared to go to work. As he did, a stranger drove up to the house and dropped off a set of car keys. The man explained that God had told him to give his spare car to my brother. And then he left. Praising God, my brother drove off to work a few minutes later.

I remember early in my marriage coming to a serious point of conflict with my wife. We were at an impasse relationally and I knew if it didn't get sorted out, our marriage would suffer heavy damage. I had tried everything I knew to do to communicate well with my wife but the relational log-jam would not budge. So, I finally did what I should have done at the start and asked God to direct me in how to sort out the problem. Of course, I thought the solution would be that somehow God would change my wife, but instead God began to convict me about my own thinking and behaviour. Ooh, that was tough! I did not want to look at myself in the mirror my wife was holding up to me! I wasn't the problem; she was! But God was relentless in His answer to my prayer. The thought continued to replay in mind, "You want to see changes in your wife? Make the same changes in yourself first!" Protest and self-justification were my initial responses! I just couldn't admit that I was the person my wife was saying that I was. Man, I was angry! But God was working in me. He did what only He could do and in the midst of my angry self-justification and pride He began to soften my heart. It took about twenty minutes before I could just lay it all down before God and humbly and sincerely apologize to my wife for my angry behaviour and admit there were things I needed to change. As soon as I did, she burst into tears and began to apologize and admit she needed to change, too! The log-jam dissolved and we held each other and thanked God for being the Wonderful Counsellor to us His word says that He is.

I could write a book about how God has walked with me through my life. Maybe some day I will. The above anecdotes are just the first few that rose up in my mind.

Selah.

Thanks for the post!

Upvote 0