chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God Says Genesis Is Metaphor: An Exercise In Examing Our Beliefs

I am creating this thread as a means to allow all of us to explore our beliefs within the context of a strictly metaphorical account of Creation in Genesis. Think of it as an exercise in the suspention of belief (as opposed to SOD)

The premise is that God, through whatever means would personally satisfy you, has revealed that the Genesis account of Creation is in fact a metaphorical account, and that He had absolutely no intend of it ever being taken as fact, scientific or otherwise. You accept this revelation as Truth.

Based on that premise, answer the following questions:
1. How does this revelation effect your faith?
2. How does this revelation effect your view of the Bible? How does it effect the way you read the Bible?
3. How does this revelation effect the way that you view the natural world?
4. I'm open to responses to other questions. These are the three I've got on my mind at this moment.

Conditions:
1. This thread is open to everyone (how would I stop you anyhow?) I would love to hear from the non-Tes especially, but as some TEs hold to special creation, I welcome their input just as much.

2. If you do not understand the premise, then don't post. If you need clarification, then PM me and I'll do my best to answer any questions you might have. What I want to avoid is a ton of posts that say, "But Genesis is not metaphor, it is God's Word!" We've got other threads to cover that territory.

3. If you refuse to accept the premise on the basis of your faith, and you think that responding to this thread would somehow violate your faith, then by all means do not post. The point isn't to challenge anyone's faith.

4. Have fun.

vossler

Senior Veteran
Jul 20, 2004
Asheville NC
✟19,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
O.K. I'll play :D

1. If God gave me this revelation in the manner you suggest it would strengthen my faith because he clearly and emphatically spoke to me. How else should I react to something as wonderful as that?

2. Well for that one issue it would obviously have had a dramatic effect on how I read the Bible. For others it's not nearly as clear. It could possibly open my mind to other interpretations more, I don't really know, but seeing how God spoke so loudly on only one issue and didn't mention anything else might also lead me to believe I'm doing fine otherwise.

3. It probably would have little to no effect on how I view the natural world. I don't presently view it from a scientific mindset and I couldn't imagine that ever changing.

I hope that my answers were what you were looking for. :)

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
chaoschristian said:
The premise is that God, through whatever means would personally satisfy you, has revealed that the Genesis account of Creation is in fact a metaphorical account, and that He had absolutely no intend of it ever being taken as fact, scientific or otherwise. You accept this revelation as Truth.

Based on that premise, answer the following questions:
1. How does this revelation effect your faith?

This is rhetorical. You say in the premise that God communicates this to me satisfying me to the point where I accept it. That by definition is faith. You're asking how my faith in A might affect my faith in A. Doesn't make any sense.

If someone claiming to be God said Genesis was meant to be read metaphorically I would dismiss them after checking the explicit reading of the text. But I know that's not your question.

In essence you're asking how a change of mind would affect my opinion. :confused: I think you need to rephrase.

Upvote 0

SBG

Jan 28, 2005
✟8,655.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Republican
1. God speaks to us all the time. We often choose not to hear. Anyhow, hearing Him always strengthens my faith. It would be no different here.

2. It would change how I understand Genesis, but then I think I would be very confused about sin and death, unless He explained that to me as well. As far as the rest of the Bible, i don't think it would change much at all.

3. It wouldn't affect my view of the natural world at all. I don't look for the scientific concepts in nature, I look for God. He is there now, and He is there if He told me my understand is incorrect.

Upvote 0

Jadis40

Sep 19, 2004
Indiana, USA
✟47,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
While I believe that the universe and the earth were created by God, I don't subscribe to the belief of a strict literal 6-day 24-hour time frame. I also hold to a old-earth creation view point, since there is so much more substantiated evidence, at least in my mind, that harmonizes with science. I think science helps to reveal more about God's creative powers, as evidenced by the fact that astronomical photographs from the telescopes in space have revealed more distant galaxies.

I've read both sides of the old-earth/young-earth debates, but sometimes I think that the young-earth side is using bad science. Just my opinion of course.

I'm not sure that really answers the question, but it's just my thoughts.

Upvote 0

pastorkevin73

Jan 8, 2006
Canada
✟16,029.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
chaoschristian said:
Yes, and?

Please go back and re-read the OP. I refer you to condition #2. Either exploring your faith this way interests you or not.

1 Tim 1:3-4 says:

As I urged you when I was going to Macedonia, remain at Ephesus that you may charge certain persons not to teach any different doctrine, nor to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies, which promote speculations rather than the stewardship from God that is by faith.

In this passage Paul telling Timothy to correct people, in the Ephesian church, of their false teaching and to stay away from myths. Evolution is a myth and I realize that in a few threads continued in arguing about a myth, which is based on an idea and holds no scientific bases. I can only point to two references for the truth. First and ultimately Genesis chapter one. THis account must be accepted, there is no other "truth". The second reference is The Case for the Creator by Lee Strobel.

Upvote 0

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
pastorkevin73 said:
1 Tim 1:3-4 says:

In this passage Paul telling Timothy to correct people, in the Ephesian church, of their false teaching and to stay away from myths. Evolution is a myth and I realize that in a few threads continued in arguing about a myth, which is based on an idea and holds no scientific bases. I can only point to two references for the truth. First and ultimately Genesis chapter one. THis account must be accepted, there is no other "truth". The second reference is The Case for the Creator by Lee Strobel.
I honestly respect your position. But you obviously either did not read the conditions of this thread or you are intentionally choosing to ignore them. You are not contributing anything to the purpose of this thread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
ThaiDuykhang said:
God Says Genesis Is Metaphor?
What if God says he's a liar (or deceptive)?

Not only we have faith in the literal truth of Genesis, we also have confidence.
Again the purpose of this thread is to provide people with the opportunity to excercise some thought and reflect on their beliefs if life, the universe and everything wasn't exactly the way one thought it to be.

Either you are willing to do that, or you are not. If you are not, then there are other threads to post in.

Upvote 0

ThaiDuykhang

Jan 9, 2006
✟8,005.00
Faith
Christian
chaoschristian said:
Again the purpose of this thread is to provide people with the opportunity to excercise some thought and reflect on their beliefs if life, the universe and everything wasn't exactly the way one thought it to be.

Either you are willing to do that, or you are not. If you are not, then there are other threads to post in.

This kind of questions are blasphemous. as simple as that. nothing relate to excercising thought, only damaging faith.

Upvote 0

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
ThaiDuykhang said:
This kind of questions are blasphemous. as simple as that. nothing relate to excercising thought, only damaging faith.
As our faith is founded on God's gift of grace, how can any question that I or anyone else ask possibly damage it?

Upvote 0

ThaiDuykhang

Jan 9, 2006
✟8,005.00
Faith
Christian
chaoschristian said:
As our faith is founded on God's gift of grace, how can any question that I or anyone else ask possibly damage it?

These questions are temptations, and taking them seriously may result in damage.

I don't know if Protestants believe faith can be damaged, but for Catholics, if one rejects official teachings for example St. Peter is the first pope, his faith is damaged.

Upvote 0

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
ThaiDuykhang said:
These questions are temptations, and taking them seriously may result in damage.

I don't know if Protestants believe faith can be damaged, but for Catholics, if one rejects official teachings for example St. Peter is the first pope, his faith is damaged.
Please note this condition of the thread:

3. If you refuse to accept the premise on the basis of your faith, and you think that responding to this thread would somehow violate your faith, then by all means do not post. The point isn't to challenge anyone's faith.
As you can see, I attempted to anticipate and be sensitive to outlooks such as yours.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ThaiDuykhang

Jan 9, 2006
✟8,005.00
Faith
Christian
chaoschristian said:
Please note this condition of the thread:

As you can see, I attempted to anticipate and be sensitive to outlooks such as yours.

My post is a reminder for those who wish to reply to this thread.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.