For when I am weak, then I am strong.
May 10, 2011
Pennsylvania
✟62,542.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Nothing posted by The Onion is serious. Although sometimes it is funny. This is not one of those times.

That said, there is the issue of God not always answering our prayers in the way we want. I hate to be blunt, but... we don't get to decide how God uses His power. We need to trust that He knows what's best for us. Pain and suffering can make us better people. Pain and suffering can lead us to get saved.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Now that the story is proven to be fake, here is a serious question. Let's say this story was in fact real, and there was a child somewhere in the world who was confined to a wheelchair, and this poor child prayed to the Lord everyday with all his might, and the child asked God to grant him the power to walk again. Do you think God would be physically capable of granting such a wish? Is something like that even realistically possible? Can enough faith do the impossible?

God can do almost anything. And he answers prayer. What we cannot do is conclude that God "turned away" if that which was asked for does not come to pass. God has his own reasons.

Personally, I believe that God intervenes within the order of things that he has created, whether you call that 'nature' or whatever. Hence, a prayer for a new job is one thing but a prayer for the ends of a severed spinal cord to miraculously come back together again and function normally is something else. I hope that makes sense.

Upvote 0

amandatea

Legalist extraordinaire :s
May 9, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Visit site
✟8,835.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
But I mean... How though? How is it realistically possible to heal the blind and even being able to walk again after being in a wheelchair? I don't think even modern science is that advanced enough to do that, is it? If God does truly have that kind of power, then that is really amazing..

You really think GOD - The ALMIGHTY CREATOR of everything that exists isn't more powerful than modern science?

God created our bodies - why wouldn't he be able to heal our bodies if He sees fit?

Upvote 0

Trogool

Apr 3, 2012
✟3,694.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Green
Read this article.. It's years old, but still makes me very sad that God refused to answer this poor child's prayer despite how hard the boy fought and hoped God would come through. This makes me very sad that God turned away from him and refused to heal him. I don't know how I feel about this.

God Answers Prayers Of Paralyzed Little Boy | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Is this article some sort of hoax or a joke?..

Did you really not even notice where the article is hosted?

Upvote 0

Ark100

The Lord is my Refuge
Mar 11, 2012
✟10,421.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
God can do almost anything.

My God whom I serve and love. The CREATOR of Heaven and Earth. The Beginning and the End CAN DO ALL THINGS. NOTHING is impossible for Him. So you may want to rephrase your word if you serve the same God.

Its a different thing that God would choose not to for His own reasons but HE CAN do ALL things

Upvote 0

Trogool

Apr 3, 2012
✟3,694.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Green
My God whom I serve and love. The CREATOR of Heaven and Earth. The Beginning and the End CAN DO ALL THINGS. NOTHING is impossible for Him. So you may want to rephrase your word if you serve the same God.

Its a different thing that God would choose not to for His own reasons but HE CAN do ALL things

Pretty much. :)

Just like Avatar Aang! :p

avatar aang vs firelord ozai no music - YouTube

Upvote 0

Angelfrog

Rock, paper, JESUS! I win!
Oct 22, 2009
Sitting on a cloud in England.
✟9,863.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Leaving aside the silly article- I find it interesting that you seem to have put God and science in two separate, mutually exclusive compartments, xhayatox.

Who do you think invented the 'scientific' stuff? Who do you think created atoms and cells and the laws of physics and chemistry and so on?

Don't forget that miracles aren't miracles to God. Only to us. We can't manipulate matter to do whatever we want- so we say that it's impossible. Well, yes- to US it is. It isn't meant to be possible for us.

But to God, how is it impossible to simply speed up the normal process of something, or move nerve endings or make white blood cells fight an infection faster than it would have done with medicine, or simply remove invading viruses etc?

Imagine you've built a computer that only you understand the full depths of. You've designed it- you created the components- you know exactly how it should operate and what it needs to function at the level for which it was designed.

Then you let someone else use it. And something goes wrong- it breaks down or gets infected by a virus that no one can shift, or whatever. The person using it knows about computers- but this is beyond them. No one they know can work out how to fix it, so they say "It's impossible. Technology isn't advanced enough to be able to fix this. It'll have to be thrown away"

But then you come along and because you know exactly how it was designed- you have the ability to reprogramme any part of it- you simply tweak a few bits here and there and it functions again.
"It's a miracle!" the user says.

"No it isn't" you say "It was a case of the inventor knowing more about his creation that you can understand- and having the ability to do what I wants with it, because I knows every microchip, every electrical impulse and because I invented the stuff its made of- so I know how it works.

A couple of hundred years ago, we 'knew' that flight was impossible, that certain diseases couldn't be healed. Those things would have been impossible and 'miracles' because mankind didn't understand how things worked to make them happen- not because they were impossible.

Now I'm not suggesting that one day we'll all be able to do what God does and that it's simply a matter of making enough scientific discoveries until we 'catch up'. Of course not- God is God and always will be.

What I am saying is that God is the one who created all things- whether one believes He did it in seven literal days or over many years... whatever- the fact is He made the stuff from which other stuff was created. He designed us. He designed the natural laws by which the planet and all its' species function. It's hardly a surprise, really, is it that He can make a few little adjustments now and then.

The reasons why He changes things in some cases and not others are another matter- and He certainly knows the reasons better than anyone of us ever could. But the 'how'- really not that hard to get your head round.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Before I do that, answer me this:

Can God make a square circle?

Can God do something that's evil?

I'm waiting for your answers to the above before I decide on that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
He can do all the possible things, not the contradictory things

So you disagree with our friend's contention that
The CREATOR of Heaven and Earth. The Beginning and the End CAN DO ALL THINGS. NOTHING is impossible for Him.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well it depends how do you read it, does the impossible things are still things? aren't they just wordplays?

You might say that about the square circle example, but not about God doing something that's evil. That at least is theoretically
"do-able."

In any case, I think I've adequately shown that there's nothing remarkable or amiss with saying that God can do almost anything. Most people understand. Not every last person, but most of us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ark100

The Lord is my Refuge
Mar 11, 2012
✟10,421.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Before I do that, answer me this:

Can God make a square circle?

Can God do something that's evil?

I'm waiting for your answers to the above before I decide on that.

Yes God can make a square circle.
Yes God is capable of doing anything, whether evil or good. But He and only HE chooses not to do evil because its not in His nature.

Saying God CANT do something is like its impossible for him or He just cannot figure it out. He can do all things and knows all things, but chooses to not do whatever it is He chooses not to do.

Isaiah 45:7

"I am the Lord, and there is no other;
apart from me there is no God.

I form the light and create darkness,
I bring prosperity and create disaster;
I, the Lord, do all these things.

Upvote 0

laurent

Apr 2, 2012
✟15,166.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You might say that about the square circle example, but not about God doing something that's evil. That at least is theoretically
"do-able."

In any case, I think I've adequately shown that there's nothing remarkable or amiss with saying that God can do almost anything. Most people understand. Not every last person, but most of us.
no he cant do evil things because he is holy, it is his nature not a choice

Upvote 0

laurent

Apr 2, 2012
✟15,166.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes God can make a square circle.
Yes God is capable of doing anything, whether evil or good. But He and only HE chooses not to do evil because its not in His nature.

Saying God CANT do something is like its impossible for him or He just cannot figure it out. He can do all things and knows all things, but chooses to not do whatever it is He chooses not to do.

Isaiah 45:7

"I am the Lord, and there is no other;
apart from me there is no God.

I form the light and create darkness,
I bring prosperity and create disaster;
I, the Lord, do all these things.
No God dont choose to be good, he is good it is his nature
just read the wikipedia article, i quote you a passage:
The ability to 'sin', for example, is not a power but a defect or an infirmity. In response to questions of a deity performing impossibilities (such as making square circles) Aquinas says that "Nothing which implies contradiction falls under the omnipotence of God."

Upvote 0

Ark100

The Lord is my Refuge
Mar 11, 2012
✟10,421.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I didnt argue with you about God choosing to be good. I just quoted what God said in Isaiah. Nothing is impossible for Him to do.
He chooses not to do whatever He chooses not to do.
And my reply was to Albion. Seems you and I are on the same page here...

Im off for the night.

Upvote 0