GOD recommends HATE : (Luke 14:26)

Is our family, our "own" flesh, the only thing we should hate?

• It is enough only to hate the flesh.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thus WE ARE COMMANDED to hate our "own" flesh, what we might "naturally" love and affirm.
"Hating our own flesh" is a very very odd term in this text. It appears to not match the mood, spirit and prose of other gospel writings. Just sayin...seems suspicious to me.
On the other hand, our flesh is the temple of the Holy Spirit so why would we hate that? Also, if we should hate our flesh/self/life, then wouldn't it be a GOOD THING to poison and abuse ourselves?

well????
"Our own flesh" in this context means our RELATIVES, not ourselves. Any time someone takes words out of context, it always leads to error. Jesus is not meaning to actively do evil to those you are hating in this instance, but in another context he says "in comparison to your love for Me." So then, the statement is a hyperbole, which exaggerates the difference between love for God and love for family (or priority for each).

• Agree
Reactions: nChrist
Upvote 0

Douglas Hendrickson

Site Supporter
Sep 27, 2015
✟133,415.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
"Our own flesh" in this context means our RELATIVES, not ourselves. Any time someone takes words out of context, it always leads to error. Jesus is not meaning to actively do evil to those you are hating in this instance, but in another context he says "in comparison to your love for Me." So then, the statement is a hyperbole, which exaggerates the difference between love for God and love for family (or priority for each).
The expression "one's own flesh and blood" comes to mind.
I take some of this to mean God is not necessarily much in favor of big families, pursuing the flesh in that sense may be pretty much a form of idolatry.
WHY St. Paul seems to have recommended not being married, I guess.

Upvote 0

Shempster

ImJustMe
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2014
✟258,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I just had to assume Jesus did NOT mean your relatives. If it did mean "relatives" then it becomes a license to hate another person. Hate? Really?

Upvote 0

GeorgiaGuyinAtlanta

Mar 13, 2006
Atlanta, Georgia Metropolitan Area, U.S.A.
✟15,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This thread is a pretty good example of the way certain people attempt to misuse religion to justify their hatred and particular prejudices.

I recommend the OP have a long hard pray and have some repentance.

-CryptoLutheran

You're putting thoughts in his mind, it seems. You don't know his intent. Furthermore, the Bible does say to hate your family. Although I look at this as saying for a person to not put family above God, and that relatively speaking, your amount of love should be minimal compared to God, thus hate in respect. That said, it could be a straight-forward "hate". Literally speaking, that is what it means.

By the way, you're a liberal, which is an ungodly ideology. You don't have any business dictating to anyone.

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,285.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I just had to assume Jesus did NOT mean your relatives. If it did mean "relatives" then it becomes a license to hate another person. Hate? Really?
Read the words in the Luke 14:26, it's not made up. Go to the Bible to the reference yourself and read it straight from the scripture. Pay attention to the context, and elsewhere Jesus uses the term "hate." Notice that Jesus uses the word (as he does plenty of other words) in both the literal and the figurative sense, as well as other senses, depending on the context. In Luke 14:26 it is used in a relative sense, not an absolute sense. In John 15:18, it is used in the absolute sense. Be careful not to take scripture out of context. What you are suggesting is that Jesus' usage of the word hate in the relative sense justifies one to use it in the absolute sense (if indeed Jesus said to hate relatives). I know you mean well, but I'm just saying to pay close attention to the scripture. The language of the Bible is just as easily misunderstood as any spoken language.
TD:)

Upvote 0

Mark51

Site Supporter
Nov 11, 2014
✟89,056.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible also employs the word “hate” to mean loving to a lesser degree. (Deuteronomy 21:15, 16) In keeping with that understanding, the Bible says that Jacob “hated” Leah and loved Rachel, which meant that he did not love Leah as much as he loved her sister, Rachel. (Genesis 29:30-32) Even our own “soul,” or life, Jesus said, should be hated, or loved less, than Almighty God.

Obviously Jesus did not mean that his followers were to feel hostility or loathing toward their families and toward themselves, as this would not be in agreement with the rest of the Scriptures. Jesus here meant that his followers must love family members less than they love God. (Compare Matthew 6:24.) Dedication to God calls for whole-souled integrity in doing the divine will. No person or possession can be allowed to supersede one’s love of God. Compare Mark 12:29-31; Ephesians 5:28, 29, 33.

• Agree
Reactions: nChrist
Upvote 0

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the words "love" and "hate" both refer to our actions, not our feelings. Jesus uses the word "hate" in reference to our closest family members because they are the ones most likely to persuade us to do something contrary to God's will (Matthew 10:36-37). Sometimes we have to do something that a close relative might find very hurtful because we are putting God first. For example, I will not attend family functions on a Sunday that are held during church time.

Upvote 0

Uncle Tommy

Just a Christian
Dec 30, 2008
Probably sitting on my bed.
✟10,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From Matthew Henry Commentary:

(1.) They must be willing to quit that which was very dear, and therefore must come to him thoroughly weaned from all their creature-comforts, and dead to them, so as cheerfully to part with them rather than quit their interest in Christ, Luk_14:26. A man cannot be Christ's disciple but he must hate father, and mother, and his own life. He is not sincere, he will be constant and persevering, unless he love Christ better than any thing in this world, and be willing to part with that which he may and must leave, either as a sacrifice, when Christ may be glorified by our parting with it (so the martyrs, who loved not their lives to death), or as a temptation, when by our parting with it we are put into a better capacity of serving Christ. Thus Abraham parted with his own country, and Moses with Pharaoh's court. Mention is not made here of houses and lands; philosophy will teach a man to look upon these with contempt; but Christianity carries it higher. [1.] Every good man loves his relations; and yet, if he be a disciple of Christ, he must comparatively hate them, must love them less than Christ, as Leah is said to be hated when Rachel was better loved. Not that their persons must be in any degree hated, but our comfort and satisfaction in them must be lost and swallowed up in our love to Christ, as Levi's was, when he said to his father, I have not seen him, Deu_33:9. When our duty to our parents comes in competition with our evident duty to Christ, we must give Christ the preference. If we must either deny Christ or be banished from our families and relations (as many of the primitive Christians were), we must rather lose their society than his favour. [2.] Every man loves his own life, no man ever yet hated it; and we cannot be Christ's disciples if we do not love him better than our own lives, so as rather to have our lives embittered by cruel bondage, nay, and taken away by cruel deaths, than to dishonour Christ, or depart from any of his truths and ways. The experience of the pleasures of the spiritual life, and the believing hopes and prospects of eternal life, will make this hard saying easy. When tribulation and persecution arise because of the word, then chiefly the trial is, whether we love better, Christ or our relations and lives; yet even in the days of peace this matter is sometimes brought to the trial. Those that decline the service of Christ, and opportunities of converse with him, and are ashamed to confess him, for fear of disobliging a relation or friend, or losing a customer, give cause to suspect that they love him better than Christ.

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God (Jesus the Christ) not only recommends hate, he requires it.

"If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple."
Luke 14:26

Thus WE ARE COMMANDED to hate our "own" flesh, what we might "naturally" love and affirm.

This is called a comparative, a comparison between our love for God and our love for others. Self and relatives were used to make the comparison more clear. So, Luke 14:26 is not in contradiction to:

Matthew 22:36-40 KJV Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Reactions: Uncle Tommy
Upvote 0