Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I am watching an episode of "Through the Wormhole" in which the idea is explored that we are characters in a virtual reality created by humans in our future. It ran through my head how comforting it would be to know that someone was watching me, how it would make my life matter.

Then it occurred to me, isn't that what God does? Are we not beings in His created reality that He watches over. Now there's a comforting thought.

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I've never thought of the idea of God "at a distance" was good theology, except when growing up. I understand that this image makes sense for many, certainly for Jews, for Muslims and for Calvinists. And yes, I understand that many Catholics feel that God is "at a distance". While I also feel that the Baptist go too far with "what a friend I have in Jesus", I think that this view is closer to what God wants for us.

Jesus tore the curtain that separated God from us. That is a powerful, powerful image, at least for me.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I've always liked that Bette Midler song. It's one of only two Bette Midler songs I can stand. :) It's weird how someone can have a whole career of singing stuff I find unlistenable and then have two really great songs. Kenny Loggins is basically the same way for me. Ditto Paul Anka. Give or take a song or two in each case. But some outstanding stuff and then a bunch of things I don't think I could even be in a room listening to play in the background. :)

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟837,898.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I've always liked that Bette Midler song. It's one of only two Bette Midler songs I can stand. :) It's weird how someone can have a whole career of singing stuff I find unlistenable and then have two really great songs. Kenny Loggins is basically the same way for me. Ditto Paul Anka. Give or take a song or two in each case. But some outstanding stuff and then a bunch of things I don't think I could even be in a room listening to play in the background. :)
I love the song, but not the theology. What is your other Bette Midler song that you like?

Upvote 0