Georgia
✟899,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/10/28/pope-francis-evolution-big-bang/18053509/

Pope Francis: "God is not a divine being or a magician, but the Creator who brought everything to life," the pope said. "Evolution in nature is not inconsistent with the notion of creation, because evolution requires the creation of beings that evolve."

=====================================

Question - are there Catholics here who are on board with that? How is it that the Creator - is not a "Divine Being"??

Or is this statement about the idea that "Creator" who creates via the same evolution that atheists promote as the way that all things have come about without God - is not a "Divine Being"?

in Christ,

Bob

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hmm. Perhap
Source: http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2014/10/28/pope-francis-evolution-big-bang/18053509/

Pope Francis: "God is not a divine being or a magician, but the Creator who brought everything to life," the pope said. "Evolution in nature is not inconsistent with the notion of creation, because evolution requires the creation of beings that evolve."

=====================================

Question - are there Catholics here who are on board with that? How is it that the Creator - is not a "Divine Being"??

Or is this statement about the idea that "Creator" who creates via the same evolution that atheists promote as the way that all things have come about without God - is not a "Divine Being"?

in Christ,

Bob
I'm not a Catholic but perhaps the Pope was unaware of what he was saying by using that term "Divine Being" ? If he meant it as I would mean the term and as I think you would too then he is way off base. I'm inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one unless he follows up with something similar in the future.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hmm. Perhap

I'm not a catholic but perhaps the Pope was unaware of what he was saying by using that term "Divine Being" ?

That is an intriguing suggestion. Loads of implications if it is true.

Upvote 0

Dialogist

Jul 22, 2015
✟8,545.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
He actually doesn't say that on the clip that the article contained. I think it would be helpful to hear what word he used in Italian, or whatever language he was speaking.

I think all we can say is that the press translated something that the Pope said in another language as "God is not a divine being." That doesn't mean that their translation is accurate.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Well, being a 'being' implies that you were brought to life, and God was the one who brought everything to life. Try to follow what he's saying.

You post as if this "God is not a Divine Being" statement is something you are used to hearing and affirming.

Is that really true??

Upvote 0

CalmRon

Aug 20, 2009
Western New York
✟8,747.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, being a 'being' implies that you were brought to life, and God was the one who brought everything to life. Try to follow what he's saying.
Being implies existence whether created or not. In essence a rock could be a being because it is, so can God because he is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You post as if this "God is not a Divine Being" statement is something you are used to hearing and affirming.

Is that really true??
God is divine. I don't know that he's a being. To me, a being is something created. God is not created.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
here is what the pope said

"E così la creazione è andata avanti per secoli e secoli, millenni e millenni finché è diventata quella che conosciamo oggi, proprio perché Dio non è un demiurgo o un mago, ma il Creatore che dà l’essere a tutti gli enti."

the word that is translated as "divine being" is "demiurgo"

the concept of Demiurge can be seen in Platonic philosophy and Gnosticism
it can have various meanings depending on the context, it can mean a lesser creator
I think just translating it as just simply "Divine Being" is slightly irresponsible
but then, it is an odd word, maybe they should have just stuck with Demiurge

Upvote 0

tz620q

Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟567,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

"E così la creazione è andata avanti per secoli e secoli, millenni e millenni finché è diventata quella che conosciamo oggi, proprio perché Dio non è un demiurgo o un mago, ma il Creatore che dà l’essere a tutti gli enti."

the concept of Demiurge can be seen in Platonic philosophy and Gnosticism
it can have various meanings depending on the context, it can mean a lesser creator
I think just translating it as just simply "Divine Being" is slightly irresponsible
but then, it is an odd word, maybe they should have just stuck with Demiurge
Most news accounts realized that it was a bad translation and amended their online articles to translate it as "demiurge". In fact the USA Today article is pulled from an article by Josephine McKenna in Religious News Services. The Religious News Services article was amended; but somehow USA Today online did not get the memo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
God is divine. I don't know that he's a being. To me, a being is something created. God is not created.

So then in your thinking God is not a "Divine Being" because that would make Him created. In your view does the Pope bring out that point "God is not a Divine being because then He would have to have been created?" - did you read that in his statement or does he have some other statement to that effect?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

That is a reasonable explanation - demiurge. Certainly it fits with
"magician"

And so then

"God is not a divine being or a magician, but the Creator who brought everything to life,"

Where it "appears" that the Creator does much more than the "demiurge and magician" because the Creator "Speaks and it is so". He speaks life into existence, He speaks the world and all life on it into existence in a mere 6 days.

Oh no wait!

No that is not it at all

the pope said. "Evolution in nature is not inconsistent with the notion of creation

Ok -- now do evolutionists claim that "something above a demiurge" is needed to make evolutionism work? Is that the point he is trying to make?

Last edited:
Reactions: Berean777
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
God is not a magician
God is not a god like false gods of the Greek Pantheon, with Zeus turning into a bull to seduce a princess and Poseidon getting drunk or Hades getting tricked by Sisyphus

God is transcendent
God created all that is visible and invisible
and that is SO much more then we can even come close to understanding

were his comments kind of confusing? yeah
maybe Demiurge is slightly more common in Italian? I dunno, I do not speak Italian

how about you try reading things in context and then add a bit of charity

Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0