Indiana
✟29,804.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was in a Christian book store today and I saw this bumper sticker which stated "God Doesn't Believe In Atheists". I found this extremely puzzling and so I looked up the Scripture to support it.

Romans 1 said:
18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, 21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.

Honestly, I don't see how this verse indicated the premise of the bumper sticker. It makes me curious for the opinion of non-Christian's and Christian's alike. What are your thoughts on this idea that "God Doesn't Believe in Atheists"?

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
True.

Does God not believe in Atheists?

Maybe a different version will help.

19since what may be known about God is plain to them,(Them meaning everyone) because God has made it plain to them. 20For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

This says Men are without excuse of knowledge of God because God has built this knowledge into man.

"Atheism" is a refusal to acknowledge the knowledge God has built all men with.

So it is accurate to say that God does not believe in Atheists Because He build everyone with enough knowledge to seek Him out.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I like that language, "He will not accept the atheist's logic." (or excuse)

After much extended contact with atheists, I have yet to find a single instance where their atheism is anything other than an excuse to avoid G-d's sovereignty. Or rather I should say to try to, as we know it doesn't work anyway.

It simply amazes me how many are willing to see this plainly, agree with it, and even accept the possibility they'll be found to be fighting against the Lord and still see no reason to change. The great dilemma of the final "Day of the Lord" will be to Judge no one unjustly, so I see the society we're living in as preparing itself for that ...

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I was in a Christian book store today and I saw this bumper sticker which stated "God Doesn't Believe In Atheists". I found this extremely puzzling and so I looked up the Scripture to support it.

Honestly, I don't see how this verse indicated the premise of the bumper sticker. It makes me curious for the opinion of non-Christian's and Christian's alike. What are your thoughts on this idea that "God Doesn't Believe in Atheists"?

It is complete nonsense. That bumper sticker quote is an example of projection. Some Christians don't like atheists, because they feel their own faith to be threatened by any alternative opinion, and so they defend themselves by attributing their own unease and dislike onto God.

God loves all people equally, whatever their beliefs, whoever they are, and whatever they have done. And he does, indeed, believe in atheists.

:wave:

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
So it is accurate to say that God does not believe in Atheists Because He build everyone with enough knowledge to seek Him out.

Works theology. :cool:

We do not seek God, he calls us.

Therefore, atheists are fine; God just hasn't got around to them yet.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
In essence God has made himself known through the miracle of creation even if some people (atheist) repress and deny the truth. Therefore since God has done his part in making himself known he will not accept the atheist logic of "I do not know God exists".

Again, works theology.

None of us effects our own salvation through thought or choice. Salvation is always by Grace, and Grace is always by the agency of God.

God will indeed accept atheist logic, since it is by his choice that his call to them has not yet been heard sufficiently for them to respond.

Any alternative point of view must logically conclude that man can effect his own salvation. Feel free to go down that road if you want to, but be aware that it leads away from the gospel we have been given if you do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
And I found this list:

Hell, California, U.S
Hell, Michigan, U.S.
Hell, Grand Cayman, the Cayman Islands
Hell, Norway, a village in Stjørdal
Hell Station, a railway station at Hell, Norway
Hell Creek, a place in Montana notable for Cretaceous dinosaur fossils

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fm107

Psalm 19:1-4 and Romans 1:20
May 12, 2009
London, UK
✟61,600.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Acts 17:27
God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

So you want to believe that if God "called" an atheist that, that Atheist despite his own will, would follow God. So if one dies an atheist that it is more or less God's fault for not calling..

Then what would be the point of "free will?" what would be the point of this life?

May I suggest "The call" has already been placed. and it is up to us to simply pick up the phone. My original statement says that God makes that call in all of us, and despite who we believe is calling, the phone in indeed ringing. And no one can say that "God didn't call me."

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is a certain circle of musicians that are BIG on the "God didn't call me" angle.

Prov 29:13 The poor and the deceitful man meet together: the LORD lighteneth both their eyes."

John 1:9 [That] was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Acts 17:27
God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us.

Nice try at works theology. However, your underscore is distorting the message. Try this:

Salvation by Grace. Seeking by Grace, not grace by seeking.

QED. :cool:

Upvote 0