U.S.
✟40,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I guess I have 2 questions. Does God put people in our lives for a reason? Also, does God pick our spouse

I believe God sometimes does place certain people across our paths as his way of conforming us to be the image of Christ, teaching us to love even our enemies so that we can be a vessels of compassion.

Matthew 5:44-47 NKJV
"But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, 45. "that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. 46. "For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? 47. "And if you greet your brethren only, what do you do more than others? Do not even the tax collectors do so?

I think God brings these people into one's life for his spiritual benefit and growth. By obeying God to love one's enemies, both he and his enemies benefit. His enemies; seeing Christ-like love, may be drawn closer to accepting salvation.

As far as our spouses go; I believe that if a Christian trusts God to bring him or her a spouse, both in the marriage receive a perfect gift. If he or she chooses their own spouse, God still will bless the marriage - and mold it into a perfect gift.

Upvote 0

andreha

Senior Contributor
Supporter
Feb 13, 2009
Gauteng
✟130,569.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I guess I have 2 questions. Does God put people in our lives for a reason? Also, does God pick our spouse

The good Lord does indeed put people in our lives for a reason. Sometimes it is for us to be a blessing to someone else, and sometimes vice versa.

As for your second question, He can indeed - you just need to ask. I remember asking Him to give me a spouse, which He did. I've been married for just over 10 years now. The key is asking. If you desire to have strong faith, pray about it. If you really want something, ask the Lord. :amen:

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Yes, but sometimes that reason just maybe happenstance.
-and-
No, you pick your spouse. sometimes He might make a suggestion, but more often times than not, "the heart wants what it wants."

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I believe God does sometimes put people in our lives for a reason and I think I have experienced this. I also believe I experienced God pushing me toward the woman I have been married to for fourty seven years.

Upvote 0

sh284

Sep 13, 2007
✟7,875.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Yes, but sometimes that reason just maybe happenstance.
-and-
No, you pick your spouse. sometimes He might make a suggestion, but more often times than not, "the heart wants what it wants."

Yes, but the bible says the heart is above all things deceptive. How do you know if you've made the right choice? Isn't it possible that God has someone in mind for us to marry?

Upvote 0

elman

elman
Dec 19, 2003
Texas
✟39,197.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but the bible says the heart is above all things deceptive. How do you know if you've made the right choice? Isn't it possible that God has someone in mind for us to marry?
When I met my wife it was on a blind date and I was not her date and at the time I was carring her name and phone number in my pocket from an entirly different source that recommended I meet her. When I returned from the blind date, I immediately knew she was my soul mate and began trying to date her although she was the roommate of the girl I had the date with on the blind date.

Upvote 0