Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟18,723.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Why would that be funny?
It just shows that the congress really doesn't trust itself or the president more than it does the people.

But, what makes something like that funny?

I don't know, the whole time I though the public option looked more like negotiating point that a viable policy... so, I don't know why I find it amusing. Maybe, because I've met people who were sure of it as the solution.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
fated said:
Palin and the GOP appear to have won the "Death Panel" debate. Heh, that's pretty funny.

The GOP can't win on something that doesn't exist.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
'Death panel' is the tactical rhetoric used against the IMAC section of the bill.

"Tactical rhetoric"? Is that an admission that Obama's health care bill will not require people to appear before so-called "death panels"?
Ringo

Upvote 0

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟18,723.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"Tactical rhetoric"? Is that an admission that Obama's health care bill will not require people to appear before so-called "death panels"?
Ringo
Of course 'Death panel' is not in the bill, but there was a section for him to appoint 5 people to a panel that would decide what would be covered under Medicare. Which is a lot of power over the system. That's were the spin came from.

Upvote 0

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟18,723.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Ahhh! Isn't "tactical rhetoric" another name for the logical fallacy "Prejudicial Language"? :confused:
tulc(just wondering) :wave:
Usually its called 'fear mongering' or 'fear tactics.' I generally refer to it as rhetoric, which is different than logic or something definitive. It is a possibility and an exaggeration of the bill as is.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Of course 'Death panel' is not in the bill, but there was a section for him to appoint 5 people to a panel that would decide what would be covered under Medicare. Which is a lot of power over the system. That's were the spin came from.

Usually its called 'fear mongering' or 'fear tactics.' I generally refer to it as rhetoric, which is different than logic or something definitive. It is a possibility and an exaggeration of the bill as is.

So it is spin and fearmongering, as we had always suspected.

Are those opposed to this bill so unable to fight against it that they have to fall back on fearmongering rhetoric?
Ringo

Upvote 0

Grizzly

Enemy of Christmas
Supporter
Jul 6, 2002
Tallahassee
✟46,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
'Death panel' is the tactical rhetoric used against the IMAC section of the bill.

It seems you are happy with the effectiveness of this tactical rhetoric. I was hoping for a more intelligent national debate on the actual merits in the bill instead of having to argue that Obama doesn't want to kill your grandma or Sarah Palin's son. Sigh.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It seems you are happy with the effectiveness of this tactical rhetoric. I was hoping for a more intelligent national debate on the actual merits in the bill instead of having to argue that Obama doesn't want to kill your grandma or Sarah Palin's son. Sigh.

Me too.
Ringo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HerbieHeadley

North American Energy Independence Now!
Dec 23, 2007
✟15,282.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
But rationing HealthCare will always be about killing Grandma.
We all know this as a fact. What we do not want, is Guberment deciding who is worthy.:)

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But rationing HealthCare will always be about killing Grandma.
...the same Grandma it's ok for the insurance companies to decide to kill? :confused:

We all know this as a fact.
There's that "My opinion/fear IS a fact!" error. :wave:

What we do not want, is Guberment deciding who is worthy.:)
So....it SHOULD be left to the insurance companies? Got it! :thumbsup:
tulc(because it would be a drag to have someone who wasn't going to make some money on the decision making it) :sorry:

Upvote 0

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟18,723.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

So it is spin and fearmongering, as we had always suspected.

Are those opposed to this bill so unable to fight against it that they have to fall back on fearmongering rhetoric?
Ringo

The president does no need immediate custody of Medicare. It hardly seems fair, and using the congress to determine Medicare seems more responsive to public demands, but less so than the regional divisions we have now.

As far as the fear mongering goes, how else do you make the news? Obama is ringing the alarm for health care reform, which is itself a fear tactic, as if he is the only one who can possibly solve the problem, even though some states have done so themselves.

Reactions: HerbieHeadley
Upvote 0

HerbieHeadley

Dec 23, 2007
✟15,282.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
the same Grandma it's ok for the insurance companies to decide to kill? :confused:
You seem to make the mistake of Guberment running your HealthCare and you as an individual being able to seek what is out there.

Once Guberment has a lot on your S.S. your Medicare, your IRS statements, etc... then they have you at thier disposal.

Private Heath Insurance supplements are only controlled by the contract that you signed.

Not one person in the Private Insurance can decide anything but what is covered.

There's that "My opinion/fear IS a fact!" error. :wave:
Your fear is factually biased.

So....it SHOULD be left to the insurance companies? Got it! :thumbsup:
I am not sure what you have.
But I sure hope it is covered under ObamaCare.

tulc(because it would be a drag to have someone who wasn't going to make some money on the decision making it) :sorry:
:doh::sorry::confused::wave:

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The president does no need immediate custody of Medicare. It hardly seems fair, and using the congress to determine Medicare seems more responsive to public demands, but less so than the regional divisions we have now.

Let's remember that this wasn't the original thread topic.

As far as the fear mongering goes, how else do you make the news?

You formulate good arguments against Obama's health care instead of trying to scare people into agreeing with you.

Only people with no good arguments use fear to promote their ideas.

Obama is ringing the alarm for health care reform, which is itself a fear tactic,

It's not a fear tactic. We need health reform.

If we're not going to discuss Sarah Palin, we should take it to another thread.
Ringo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fated

The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟18,723.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

You formulate good arguments against Obama's health care instead of trying to scare people into agreeing with you.

Ringo
It is so a fear tactic. The Dems are "we're going to go bankrupt!!!!"

Is it really so difficult to see that this occurs continuously on both sides, and it is done to get headlines, and that if you don't do it you get drenched by the opposing side?

Of course you are a Dem, so I don't know if you really think its not on both sides, or you might just not care if the Dems do it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HerbieHeadley

Dec 23, 2007
✟15,282.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Right. Palin loves God.

You mean like Obama?

Like the "we need to pass my Obamacare before August" Chant?
We should start with Toret reform, Health Insurance saving plans, Higher deductables and more consumer choice.
We have clinics now that have doctors miles away making diagnostics with the help of a nurse via camera/computer connection. There is no reason this could not be expanded to help inform the public of the basic HealthCare needs.
We are living in the age of technology that could, if properly utilized, curtail the need for the need to visit the Doctor and just get to the remedy.
We should all be more concentrated in catastrophic insurance and not the typical cold visit costing over $300.00 per person.
There is no such thing as Health "insurance" only health care.
Who pays and at what cost is the question.

The fact that Palin wasn't ready for "prime time" was merely reinforced by McCain's own campaign staff that wouldn't allow her to conduct press conferences.
Her isolated attempts to go "one-on-one" with the media were disasters.
An EVUL media conspiracy didn't make her say Africa was a country, or that she had foreign affairs experience because Alaska is close to Russia.
Obama voters, tell us all how it feels to be like the woman you joined in political rape over?

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is so a fear tactic. The Dems are "[wash my mouth][wash my mouth][wash my mouth] we're going to go bankrupt!!!!"

No it's not. Our health care system needs an overhaul, and Obama isn't stoking fear by calling attention to that fact.

Is it really so difficult to see that this occurs continuously on both sides, and it is done to get headlines, and that if you don't do it you get drenched by the opposing side?

Perhaps so. Still, if Republicans use fear to their advantage, they are no better than Democrats who do the same. Both parties should rely on good arguments to advance their agenda - not fearmongering.
Ringo

Upvote 0

RealDealNeverstop

Is Prayer Your First or Last Action?
Sep 15, 2007
✟36,318.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Rhetoric is settled language used in phrases throughout discursive practices. Calling that "death panel" deception "rhetoric" is like saying going to the dentist simply means reclining in a relaxing chair and getting some shut eye.

Upvote 0

HerbieHeadley

Dec 23, 2007
✟15,282.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
No it's not. Our health care system needs an overhaul, and Obama isn't stoking fear by calling attention to that fact.
Ringo
Yet, Dr. BO's cure is to let Guberment control your HealthCare/?

Upvote 0