Go! ACLU Go!

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
Mississippi school district sued over same-sex prom date ban

The American Civil Liberties Union of Mississippi today filed suit in federal court against the Itawamba County School System, which canceled the prom for one of its high schools when a student challenged a ban on bringing same-sex dates.

The federal suit asks the court to force the school board to reinstate the prom and alleges district officials have violated the First Amendment rights of Constance McMillen, a senior at Itawamba Agricultural High School.

"It's shameful and cowardly of the school district to have canceled the prom and to try to blame Constance, who's only standing up for herself," said Christine Sun, an attorney with the ACLU national LGBT Project. "We will fight tooth and nail for the prom to be reinstated for all students."

The school board met Wednesday and announced it was canceling the prom after McMillen challenged the same-sex date ban. The Mississippi ACLU, which is assisting McMillen, gave the district until Wednesday to change its policy.

source

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
This is dumb. Plenty of schools don't host proms period. The girl wanted equal treatment, and she received it; both her and straight students will not attend a prom.

But the school, and extension of the government, did it in such a way which will cause harm, possibly even physical violence, to a minor. I be interesting to see how this turns out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CaptainNemo1138

Aug 15, 2008
✟1,140.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It is a point of contention for some AMERICANS. :doh:

035254d467b54e1a80d3facf9a7d7d482364d51.jpg

"We must protect the sanctity of our bodily fluids from the scourge of godless communism!"

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I just read where this lesbian teen is trying to force the school district to have the prom after all. This whole thing is stupid! If I were a teen there-I would invite people over to my house and have my own prom party. If the teen can't respect school policy, then she needs to be suspended and I wouldn't let the ACLU bully me either!! Get the ADF and the ACLJ -to fight the ACLU fascists.

That teen just made enemies.

Upvote 0

CaptainNemo1138

Aug 15, 2008
✟1,140.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I care if the ACLU is founded by a communist. That tells me where their roots are at-marxism. The ACLU - antichristian lawyers union. I only agree with them 10% of the time.

ACLU of Tennessee Defends Christian Students' Right to Preach in Public Park

ACLU of Virginia Defends Christian Students' Right to Protest Against ACLU at Public School

ACLU Defends Christian Students Wearing Anti-Islam Shirts to Florida Public School

ACLU Fights For Christian Inmate's Right to Preach

ACLU of Northern California Fights Law that Got Quakers Fired Over Loyalty Oath

ACLU Defends Christian Librarian Disciplined for Refusing to Promote Harry Potter

ACLU Defends Right of Individual Christian to Display Nativity Scene on Public Property

ACLU Defends Christians Protesting Gay Rights in Florida

ACLU Champions Religious Freedom Of Mormon College Student

ACLU Fights for Christian Church's Mission to Feed the Poor

ACLU Fights for Christmas Tree

ACLU Files Suit to Protect Free Speech Rights of Christian Protesting Wal-Mart's Policy on Gays

ACLU of Georgia and Baptist Church File Religious Discrimination Lawsuit

ACLU of Rhode Island Files Appeal on Behalf of Christian Prisoner Barred from Preaching at Religious Services

ACLU of Michigan Defends Catholic Man Coerced to Convert to Pentecostal Faith in Drug Rehab Program

ACLU of New Jersey Joins Lawsuit Supporting Second-Grader's Right to Sing "Awesome God" at Talent Show

After ACLU Intervention on Behalf of Christian Valedictorian, Michigan High School Agrees to Stop Censoring Religious Yearbook Entries

ACLU Helps Free New Mexico Street Preacher From Prison

ACLU of WA Wins Right of Christian Minister to Preach in Spokane Plaza

ACLU Fights for Baptist Preacher in Illinois

ACLU Defends Rights of Christian Group to Make Religious Protest at Funerals

ACLU Backs Christian Abortion Protester in Ohio

ACLU of Oregon Defends Religious Liberty Of Adventist School Boys Basketball Players

ACLU Backs Missouri Nurse Penalized for Wearing Cross-Shaped Lapel Pin

ACLU Defends Christian Street Preacher in Las Vegas

ACLU Argues for Legal Recognition of Small Christian Church

ACLU of MA Defends Students Punished for Distributing Candy Canes with Religious Messages

ACLU of Nebraska Defends Church Facing Eviction by the City of Lincoln

ACLU Defends Church's Right to Run "Anti-Santa" Ads in Boston Subways

ACLU Defends Inmate's Access to Material from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints

Following Threat of ACLU of Virginia Lawsuit, Officials to Agree Not to Ban Baptisms in Public Parks

ACLU Defends Families Fighting Removal Of Religious Symbols from Florida Cemetery

ACLU Supports Right of Iowa Students to Distribute Christian Literature at School

ACLU Argument In Support of the Display of a Christian Cross in a Public Forum

ACLU Defends Christian Worker Required to Remove Bible from Desk at Government Job

ACLU Defends Free Speech Rights of Christians And Others On Main Street Plaza

ACLU Defends Prisoner's Rosary Beads

ACLU Defends Christian Group's Anti-Abortion Ads On Phoenix Buses

ACLU Pledges to Back Church in a Zoning Battle

ACLU of PA Files Discrimination Lawsuit Over Denial of Zoning Permit for African American Baptist Church

ACLU Offers To Represent Private Prayer on Public Property and

ACLU Joins Falwell To Fight For Church Incorporation Rights

Sure is Anti-Christian in here, amirite?

The ACLU Fights for Christians

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
E

explodingboy

It is a point of contention for some AMERICANS. :doh:

and it's about time they get over their fear of the boogeyman.

I care if the ACLU is founded by a communist. That tells me where their roots are at-marxism. The ACLU - antichristian lawyers union. I only agree with them 10% of the time.

why? what difference does the founder make to how the organization functions, almost 90years on, (according to wikipedia, couldn't find the date on their official site.)

Upvote 0

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
The ACLU was founded by a COMMUNIST.

If you're talking about Roger Nash Baldwin, consider this,
"In St. Louis, Baldwin had been greatly influenced by the radical social movement of the anarchist Emma Goldman. He joined the Industrial Workers of the World. In 1927, he had visited the Soviet Union and wrote a book, Liberty Under the Soviets. He later denounced communism in his book, A New Slavery, which condemned "the inhuman communist police state tyranny".[3] In the 1940s, Baldwin led the campaign to purge the ACLU of Communist Party members.[3]

Source: Wikipedia
Of course, if you have someone else in mind . . . . . . .

Last edited:
Upvote 0