Ampmonster

Swords to plowshares
Nov 6, 2003
FL
Visit site
✟3,504.00
Faith
Catholic
I'm gearing up for the coldest night..ever, in NJ here and i hear Algore is giving a speech tonight on global warming...
...global warming is theory, not fact. it was dreamed up by a few wackos with nothing better to do with their degrees and happened to get a grant.
again...the science community's ego runs unchecked thinking us humans and our machines can destroy God's earth. not likely

ACougar

U.S. Army Retired
Feb 7, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
✟37,952.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Goldstein

Gatherer.Of.Data
Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
✟8,048.00
Faith
Agnostic
Global warming is a bit of a misnomer, since it leads lazy people to believe that no place should be getting colder than it was in the past. This is not the case. What scientists call global warming is an increase of the average surface temperature across the entire world. That's average, not the highs or the lows of any particular place at any one time. One fact that is not widely known to the public is that scientists predict that global warming strengthens harsh weather events, leading to things like record high/low temperatures, record rainfall, etc., so the fact that this is the coldest day in decades in NY might actually be a small piece of evidence for global warming.

Upvote 0

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Ampmonster said:
I'm gearing up for the coldest night..ever, in NJ here and i hear Algore is giving a speech tonight on global warming...
...global warming is theory, not fact. it was dreamed up by a few wackos with nothing better to do with their degrees and happened to get a grant.
again...the science community's ego runs unchecked thinking us humans and our machines can destroy God's earth. not likely
You don't really believe what you've written to do you? If so you need to read up on what global warming is. Goldstein has provided you with a small taste.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
christianactor said:
my thought is how can you moniter global warming if we have only had the teck todo this for like less than a 100 years? how do we know that this same not some kinda of cycle that takes 250 years to repeat?
My understanding is that a lot of clues are to be had by looking at permafrost levels, old ice, tree rings, etc..

It is a certainly that the Earth has gone through cycles of warm and cold. There have been many, many ice ages that tend to take several tens of thousands of years to run their course. I believe that we should be heading into another ice age not too long from now but GW may interrupt it. Very difficult to tell.

My impression is that there is quite a bit of evidence that humans are effecting the climate. I think that you could say that the idea of global warming is fairly widely accepted in those diciplines that cover it. But I don't think that acceptance has reached the level of "Generally well accepted" as has evolution for example.

Upvote 0
U

Uzi_4_U

That is correct, we use ice cores in order to deduce temperature cycles.
How does that work? Just curious by the way.

My impression is that there is quite a bit of evidence that humans are effecting the climate. I think that you could say that the idea of global warming is fairly widely accepted in those diciplines that cover it. But I don't think that acceptance has reached the level of "Generally well accepted" as has evolution for example.
Do you believe in evolution? If you do, is it not the height of arrogance to assume that man whom has been around for however many million years that you postulate can affect something you postulate that has been around for billions of years?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

alonesoldier

Senior Veteran
Dec 30, 2002
Lawton Oklahoma, Officer Career Course
✟3,405.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't know if it's a myth, to be an environmentalist is cheek now like being a homosexual, it hard to separate fact from horse manure. but Al Gore should have rescheduled, as I understand it, as he spoke it was the coldest day on record there in 20 years. I know that my college professor a few years ago taught it as a theory and demonstrated the pros and the cons of it.

Upvote 0

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Uzi_4_U said:
Do you believe in evolution? If you do, is it not the height of arrogance to assume that man whom has been around for however many million years that you postulate can affect something you postulate that has been around for billions of years?
Why? :scratch:

It's pretty simple to estimate the amount of greenhouse gases that humans have been producing in the last 100 years and do the math to see that there should be an impact.

There is no arrogance involved.

Upvote 0
U

Uzi_4_U

It's pretty simple to estimate the amount of greenhouse gases that humans have been producing in the last 100 years and do the math to see that there should be an impact.
(I am not advocating evolution in any form)

Are you implying that something people have done in the last hundred years can that radically change that which has existed for billions of years?

There is no arrogance involved.
We cannot even produce energy on the scale of that released by a hurricane save with our most terrible weapons, weapons which have been used twice. Even our most marvelous constructions would vanish in a matter of decades if they were left to the elements. Buy yet, somehow in the last mere 100 years we have managed to somehow alter the climate of this world.

Upvote 0

crazyfingers

May 17, 2002
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟18,923.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Uzi_4_U said:
(I am not advocating evolution in any form)

Are you implying that something people have done in the last hundred years can that radically change that which has existed for billions of years?
I don't know why you think that the length of time that the earth has existed has any impact on whether humans can impact the climate.

And very small changes in the average temperature can add up to very large changes in weather patters.

We cannot even produce energy on the scale of that released by a hurricane save with our most terrible weapons, weapons which have been used twice. Even our most marvelous constructions would vanish in a matter of decades if they were left to the elements. Buy yet, somehow in the last mere 100 years we have managed to somehow alter the climate of this world.
It's is not a question of energy that we have released. It's a question of greenouse gasses.

Upvote 0

Godzman

Peace
Sep 8, 2003
Central Bible College
✟10,549.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ampmonster said:

your probably right, but the "educated" will think you are wrong.

such a shame

Upvote 0