1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2. Please check out our two newest forums, the "Buy, Sell or Trade" (link ) forum in the Society Category, and the "Conspiracy Theories" (link) forum in our Discussion and Debate Category.

Glenn Morton has left the building

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by USincognito, Nov 7, 2012.

1. USincognito

USincognito Stop QWERTYface! Supporter

Faith:
    Atheist
    Well, not the building per se, but he's removed his website from the Internet has posted a rather long and slightly bitter post explaining why here:
    Why I took my creation web pages down

2. RickG

RickG Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Presbyterian
    I didn't get through the entire post but in part of it I note that he has perceived a trend for anti YEC misinformation to be also move toward anti religion.

If I perceive that correctly I understand what he is going through. I have never been a YEC, but anti religion comments are quite common in some threads here. I think that is counter productive in revealing the sad truth that the YEC movement is riddled with deliberate misrepresentations. Atheists are apparently unwittingly pursuing the wrong objective.

I think the best approach perhaps, is to concentrate specifically on the misrepresentations and dispense with arguments that question religious beliefs. In other words, show what is being misrepresented and how, rather than just presenting scientific evidence for evolution and and an old earth.

Thoughts?

3. Tomk80

Tomk80 Titleless

Faith:
    Agnostic
    While I can sympathize with his position, I also see in his response something that I think are good things. One of his complaints is that bigots are more and more prohibited by law to use religion as an excuse to practice their bigotry and atheists moving to force the government to comply with its own rules on the separation of church and state. If that is the reason he stopped his page, good riddance to him as far as I am concerned.

4. Jamin4422

Jamin4422 Member

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Faith:
    UnitedChurchOfChrist
    Wow I remember talking to him a long time ago in the internet.

5. Split Rock

Split Rock Conflation of Blathers

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Agnostic
    A pretty angry and hateful letter complaining about others being angry and hateful. Ironic. I find it a bit hard to understand how a small minority of a small minority (militant atheists) can be such a big threat to Glenn's religion. Sorry, but I don't buy it. Sure there are intolerant jerks and trolls on either end of the spectrum, but they don't have the power that Glen seems to think they have to form policy in this country. Case in point, most of the evolution supporters here in this forum are not anti-religion.

I also disagree with allowing YECs to teach religion as science in public schools, even if its what the parents in the district want. They can teach their religion in their churches... that is where it belongs, not in public schools. That is what our Constitution and our laws say.

While I am somewhat disappointed in Glen's decision, it was his to make. He has the right to make it. There you go, Glenn, I disagree with you, but I am supporting your right to make your own decisions and the right (as you wrote about) to be wrong.

6. Elendur

Elendur Gamer and mathematician

Marital Status:
    Engaged
    Faith:
    Agnostic
    I agree, though it's a fine edge to separate the misrepresentations from beliefs (since many of them are presented the same way) and to confront them properly.

On a separate matter, since I don't feel like posting two posts in a row:

The thing I disagree most with, of what he wrote, is the school system. It's probably more complicated than how I perceive it but I was under the impression that he saw the children as properties of the parents, rather than unique individuals deserving equal opportunities in life.

7. Jro

Jro Guest

This just reads like a crazed rant honestly.

8. Loudmouth

Loudmouth Contributor

Faith:
    Agnostic
    I can see his point. Whenever I cite his essays I try to emphasize that his arguments are anti-creaitonist, not anti-christian.

9. HitchSlap

HitchSlap Saved by science

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Atheist
    I remember reading a thread some time ago where Morton and Thamaturgy were debating, and Glenn came across as a disrespectful arrogant hot air bag. Good riddance from the internetz Glenn.

10. dad

dad Undefeated

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    I noticed that freedom was a central issue in his letter. The Gestapo tactics of the godless Inquisitors, making it illegal to be a believer basically in the US.

Hopefully, now that they voted there for an ungodly leader, (openly anti bible policies) and blaspemy, no one in their right mind expects anything but oppression and darkness anymore there. The US is the enemy of God now.

11. HitchSlap

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Atheist
    You haven't taken your meds yet today, have you?

12. Jro

Jro Guest

I think he just lives in Washington or Colorado.

13. Loudmouth

Loudmouth Contributor

Faith:
    Agnostic
    Perhaps you can cite some evidence of this?

14. dad

dad Undefeated

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    Can a teacher refuse to teach lies and ungodly things? Can a child bring a bible to school? Can parents not allow their brainwashed daughter to not kill her child? Can one preach what the bible says on marriage publicly, and take measure to keep the gleefully perverted from their ranks?

The believers are forced more and more into hiding and secrecy like the catacombs of Rome. I would be surprised if the next several years were not marked by growing real persecution, evil oppressive laws, open blasphemy, and such inevitable results of advanced decay. Good news for believers!!! Very good news. People get ready, there's a train a comin.....and to hell with the US and it's leadership.

15. CabVet

CabVet Question everything

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Agnostic
    He asks for evidence, you offer none.

Perhaps he had too much.

16. Loudmouth

Loudmouth Contributor

Faith:
    Agnostic
    Yes. If they refuse to teach the curriculum they may get fired, but then why would someone choose a profession where they are forced to go against their beliefs? What next? Jews are persecuted because they can't be taste testers at ham factories?

Yes, absolutely. You can even read your bible during your free time at school. What is not allowed is teachers evangelizing during school hours, or the use of public dollars in evangelizing. I don't see why this is a problem.

Yes. Parents can even have their daughter committed to a mental institution (a 72 hour hold) if they feel that their daughter is a threat to other people, including her child.

Yes.

What? Everywhere I go I see churches where people proudly and publicly attend services thorughout the week. No one is stopping them. In fact, I am pretty sure that the majority of people in the US are believers of one faith or another. I have never, ever seen a law that states that christians can not hold public office. However, states did pass laws that prevented atheists from holding public office. History and facts are just the opposite of what you claim

And now you have to invent persecution in order to feel better about yourself.

17. Split Rock

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Agnostic
    What a load of crappola. President Obama is a practising Christian. There is nothing "ungodly" about the man. You can always leave the country and go somewhere more appealing to you... like maybe Iran. :wave:

18. HitchSlap

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Atheist
    This actually makes the most sense.

19. Split Rock

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith: