Visit site
✟428,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Swedish government - it’s illegal for schools to teach religious doctrine as if it were true.

The Swedish government has announced plans to clamp down hard on religious education. It will soon become illegal even for private faith schools to teach religious doctrines as if they were true. In an interesting twist on the American experience, prayer will remain legal in schools - after all, it has no truth value. But everything that takes place on the curriculum’s time will have to be secular. “Pupils must be protected from every sort of fundamentalism,” said the minister for schools, Jan Björklund.

Swedish government - it’s illegal for schools to teach religious doctrine as if it were true.

FreThink » Blog Archive » Swedish government - it’s illegal for schools to teach religious doctrine as if it were true.

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
bene, don't you think your post is fearmongering, just a lil?

mmmm no. It's really where i see us heading.

30 years ago when RvW was enacted I'm sure those who predicted what we have today was seen as a fearmongering to. Who would have thought that RvW would mean live birth abortions?

Do you think we would have signed up for that had we known?

When have we ever turn backwards from moral degradation? We are all a bunch of frogs slow boiling in a pot of water. We never think we are headed for disaster until we get there.

Upvote 0

seeker777

Thinking is not a sin.
Jun 15, 2008
✟9,354.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

“Pupils must be protected from every sort of fundamentalism,” said the minister for schools.

It should be unlawful to teach religion as truth in a public school. For the simple fact, that objectively, no one can prove that Catholicism is any truer than the Baptist faith or any truer than Islam or truer than worshiping Osiris.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Globalnomad

Senior Veteran
Apr 2, 2005
Change countries every three years
✟16,257.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Interesting idea. If it stops creationists from getting into a school and teaching that the world was created 7 000 years ago in 7 days and that apes sprang into being fully-formed the same day as Adam and Eve, I'll be glad to take all other difficulties that will come with the policy!

Seriously guys, this may work out quite well. I like the idea of an educational system where during the curriculum hours you are taught purely according to human logic, and you are taught theology and the history of religions from a purely scientific perspective; and where faith is taught in a different setting, in separate extracurricular religious education classes. It might help clarify young people's minds about the difference between faith and science.... things that are sadly often confused or put onto the same plane.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟428,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
We can still own our own Africans and women can't vote, right? I haven't really been paying attention.
These are not subjects that reduce morality...so how do they calculate into the scenerio?
Glad I am not in the US, no offense to anyone. They don't even have national healthcare there. If I were American, I'd be an orphan. :sorry: Sorry for the derail, I just got so sad from reading a thread in WD about healthcare. :(
Um, yea, Beks, we do have healthcare for the indigent.
Its not well talked about in here, but um, no, you wouldnt have been orphaned.

That aside, how does healthcare even equate to this minister telling Christian schools they are not allowed to teach religion as a certainty?

Interesting idea. If it stops creationists from getting into a school and teaching that the world was created 7 000 years ago in 7 days and that apes sprang into being fully-formed the same day as Adam and Eve, I'll be glad to take all other difficulties that will come with the policy!

Seriously guys, this may work out quite well. I like the idea of an educational system where during the curriculum hours you are taught purely according to human logic, and you are taught theology and the history of religions from a purely scientific perspective; and where faith is taught in a different setting, in separate extracurricular religious education classes. It might help clarify young people's minds about the difference between faith and science.... things that are sadly often confused or put onto the same plane.

I am just going to assume you did not read the part where it says...

It will soon become illegal even for private faith schools to teach religious doctrines as if they were true.

Upvote 0

Globalnomad

Senior Veteran
Apr 2, 2005
Change countries every three years
✟16,257.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Globalnomad, I do not like governments telling Catholic Schools that they can not teach that the Catholic Faith is true
Neither do I, but I don't think that is the idea. I think the idea is that teaching Catholic faith tenets as true has to be done in an extra-curricular setting.

I'd like someone to fill us in with some details on this policy. I strongly suspect that there is much more to it than this generic, alarming article, and that there is still a way for confessional schools to provide for religious teaching.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟428,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Glad I am not in the US, no offense to anyone. They don't even have national healthcare there. If I were American, I'd be an orphan. :sorry: Sorry for the derail, I just got so sad from reading a thread in WD about healthcare. :(

I am surprised however; that you are not indignant that if you ever have children or a small child in your life, your options will be void to send them to religious instructions.

Or that you are not outraged that the young Catholics in your parish will not be allowed to be taught that God is real.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WarriorAngel

Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟428,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Neither do I, but I don't think that is the idea. I think the idea is that teaching Catholic faith tenets as true has to be done in an extra-curricular setting.

I am very confused...

THIS man is not saying that public schools arent allowed to teach religion.

HE is saying that children are NOT allowed to be taught that God and religion are real, and this INCLUDES Catholic schools.

Private schools, GN...

Upvote 0

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I am surprised however; that you are not indignant that if you ever have children or a small child in your life, your options will be void to send them to religious instructions.

Or that you are not outraged that the young Catholics in your parish will not be allowed to be taught that God is real.
Who says I'm not outraged? :scratch: I never said that.

I will now, though. It is really far, far more important for me to have affordable healthcare than to have creationism taught in school - that's how pro-life I am, because having affordable healthcare saves lives. Religion can be taught at home or in church. But I can't understand American thinking; IMO you all have your priorities wrong, and I'm sure Americans think the same of Europeans. And never the twain shall meet.

Reactions: Pogue
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟428,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Beks, I will say this once again - :)
America has already instituted free health care for the poor.
Each state is responsible and even if someone doesn't sign up for it....the hospitals have a system of 'indignent' care for those who cannot afford it.
In Pa it is called Hill Burton act.

Fill out the paper work, and the bill is paid.

So there is nothing in the debates you are seeing in here that is absolute.
I mentioned all of this before, but i was skipped over, because it made the point to vote in Obama and tax us out of oblivion less important...since we already have EXCELLENT health care for children and the poor and those on disability.

NOW - back on topic...
YOU are ok with closing down Catholic schools?
You don't think Catholic schools should be allowed to teach Catholciism?
And that parents probably can do without the option and freedom to utilize the use of the schools?

Beks, if we were all proficient in teaching our children, there would be no need for CCD classes... and religious instruction.
The Church wants this so we are properly catechized.
And looking at the world today - i would agree the majority havent been properly taught...
And you want the responsibility to sit in the lap of the parents who on average dont really know how to teach?
Or just will NOT teach.

Sorry Beks, love ya, but i strongly disagree.
Of the majority of ppl i run into [at CCD and otherwise] most themselves dont know or care to teach their children.

SO were looking at NOT allowing children to 'come to Jesus' as He said.

As Antoinette said; let them eat cake.

Upvote 0

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
WA, really, the dutch school system is very different from the American one, and I suspect the Swedish is different from either. Over here, we don't really have catholic schools that are actually catholic. :sorry: I went to one, and it wasn't noticeably catholic. It's just how things are. I think we all largely accept our world as it is (it would drive us crazy otherwise! It does drive me crazy already - I mean, I would love to change a million things over here - but even I accept some parts of reality because I can't change everything - small steps and all that).

From what I know of the American healthcare system, my parents would not have qualified for health insurance because of bad luck in the genes lottery, and that means that my dad would have died from cancer, and my mum from a combination of several nasty things.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟428,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
In my state - they got rid of the pre existing conditions.
And i am glad to see that...gives more options ot peeps who would otherwise not be qualified.
And again everyone is accepted, and in the past it wasnt UNTIL you got sick that you could not qualify.
Which was the point of obtaining insurances [before getting sick] with the actuary studies.

But alot of insurance companies have moved to no more pre existing conditions and have been this way for the last 4-5 years or so.
Maybe it was Bush - or the former republican we had in office. ;) [lol]

Seriously, its NOT nearly as bad as some suggest.
In fact, America is by all accounts one of the leaders in technology and advancement in studying illnesses.

I dont recall other countries who have 'national healthcare' having the same influential studies & cures...and life saving advancements.

So what good would healthcare be, if we cannot irradicate the diseases to begin with?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.