✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
1 Co 14:2
For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
KJV

One can pray in tongues anytime, for as long as one wants. No one else understands what is said, but God does.
The "tongue" Paul speaks of here is not the same as the tongue that requires interpretation.

Upvote 0

IKTCA

Senior Veteran
Oct 18, 2003
✟18,959.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
How do you know when you are speaking to God?

If I understand correctly, your question is how one knows he is indeed speaking to God when he is speaking in tongues. Do you ask this question because you want to be sure you are speaking to God in tongues? Or is it more or less out of curiosity? Once I know where you are, I can better answer your question.

Rupert

Upvote 0

Prizm

Oct 25, 2008
✟8,052.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
How do you know when you are speaking to God?

As IKTCA said, I'm not sure what you're asking, but I'll try to answer:

Speaking in tongues is one thing, but the gift of tongues and the gift of prophecy are different things again.

Anytime we speak in tongues, we are speaking to God. God gave us the language and ability to speak it, so it glorifies Him.

The gifts of the Holy Spirit are available after a person is already filled with the Holy Spirit (with the evidence of tongues):

The gift of tongues (or gift of 'different kinds of tongues') refers more to speaking in tongues specifically for the purpose of interpretation. It may also mean more than one language. I've heard of a couple instances where a spirit-filled Christian has two tongues that are completely different from each other.

God distributes the nine gifts as He pleases, so not everyone has them (I Cor 12:11). But we are encouraged to seek them.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As spoken above - there are two kinds of tongues - one is your prayer language to God and the other is the Gift of Tongues for edification of the church and must be interpreted - if there is not one there to interpret it - it is not from God.

One good example of how God uses the Gift of Tongues - I have a friend who is a Pastor - he went to Peru for ministry - he was in a meeting of hundreds - had an interpreter and after the first sentence of the sermon - the interpreter sat down - he just went on with the sermon not realizing what had happened - when he finished he ask the interpreter why he did not translate - the interpreter said you were speaking perfect language of Peru - he did not even realize it.

Another good example of your prayer language - I was out in the back yard and the immediate urge to pray in the Spirit came over me - I find out the next day that my son and his family were in an awful car accident - rolled their SUV - landed upside down - twins hanging from the top in their car seats - no injuries - only some hair pulled out of my daughter-in-law's head.

Your prayer language carries very forceful words that your spirit knows needs to be spoken to God - that is when the tongues take over - most people can pray at any time in tongues. Don't know how to explain knowing that you are talking to God - you just feel the presence of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
“Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually. And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? But earnestly desire the best gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way (the way of LOVE).” (1 Cor. 12:27-31)

“Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but especially that you may prophesy.” (1 Cor. 14:1)

There is much deception about speaking in tongues, particularly those churches that promote it, and are improperly using and desiring the Gift, because they want to bring attention to themselves. This deception does open believers up to demonic influence, and a demonic tongue.

Many may state that “tongues” is only the evidence of being baptised in the Holy Spirit, which is an overkill statement, and a discriminating measuring stick of a “form of godliness”, because what they are saying is that if you don’t “speak with tongues”, then you are not baptised in the Holy Spirit.

Over the years I have seen the powers of darkness counterfeiting such Gift and causes much caos in some churches during Sunday services, and this is why we also need to Gift of discerning of spirits, and LOVE.

They also say that through the baptism of the Holy Spirit it give us greater boldness, greater spiritual discernment, and access to the nine gifts of the Spirit, which again is another overkill statement, because all of those Gifts are ‘earnetsly desired”, not by being baptised.

The words that are spoken in His Word are “earnestly desire the best gifts, pursue LOVE, and desire spiritual gifts” and LOVE is what counts. There is NO measuring stick of your spirituality or what level of Spiritual Gifts you are working at. But, when done in LOVE, then you will know if you are working in the Holy Spirit.

Be very wary of those who insist that you MUST “speak with tongues”, because LOVE is the essence of “speaking with tongues”. Much “flesh” is found in those who “speak with tongues”, and they “sound like brass and clanging cymbals”.

“Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.” (1 Cor. 13:1-3)

It all comes from our HEART, at our heart is our fountain, and what flows from the fountain comes from our heart and out from our mouth. Therefore, the “Greatest Gift of All” is LOVE, and when you love from your heart, you will know that what comes forth from your mouth is of our Lord Jesus Christ or of the flesh or of the powers of darkness. Desire the Gift of Discerning of spirits and you will know whether you “speak with tongues”.

Test all spirits, and you will know the fruit of your callings, and your LOVE!

Upvote 0
L

LeadWorship

Desire the Gift of Discerning of spirits and you will know whether you “speak with tongues”.

Test all spirits, and you will know the fruit of your callings, and your LOVE!

I would say this is the crux. Ask God to teach you how to discern all things, spiritually, so that you may know that which is of God, and that which is not.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.