Getting people 'saved' without preaching the Gospel

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here are the quick steps I've seen preachers use to get people 'saved' without even preaching the Gospel.

1. Preach on some message that doesn't explain the Gospel like Paul lays out in I Corinthians 15. It could be a good sermon, for example on marriage or eschatology.

2. Don't mention that Jesus died on the cross.

3. Don't mention that Jesus is the Son of God.

4. Don't mention the fact that Jesus Christ rose from the dead.

5. Don't mention sin.

6. Ask the audience if anyone there is going through a tough time and wants to ask Jesus for help in their life.

7. Have an altar call or else have people raise hands in response to the invitation and have them repeat a prayer 'asking Jesus into your heart' or 'accepting Jesus', without explaining what that means.

8. Tell the people if they repeated the prayer, they are saved.

9. Tell them the Devil will try to convinced them that they aren't saved.

This seems to be the typical approach rather than the exception. Sermon topic may change and point 6 might vary a bit. But this sort of thing seems to be the exception rather than the rule in a lot of Pentecostal churches that do the sinner's prayer ritual. I can't tell you how many times I've seen Pentecostal and Charismatic preachers do just this.

These methods aren't going to save anyone who is unchurched and doesn't know the Gospel.

Even if you actually explain the Gospel, it's possible for someone to repeat a sinner's prayer after you without truly repenting or believing. In a one-on-one situation, some people will do it just because you asked or to get you off their back. Some people will mouth some words after a preacher.

Some people foolishly believe that sinners are saved by going though the ritual of repeating a prayer without considering whether the sinner has repented and believed.

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My post is tongue in cheek of course. But this sort of approach to 'winning souls' seems to be typical these days, on TV and in churches. I tend to go to Pentecostal, Charismatic, or evangelical continuationist type churches. I don't know if the Baptists, for example, are as sloppy as preaching the Gospel. But leaving the cross and the resurrection out seems typical of a lot of Pentecostal and Charismatic churches these days.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have seen those myself... sad :(

When I lived in El Paso, we attended Abundant Living Faith Center for a time until they had an altar call. All that was said was if you want prayer then come forward. Sort of like no. 6 above.

So we go forward, we pray as a group and then the preacher said, congradulations you are now children of God. I was like, Ummm I was already a child of God.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have seen those myself... sad :(

When I lived in El Paso, we attended Abundant Living Faith Center for a time until they had an altar call. All that was said was if you want prayer then come forward. Sort of like no. 6 above.

So we go forward, we pray as a group and then the preacher said, congradulations you are now children of God. I was like, Ummm I was already a child of God.

Maybe someone ought to confront preachers who do such things.

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can't even talk about that stuff here on CF without people getting offended that we dare question the salvation of others.

Not that I am concerned with such comments but just saying

Correct me if I am wrong, but you could probably say, 'some people are not saved' without violating forum rules. But if you start telling people they aren't saved in posts, then that would be against forum rules.

I wonder if the 12 apostles would get banned fast if they posted on the forum. :)

Upvote 0

MissRowy

Ms Snarky
Site Supporter
Oct 31, 2012
Western Sydney
✟250,212.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
AU-Labor
Everyone has different views on how you can be saved and what the Apostles said. There are people who will not read any bible but the KJV which I don't have a problem with. Its when they say the other versions are wrong that I don't like.
Anyway..............

Upvote 0