Getting over stage fright?

IanHulett

Oct 31, 2014
✟15,113.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hey. My name is Ian. I'm new but the thing I need help with doesn't exactly fit in the welcome forum. So, my first post will be here.

I'm going to perform one of my own Contemporary Christian songs at my local church in 2 weeks and I'm already panicking and can't get rid of the urge change my mind and opt out, not because I don't want to perform, contrary, I REALLY want to, but because of the overwhelming stage fright and the fear nobody will like the song. Any tips on getting over stage fright?

God's Child

Psalm 23
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2006
✟135,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I would focus on singing to God and not the people and pretend that they are not there. It is normal to feel anxious before singing. A lot of singers do. If you have time, go over to the church and practice where you will be singing. When the day comes, instead of looking at people look over their heads and before you know it you will be comfortable. Just focus on God and focus on the song and you can't go wrong.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,725.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I take it back to the basics. Anyone who would do this would be a bit nervous and thats natural. It keeps you on your toes. Your performing one of your own songs and you are playing and making music. That is an achievement in itself regardless of what it is like. As you start to play you will be concentrating on playing and that will take your attention. Well just focus on that anyway. You may make a mistake but people understand and they dont notice it as much as you think they do or you do.

You are also putting a message out there. As you get over the nerves you will be focusing on trying to make the performance better. Once you have done it you will love it and want to do it again and again. The more you do it the more you will get confident and do better. People will be coming up to you with support and relating to you. You will make lots of friends and find others who have something in common. You are doing something you love and getting the chance to perform. Its all good. makes me want to do it now. I play the guitar and write songs and have performed a little. I get nervous but also love being able to play music to others. Its an expression of yourself and its your art and who you are.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
G

Godislove94

Hi Ian, welcome to the forums!

I can relate very easily to your struggle with stage fright because it's been an issue for me my entire life. I was thinking about this today after I had to play a solo in front of everyone in one of my music classes, and something hit me about it all:

"We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ" ---2 Corinthians 10:5.

Performance anxiety is all from your mind, which the Word tells us we need to renew daily. Unfortunately in addition to freaking out while I play, I also tend to really beat up on myself afterwards because I'm a major perfectionist. Next time you think about your upcoming performance and you start to stress and worry, stop, and take that thought and turn it into something that God might say about you. Like, if you're thinking "Oh my gosh, I can't hit that note and I always sing the wrong pitch after this part of the song, I'm going to really screw it up," stop, and think "I may not be able to master those hard things on my own, but with God I can do anything because He gives me strength". And then, when you pray before you go onstage, have faith that God is going to help you out and is standing right next to you or is in the audience cheering you on. Here are some other scriptures that might help you.:

"I can do all things through Christ[a] who strengthens me." ---Philippians 4:13

"For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." ---2 Timothy 2:17

"I will lift up my eyes to the hills—From whence comes my help? My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth. He will not allow your foot to be moved; He who keeps you will not slumber.Behold, He who keeps Israel Shall neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord is your keeper; The Lord is your shade at your right hand. The sun shall not strike you by day, Nor the moon by night.The Lord shall preserve you from all evil; He shall preserve your soul. The Lord shall preserve your going out and your coming in From this time forth, and even forevermore." ---Psalm 121

And here's some really good ones if you struggle with perfectionism:
"There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." --Romans 8:1.

"But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love with which he loved us." --Ephesians 2:4.

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."
---Philippians 4:6-7.
*You could add verse 8 to this too.

I wish you well on your upcoming performance. :)

Upvote 0
Mar 12, 2014
Washington
Visit site
✟15,390.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Someone might have already said this, but the most important thing is to practice until you can't get it wrong. Practice every day until you could perform it in your sleep. That is the key.

And as someone already said, the nerves keep you on your toes. It's adrenalin and it's there to give you energy to perform. Performers would be boring without it.

If you're really shaking and stuff, take a deep breath, hold it a second and exhale. Also, remember that you are the most powerful person in the room. You are on stage above everyone and that means you're in charge. If you smile, everyone else will smile. Remember that everyone there actually wants to see you and wants you to succeed. Nobody goes to a concert (and certainly not to church) hoping the performer will fail. Show them love and they will love you back.

So: 1. Practice until it's memorized. 2. Take a deep breath. 3. Stand up straight and smile and greet all those people out there who want you to see you do you're best.

Upvote 0
Mar 12, 2014
Washington
Visit site
✟15,390.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I thought I should emphasize that practicing until it's second-nature is the most important thing. Practice exactly as you would perform it. If you have everything memorized fully, you won't freeze. Your muscle-memory will take over no matter how nervous you are. You can't completely get rid of the nerves and they will usually make you freeze up on anything you don't have memorized. Make your performance second-nature and you'll just start playing and singing away even if you are really nervous.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,725.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And as someone already said, the nerves keep you on your toes. It's adrenalin and it's there to give you energy to perform. Performers would be boring without it.
Not just boring I think there's a certain innocence and charm with a little nerves. If there wasn't any I think you can get carried away or too cocky. I use to go to Karaoke and the ones who did everything right and were coming across like they didn't have a worry were good but it was the same old same old. The ones that were nervous and made some mistakes were the ones you enjoyed as it was real. Having a go is just as important even if you are not the greatest.

Upvote 0
Mar 12, 2014
Washington
Visit site
✟15,390.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Not just boring I think there's a certain innocence and charm with a little nerves. If there wasn't any I think you can get carried away or too cocky. I use to go to Karaoke and the ones who did everything right and were coming across like they didn't have a worry were good but it was the same old same old. The ones that were nervous and made some mistakes were the ones you enjoyed as it was real. Having a go is just as important even if you are not the greatest.

I think I know what you mean. People want to see real people up on the stage. Also, nerves are sort of an acknowledgement of the audience. You're nervous because people are looking at you. Connecting with the audience and showing them that you care is the real secret of a good performance. Those karaoke people who aren't nervous are just singing like they're in the shower or something. It's like the audience isn't even there. They're just singing for themselves. "Sing like nobody's watching" is not great advice for a performer. A musician can write and record for the love of music, but he needs to perform for the love of the audience.

I can't remember if it's Barbara Streisand or Celine Dion, but one of them apparently has extreme, extreme stage fright every performance. That should tell us something.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,725.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think I know what you mean. People want to see real people up on the stage. Also, nerves are sort of an acknowledgement of the audience. You're nervous because people are looking at you. Connecting with the audience and showing them that you care is the real secret of a good performance. Those karaoke people who aren't nervous are just singing like they're in the shower or something. It's like the audience isn't even there. They're just singing for themselves. "Sing like nobody's watching" is not great advice for a performer. A musician can write and record for the love of music, but he needs to perform for the love of the audience.

I can't remember if it's Barbara Streisand or Celine Dion, but one of them apparently has extreme, extreme stage fright every performance. That should tell us something.

I guess its all about keeping it real. Having nerves means your vulnerable in a good way. You still need to keep it together and like you said practice. But never get to cocky and lose touch with others. I think a big part of the performance is connecting with people and getting them to believe in what you are singing about.

Upvote 0

IanHulett

Oct 31, 2014
✟15,113.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thanks for the support guys.

The performance was today, and I'd say me and my backup did a pretty good job. We impressed the pastor and everybody in the congregation had something nice to say.

My mother filmed it and put it on YouTube. Since I can't post links yet, I can't link to it. But you can find it if you go to youtube and type in:

Ian Love of God Forever Strong

It should be the first result and it will be by MotherBear 038.

Again, thank you for your support.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,725.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for the support guys.

The performance was today, and I'd say me and my backup did a pretty good job. We impressed the pastor and everybody in the congregation had something nice to say.

My mother filmed it and put it on YouTube. Since I can't post links yet, I can't link to it. But you can find it if you go to youtube and type in:

Ian Love of God Forever Strong

It should be the first result and it will be by MotherBear 038.

Again, thank you for your support.
Glad to hear it went well for you Ian. Its a great experience and something you can look back on. Its good to get feed back and make that connection. The first of many I hope. I will check out your video, all the best.

Ps, Just watched the video and great stuff Ian I enjoyed that. Is that your original song. The video picked up the sound very well from where it looked like your mum was standing. I do some recording and I have found that videos and even mobiles have a good pickup. I like live acoustic as it has an unplugged sound to it. Great stuff.
Steve.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IanHulett

Oct 31, 2014
✟15,113.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Ps, Just watched the video and great stuff Ian I enjoyed that. Is that your original song.

Yes, it's a song I wrote. I was inspired by a few artists. Chris Tomlin, Matt Maher, Casting Crowns and David Crowder. They're my main inspirations for wanting to become a Contemporary Christian Singer/Songwriter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟246,725.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, it's a song I wrote, but I was inspired by a few artists. Chris Tomlin, Matt Maher, Casting Crowns and David Crowder. They're my main inspirations for wanting to become a Contemporary Christian Singer/Songwriter.
Good on you and keep going at it. You will be inspired more and more. It is a gift that will come out and you can have a message. Music is a powerful tool to get across what you want to say. There is not enough music for God and we need something that will penetrate into peoples hearts about God and salvation. Music seems to be the main tool for the young and they can relate better to it.

I have written many songs but have yet to establish anything. But I believe this is where my talent lies as well. I can express myself better through music than anything else. I have tried to attach a couple of songs but I am not sure it has worked. Nuh didnt work oh well if you go to sound cloud but you will have to join I think. Heres my link for soundcloud anyway.
https://soundcloud.com/steven-waters-3

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums