Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
OP did - she said

Isn't African garb a form of attire ?
I was speaking to an African woman yesterday. In think Swahili is her native language. She said a lot of African nations have French as the official language that most people speak. I know she said Congo was one, not sure what other areas. So that would make sense as far as the OP goes, African man speaking French.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I was speaking to an African woman yesterday. In think Swahili is her native language. She said a lot of African nations have French as the official language that most people speak. I know she said Congo was one, not sure what other areas. So that would make sense as far as the OP goes, African man speaking French.

Nods. Old French and Belgian colonies.
Democratic Republic of Congo is one. It's one of the peculiar places where the Anglican Church is francophone

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,064,847.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
My Grandmothers side of the family resides in Saginaw Michigan and are very devout Catholics. I use to go to church at times with them and the Cathedral of Mary church there is magnificent!
Cathedral_of_Mary_of_the_Assumption_(Saginaw,_Michigan).jpeg

My Grandmother's brother, Frank, had a son whose family started attending a Charismatic church. They had invited my very Catholic Uncle Frank to service one day. While serving communion Uncle Frank gets out of his seat and storm out chastising the whole congregation for the way they were attending to mass while throwing one terrible fit. Those who were there will never forget the service!

Upvote 0

St Antony

May 29, 2013
USA
✟8,658.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You can keep trying to find to find anthor parish or tell the priest he is stupid.
I vote for option #2. No one has a right to come to America and live here. If foreigners do not want to learn our language and adopt our culture (i.e. assimilate") then we should deport them back to from whenever they come. This priest is an embarrassment to the Church if he did anything remotely resembling what you described.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I vote for option #2. No one has a right to come to America and live here. If foreigners do not want to learn our language and adopt our culture (i.e. assimilate") then we should deport them back to from whenever they come. This priest is an embarrassment to the Church if he did anything remotely resembling what you described.
You feel qualified to call an ordained priest of the Catholic Church a "disgrace" based solely on hearsay?

Upvote 0

St Antony

May 29, 2013
USA
✟8,658.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
You feel qualified to call an ordained priest of the Catholic Church a "disgrace" based solely on hearsay?
I qualified my comment with "if he did anything remotely resembling what you describe." if the poster is making this up, then that obviously changes things. Somehow, I don't think the OP is fabricating this story, however.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I qualified my comment with "if he did anything remotely resembling what you describe." if the poster is making this up, then that obviously changes things. Somehow, I don't think the OP is fabricating this story, however.
I don't think we have enough information to judge the appropriateness of the incident either way. It sounds like it could be a good tie in with Pentecost. But the OP has not come back to clarify when questions were posed to her. So we really can't say for sure.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I vote for option #2. No one has a right to come to America and live here. If foreigners do not want to learn our language and adopt our culture (i.e. assimilate") ...
Like the first settles did, you mean?

What makes English the language of America or Australia?

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I hate it when ANY type of liturgy or worship service is used for stunts, theatrics, corny "teachable moments," and liberal wibbly-wobbly attention-getters. Liturgy is about CHRIST. It's not about patriotism, social justice boloney, or about how bad the West is. It's about worshipping the Risen Lord in the most dignified, timeless, kingly, befitting fashion one can muster for the Lord of Lords. I can't stand theatrics and "aha moments." Yeesh

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I hate it when ANY type of liturgy or worship service is used for stunts, theatrics, corny "teachable moments," and liberal wibbly-wobbly attention-getters. Liturgy is about CHRIST. It's not about patriotism, social justice boloney, or about how bad the West is. It's about worshipping the Risen Lord in the most dignified, timeless, kingly, befitting fashion one can muster for the Lord of Lords. I can't stand theatrics and "aha moments." Yeesh
At least in the west, the homily and readings - the whole liturgy of the word really - are a teaching moment.

Upvote 0

St Antony

May 29, 2013
USA
✟8,658.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
At least in the west, the homily and readings - the whole liturgy of the word really - are a teaching moment.
I know we are taught by Christ to approach fellow believers in love. Sometimes though, I think Catholics need to take a hard line against the progressive left, which seems intent on attacking our church and society at every opportunity. English speaking white Americans are certainly not perfect and have certainly made their share of mistakes throughout history, but have done a lot of good too. They have a right to be left alone and worship in their way without an ideologue trying to make a spectacle our of the sacred mass. If Catholics in other countries, continents and cultures wish to worship another way (assuming it meets canonical requirements established for all parishes everywhere), then great! Whatever brings them closer to Christ and following Christ, then I'm all for it. I just don't want a hostile, offensive ideology shoved down the throats of my family, neighbors and community at mass.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I know we are taught by Christ to approach fellow believers in love. Sometimes though, I think Catholics need to take a hard line against the progressive left, which seems intent on attacking our church and society at every opportunity. English speaking white Americans are certainly not perfect and have certainly made their share of mistakes throughout history, but have done a lot of good too. They have a right to be left alone and worship in their way without an ideologue trying to make a spectacle our of the sacred mass. If Catholics in other countries, continents and cultures wish to worship another way (assuming it meets canonical requirements established for all parishes everywhere), then great! Whatever brings them closer to Christ and following Christ, then I'm all for it. I just don't want a hostile, offensive ideology shoved down the throats of my family, neighbors and community at mass.
Reading that, "our church" seems to be the Republican Party.

Upvote 0

St Antony

May 29, 2013
USA
✟8,658.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Reading that, "our church" seems to be the Republican Party.
I don't care much for the Republican Party or our political system in general. Almost without exception, most Democrats are ideologues hostile to the traditional American way of life, while most Republicans are enslaved by their corporate and special interest paymasters. I almost wouldn't mind if we went back to medieval times when the Popes and the Church had a major role in governing society, or the partnership between Emperor and Patriarch in the East. At least occasionally the Pope and Church would act in the interest of the people and for the common good. Our current political system almost never does this.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I don't care much for the Republican Party or our political system in general. Almost without exception, most Democrats are ideologues hostile to the traditional American way of life, while most Republicans are enslaved by their corporate and special interest paymasters. I almost wouldn't mind if we went back to medieval times when the Popes and the Church had a major role in governing society, or the partnership between Emperor and Patriarch in the East. At least occasionally the Pope and Church would act in the interest of the people and for the common good. Our current political system almost never does this.
Yet in other threads you are rejecting the leadership the church offers?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

St Antony

May 29, 2013
USA
✟8,658.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yet in other threads you are rejecting the leadership the church offers?
Depending on what Pope Francis actually says in his Encyclical, I might disagree with the Church on one issue. I disagree with our politicians on most everything. At least I would know that Pope Francis was acting because of a mistaken belief; not the malevolent motives of the Democratic Party and its extreme left wing ideologues.

Upvote 0

Monica02

Senior Veteran
Aug 17, 2004
✟3,547.00
Faith
Catholic
I don't think one foreign language reading per year is too gross a violation of the advertised language for a parishioner to be compelled to endure, especially if it is tied into a homily.

It was not the foreign language per se, it was the whole contrived set-up aspect and smug attitude of the priest that was offensive.

The only message I received from that homily was "All of you English speaking Americans out there are too stupid or self absorbed to know that all people on Earth do not speak English".

Upvote 0

Monica02

Senior Veteran
Aug 17, 2004
✟3,547.00
Faith
Catholic

Well said.

Upvote 0

Monica02

Senior Veteran
Aug 17, 2004
✟3,547.00
Faith
Catholic

I agree.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.