Getting in touch with the Cistercian Order

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Yesterday I sent my first inquiry mail to a lovely Cistercian monastery in France that I would love to desern my vocation towards a cistercian life and I'm so excited what their reply will be

If it's not to much to ask, please pray for me in this critical phase of my calling.

God bless you always

-aCoM

kit

Aug 12, 2005
Iowa
✟2,330.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
Yesterday I sent my first inquiry mail to a lovely Cistercian monastery in France that I would love to desern my vocation towards a cistercian life and I'm so excited what their reply will be

If it's not to much to ask, please pray for me in this critical phase of my calling.

God bless you always

-aCoM
Be aware what the Cistercian life is like. It suits very few persons. I hope you are looking clearly, without wide eyed romantic visions. If you are seeing clearly-Mazel Tof

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Be aware what the Cistercian life is like. It suits very few persons. I hope you are looking clearly, without wide eyed romantic visions. If you are seeing clearly-Mazel Tof

I'm aware.
I cannot possibly know if it's my cup of tea without investigating my vocation closer, but I've felt drawn towards a life in prayer since my teens and I've found the cistercian spirituality to be fulfilling my calling at least on paper.

The novice stage lasts for five years and I'm confident that the abbot will help me sort out my vocation and help me determinate wether or not I'm suited to the lifestyle.

Thanks for sentiments :)

In Christ
aCoM

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
This is true of just about every order. Franciscans, Dominicans, Cistercians, Benedictines, Carmelites. They all have rigors and challenges.

I wish the OP good luck, and if this isn't the one for you, keep looking. There is a movie called "Into Great Silence", which, I think, is about the Cistercians. I take that back, it's about the Carthusians.

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

kit

Aug 12, 2005
Iowa
✟2,330.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
I'm aware.
I cannot possibly know if it's my cup of tea without investigating my vocation closer, but I've felt drawn towards a life in prayer since my teens and I've found the cistercian spirituality to be fulfilling my calling at least on paper.

The novice stage lasts for five years and I'm confident that the abbot will help me sort out my vocation and help me determinate wether or not I'm suited to the lifestyle.

Thanks for sentiments :)

In Christ
aCoM
Now then, why a house in France? I gather you aren't French. Have you looked at Houses "here"?

Upvote 0

kit

Aug 12, 2005
Iowa
✟2,330.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
kit

AChildOfMary lives in Norway I believe :)

Mebbe I'm wrong - but ....
Well then! New Mellory Abbey in Iowa. Norwegians are think in that part of the land. The king of Norway even visits every couple of years somewhat nearby.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
kit

AChildOfMary lives in Norway I believe :)

Mebbe I'm wrong - but ....

Rightly so and the Cistercians have no houses in Norway so my hands are tied in that regard.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Well then! New Mellory Abbey in Iowa. Norwegians are think in that part of the land. The king of Norway even visits every couple of years somewhat nearby.

Thanks Kit, I'll check it out:)
I speak some french so I don't think language is going to be a huge barrier, not that communication is the single most important part of the cistercian week:p

The US clearly has its advantages too:)

Upvote 0

kit

Aug 12, 2005
Iowa
✟2,330.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
Thanks Kit, I'll check it out:)
I speak some french so I don't think language is going to be a huge barrier, not that communication is the single most important part of the cistercian week:p

The US clearly has its advantages too:)
I was half joking when I mentioned New Mellory. I assumed you had perhaps a developed connection to the Abby/house you have contacted in France.

But on a more serious note, you might find the Abbey in Iowa more familiar to your cultural background. Northeast Iowa offers the opportunity to be surrounded by Norwegian Lutherans! And if you want to get away from Norwegian Lutherans there are plenty of German Lutherans as an alternative. It would be like home from home. More Seriously again, if you are in early stages of contact you might want to explore New Mellory. The only thing is we have more brutal Winters than you are probably accustomed too. Summers get sort of beastly as well.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,087,435.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Cistercians are Benedictines, and I believe that St. Bernard of Clairvaux established their order--a more austere form of Benedictine life. Are there any Benedictine communities you can visit in Norway? Have you read the Rule of St. Benedict? There may be ways you can learn hands-on while you are waiting for the abbot to contact you from France. Praying for you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

kit

Aug 12, 2005
Iowa
✟2,330.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
Cistercians are Benedictines, and I believe that St. Bernard of Clairvaux established their order--a more austere form of Benedictine life. Are there any Benedictine communities you can visit in Norway? Have you read the Rule of St. Benedict? There may be ways you can learn hands-on while you are waiting for the abbot to contact you from France. Praying for you.
There are barely any Catholics in Norway let alone monasteries.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
I hope you report on your progress.

I will as soon as I have more to report, not unsurprisably they havent answered my inquiry yet, I dont see them as the order that check their mails very frequently:p

God bless you in your discernment!! The Trappists are an excellent order, and represent some of the best of the tradition of St. Benedict.

Thanks brother:)
Indeed, the Trappist spirituallity is one of the finest in our church:)

Upvote 0