Getting baptized. Questions

lovepink774

Jan 15, 2012
✟7,639.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The last post made was about how I wanted to become baptized in the Lutheran church. Well we have a date set for November 10th (2 days after my birthday) I'm very excited! My teacher and his wife will be my sponsors. I picked them because I'm not sure if my parents will be coming to my baptism and they are a main component in my faith journey, I go to church with them, and They have supported me through a lot. I have a few questions. First, what exactly will happen for the baptism, I was old to get there 15minutes early? Also what should I wear?

Moses Medina

Layman
Sep 10, 2012
North Carolina
Visit site
✟45,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Praise God! That's wonderful news.

My pastor does the baptismal service from the Lutheran Service Book. If you have one on hand, open up to it and read through it. If not let me know and I or someone else will describe it. :) Blessings!

Upvote 0

cerette

Feb 2, 2008
Canada
✟17,321.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It's hard to tell exactly what will happen as the service can differ between churches..You should ask the Pastor about the details so you don't have to feel like you don't know what's going to happen. But I am guessing there will be some prayer, hymns, a sermon and your baptism. I would also guess that when you get baptized, the Pastor will wet your forehead with water, or sprinkle some on your head, these are details you should ask him as it's impossible for others to know how exactly it will be done.
As for what to wear, that's up to you, but personally I think it would be proper to wear something "nice" ("Sunday's best") as it is a very special moment in your life. White is often used to represent the washing away of sins.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,036.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
It's hard to tell exactly what will happen as the service can differ between churches..You should ask the Pastor about the details so you don't have to feel like you don't know what's going to happen. But I am guessing there will be some prayer, hymns, a sermon and your baptism. I would also guess that when you get baptized, the Pastor will wet your forehead with water, or sprinkle some on your head, these are details you should ask him as it's impossible for others to know how exactly it will be done.
As for what to wear, that's up to you, but personally I think it would be proper to wear something "nice" ("Sunday's best") as it is a very special moment in your life. White is often used to represent the washing away of sins.

In our Church, It's common for the baptism to follow the opening hymn, just before the Introit; I have seen baptisms done right after the Introit as well.

Upvote 0

lovepink774

Jan 15, 2012
✟7,639.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Thank you everyone for your responses. My teachers wife who is my sponsor is taking me shopping tomorrow.
Praise God! That's wonderful news.

My pastor does the baptismal service from the Lutheran Service Book. If you have one on hand, open up to it and read through it. If not let me know and I or someone else will describe it. :) Blessings!
I not have a lutheran service book.

Upvote 0

Moses Medina

Layman
Sep 10, 2012
North Carolina
Visit site
✟45,257.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you everyone for your responses. My teachers wife who is my sponsor is taking me shopping tomorrow.

I not have a lutheran service book.

As another member mentioned, my church does it after the first hymn as well. Here is the summed up version as found in the Lutheran Service Book.

- Talks about baptism and how it saves
-identifies people getting baptized
-prayer
-talks about godparents/sponsers
-gospel reading from mark
-Lords prayer
-denounce devil
-baptism
-keepsakes are handed out if practiced at the church
-Prayer

As others said, it can differ, this is simply from the service book of the LCMS.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums