notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
laptoppop said:
But the burying of the tracks is also no problem and basically a non-issue.

Non-Issue? I disagree.

What about those dinosaur tracks in coal that are right there with the trees they were eating from, all right in the middle of the sediment supposedly laid down by the flood?

Did the trees grow in freshly laid sediment? Where the dinosaurs eating from those trees as the flood was 'recessed' and then they were overtaken when it surged again?

Explain how those trees grew and how the tracks got there, and then tell me that the burying of tracks are no problem in your model.

Explain some real tracks in a real find using your model. Don't just claim that it is no problem. Show us that it is no problem. Pick any set of tracks you wish, explain the nature of the find including the type of stone they are found in and any trace fossils around then, then, explain how they could be laid in your model.

Until you start address real evidence and actual geological finds, you are just making unsupported statements based on generalities.

Can you address those fossil footprints of dinosaurs in coal?

Upvote 0

Deamiter

I just follow Christ.
Nov 10, 2003
Visit site
✟25,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
laptoppop said:
In terms of the pollen -- the original findings just started the issue. Different scientists have tried to replicate. Some have succeeded, others failed. They both criticize the other's methodology. I tried to be fair and present it openly. This is a good example of peer review working. Each is pointing out limitations in the other's technique and both hopefully will benefit from it.
Except that when you're dealing with a contamination issue, if the pollen is there with one scientist's work, but not with the others, it's hard to claim that one scientist "uncontaminated" the shale! More importantly, I looked at a list of articles supporting pollen in precambrian shale from the last couple decades and ALL of them were from creationist publications. Those creationist publications are not "peer reviewed" in the scientific sense (by other scientists in the field) but only reviewed to ensure that the content is pro-creationist.

In short, you're citing results that were only reviewed to ensure pro-creationist content (not to examine research methodology or validity of conclusions as is customary in scientific peer-review) and which are likely due to contamination. In contrast, the articles written by scientists in the field, and published in journals that require review of validity of conclusions and methodology (not the content of the conclusions as with creationist publications) by other scientists in the field (again, not just creationist editors) have found a complete absense of pollen!

I'd sure be interested in seeing ANY example of a peer-reviewed article that claims that there is pollen in precambrian rocks. Note that a peer-reviewed journal should reject papers based on poor writing, bad methodology or conclusions that were not supported by evidence. non-creationists have often submitted to creationist publications, but have been rejected not on scientific grounds, but on the grounds that their papers do not support creationism. So much for peer review!

In terms of the varves, I was referring to the problem of fish fossils which cut across multiple varves -- buried in place. For the varves to be annual for at least those section of the strata would mean the fish would have to not rot for a long time, in the hundreds of years.
If you were referring to fish fossils, you might have mentioned fish fossils... and now that you have, you might give a reference since I've never seen that particular claim.

However, I might offer you a general answer to explain how fossils CAN exist in varves.

First of all, your claim seems to assume that varves become solid at the time of deposition, and that a fish must remain perfectly preserved in order to fossilize. Neither of these assumptions are true.

When sedementary layers are laid down, they are a lot like mud. In fact, they ARE mud until buried by enough layers that they solidify. So a fish which dies and sinks to the bottom is going to sink into the muddy bottom -- not sit high on the latest varve. Further, only the fish bones are fossilized, not the entire fish. So the fish does not need to "not rot" for hundreds of years (dbl negative only there so I can quote your words) -- only the fish bones need to remain.

I don't know if you've ever gone scuba-diving, but I've personally seen many fish skeletons just lying there half-buried. You should be able to find them just snorkling if you're willing to dive to the bottom. Little fish, scavengers and bacteria are very efficient -- I don't remember ever seeing any more than a fish skeleton, but again, you never see fossilized fish eyes, so why would you expect the soft tissue to "have" to stick around for the fish to fossilize?

Upvote 0

laptoppop

Servant of the living God
May 19, 2006
Southern California
✟23,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Green River fish fossils have an amazing preservation of soft tissue, not just bones. http://www.fossilmuseum.net/Fossil_Galleries/GreenRiverFish.htm

Google on Hakatai shale pollen and you'll see the various interchange that has gone on between the various parties. A lot of this is very healthy, in that it causes people to refine their methods. For example, I would point you toward http://www.rae.org/pollen.html

There are only one or two true technical journals in the creationist "camp". The market for general materials is simply much greater, and the audience for full research quality creationist material is tiny. Because of the limited space, the organizations have typically limited submissions to creationists, although they often include evolutionists in the peer review process.

It cuts both ways. Many secular journals will not consider articles from a creationist perspective, or even from a known creationist. They consider it too wacky and do not want to improve the reputation of someone so way out there. Some professors have found it expedient to be quiet about their "wacky" views in order to retain their careers.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Upvote 0

random_guy

Senior Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
✟3,457.00
Faith
Christian
laptoppop said:
It cuts both ways. Many secular journals will not consider articles from a creationist perspective, or even from a known creationist. They consider it too wacky and do not want to improve the reputation of someone so way out there. Some professors have found it expedient to be quiet about their "wacky" views in order to retain their careers.

The thing is, everytime you submit a paper to a journal, it will write by why a paper has been rejected. How many Creationist papers have been submitted to the rigors of peer review? Can you show any of the reject letters on why it was rejected? Can you show that there is a bias of rejecting sound science from "wacky" professors? A lot of times Creationists claim persecution, but if they never submit any scientific papers, how can persecution exist?

As for being forced to be quiet about "wacky" views, a professor on my thesis chair is a supporter of ID and publicly acknowledges it. However, his career isn't in jeopardy nor is he forced to be quiet because he's published more scientific papers in a decade than I'll probably publish in my life. While I won't name him (due to him being on my thesis chair and that I wouldn't want him to read about what I think about ID), he is a brilliant scientist. It doesn't matter what the views of a scientist are if they do outstanding work.

Upvote 0

KerrMetric

Oct 2, 2005
Pasadena, CA
✟6,671.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Graham4C said:
im yet to find a TE explanation on multiple layers of the geologic column being connected by trees.

Examples of these trees are found world-over. Perhaps the more populour ones at the grand canyon.

You are joking right? The whole so called "polystrate tree" argument is one of the most popular and debunked the longest ago creationist claptrap there is.

Why are such trees a problem?

Show me one case of such a fossil where the layers around it are dated as millions of years apart? Geology does not have a problem with rapid sedimentation in some circumstances - we see this happening in the world around us.

There is no connecting of multiple layers of the geological column by such fossils. All KNOWN polystrate fossils were layed down in periods from days to maybe a few decades. What on earth is the problem with this?

Why is the creationist community so blindingly ignorant that they seem to think geology explains everything as a slooooooooooow uniform process when geology actually accepts both rapid and slow processes are at work. The majority of things do take a long time but we see in the world around us examples of vulcanism or earthquake or rapid erosive proesses that leave tell tale marks in the geological strata.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Graham4C said:
im yet to find a TE explanation on multiple layers of the geologic column being connected by trees.

Examples of these trees are found world-over. Perhaps the more populour ones at the grand canyon.

are you referring to polystrated trees?

there are lots of essays on the topic.
use google.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/hovind/howgood-gc.html
http://home.austarnet.com.au/stear/sarfati's_RE_reviewed_henke.htm
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/polystrate/trees.html

there are a lot more. but this is enough to end the claim
"i've yet to find"

Tolle Lege

Upvote 0

steen

Lie Detector
Jun 13, 2006
South Dakota
✟9,384.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
laptoppop said:
I’m human, and I’m more than a little stubborn, so I may well be wrong. Call me wrong, call me misguided, challenge my sources, logic, and conclusions – but do NOT call me a liar. My integrity is extremely important to me.
The research you cited were lying, it wasn't you who was claimed a liar.

What I like best is the interchange of peer review, with folks challenging each other and pointing out limitations and objections. I applaud it when I see it in the context of YEC research. Elitism turns me off quicker than just about anything.
But then, I have never been made aware of ANY scientific peer review of creationist materials, mainly because these are not submitted to actual, scientific journals where they WOULD have to justify methodology and evidence. LOTS of "regular," non-creationist articles are rejected at the peer-review as well. Only when the methodology is sound and the conclusion is actually supported bu the evidence will such articles be accepted for publication. That's the way of the Scientific Method to weed out careless research and people with non-scientific agendas. It just so happens that a creationist article, which is always based on its conformity to scripture rather than to the actual evidence, ALL of the evidence.

On to some of the topics raised:

1)Pollen. It is not as easy to detect pollen reliably as one might think. One of the most crucial things is to prevent contamination. Pollen is everywhere, and it is notoriously easy to contaminate the samples.
And also fully possible to NOT contaminate the samples as well.

For example, modern pollen has been found (supposedly) in precambrian rocks from the Grand Canyon, in India, in Russia, and elsewhere.
Actually, they haven't. They have been found WITH such samples, but when people have gone back and done careful excavation and sampling of these rocks, that pollen disappeared.

However, in each case it is crucial to eliminate any possibility of contamination.
certainly. That's why the Scientific Method's peer review includes a very careful examination of the methodology.

In the case of the Grand Canyon shale, there have been several attempts to validate the discovery. Something like 3 out of 4 attempts have found modern pollen.
Hmm, I will have to see a reference on that. Because if there was a valid, scientific finding to that extend, then there would be a major uproar in the Biological community and an intense review of the evidence in regard to the Scientific Theory of Evolution. It would be as big a deal as when Einstein came up with his findings and evidence. It would be such a big deal that just about anybody with access to news services would have heard about it. Scientists live for such a discovery. That would just about guarantee them instant tenure at Harvard, MIT or similar.

The researchers have used extreme care to try to avoid contamination, including taking the samples below the surface and washing the samples extremely thoroughly before crushing and analysis. However, some have pointed out the possibility of micro-cracks in the shale not visible to the naked eye which may have let in groundwater which in turn carried in pollen. This seems extreme, but I am willing to accept that the jury is still out. However, I would be VERY cautious about dogmatically saying pollen has never been found out of sequence.
I wouldn't. It never has been. When the sampling is done carefully, this pollen "disappears."

2)Sorting of the geologic column. The column is hardly as sorted as one might hope. Layers which are out of assumed chronological order occur in a large number of places throughout the globe, and in each case the mechanism must be explained in terms of post deposition movement of the strata itself.
Yes, overthrusts from earth quakes . So? The individual layers are still there and corresponds with every dating method we have.

It is not appropriate to dismiss anomalies as unimportant –
Not in the peer-review, it isn't. If the data in the research doesn't fit the conclusion, then the research is rejected.

they challenge the interpretational framework itself. The fish fossils in the Green River varves directly challenge the yearly varve interpretation.
Nope. The closer you get to the shores of these ancient lake beds, the more annual runoff you get. The more you get to the deeper, acidic and cold water, the more you only have the annual layers as they slowly bury fossils of various kinds.
I don't know if you forgot this post where I went into some detail about this in the Christians-only Theology forum:
http://www.christianforums.com/showpost.php?p=25044104&postcount=4
reposted at:
http://www.christianforums.com/showpost.php?p=25142100&postcount=41

I would also be careful about putting too much stock into a particular fossil never appearing again. There are numerous examples of things that were thought to be extinct for millions of years that have been found alive, such as the coelacanth fish, etc.
Which are not the same species as the ancient fossils, only a resemblance, just like many of the sharks we see today are very much like the ancient species of 70-90 mill years ago but show a clear lineage in the fossil records. And even more telling, the coelacanth has also been found off the coast of Bangladesh/Burma/Thailand and there it was different species than the species off Madagascar/Mauritius.

One must also explain polystrate fossils, such as trees spanning long distances within coal beds,
Done elsewhere in this tread.

and fossil graveyards, etc. that show multiple fossils which appear to be thrown together violently."appear"? Please explain what you mean?

3)Hydrodynamic sorting and deposition can explain the fossil record quite well.
Nope.

It is *crucial* to remember that a world wide flood is not a calm uniform event. Eventually, all of the mountains were covered, but during the initial stages there would be a multitude of local floods getting worse and worse over time. It is to be expected that there would be layers of silt deposition upon layers as the waters built up over time, washing over and receding, time and time again,
In thousands or millions of annual cycles? How many millions of years did this flood last?

until they were finally covered everywhere.
But then, many of these layers are rising upward into mountains, meaning that the water would have had to run uphill in many places (or rather, everywhere where we find mountains).

It is also important to remember that there are a huge variety of factors which affect sedimentation rates. The concentration of dissolved solids, temperature, speed of flow, etc., all affect how layers are laid down and can be affected easily. One would expect lots and lots of layer variation in a huge flood.
And yet we see astonishing regularity in large areas and consistency in fossil presence in the corresponding layers worldwide.

4)Straight tracks. .....
dealt with in this tread, incl. by you, so I will leave that one.

5)Again, while there is much more research to be done, the dynamics of a global flood are hugely varied. Some areas would be calm, others raging, others covered and uncovered repeatedly.
So your "hydrologic sorting" would have to vary accordingly, right? yet we don't see such inconsistency, nothing that fits your claim of these multiple, varied outcomes, in the fossil record. On the other hand, temporal sorting fits the record extremely well. So this is a case where you are trying for the more unlikely cause and have to explain away a lot of features in order to "fit" the data to your conclusion rather than look at the conclusion that actually fits the data.

What you said in the beginning of the tread was this: "I am totally disenheartened by the level of discourse around here. I desire intelligent, respectful interchange with other believers. I believe in the iron sharpens iron concept, and I desire to grow and learn – even if it means I need to change my opinion about something in particular. "

If you want to learn, if you want intelligent and respectful interchange, then you need to actually show such willingness and accept where the data doesn't fit your model. What I instead see you doing is to have certainly claims designed to fit your model, rejecting all other data. When your claims then are challenged and showed to simply not fit, then instead of deciding to learn from this, you instead merely discard that data you originally used as not valid anymore and merely dump it into the unusable data pile, going on with the exact same claim, just excluding what was not valid. That is NOT learning, that is NOT respectful. That is deceptive. Your disrespect for us is patent in such behavior.

Please do not assume a calm progression of waters everywhere.
And what of the areas where there really is no evidence for floods at all?

There would be areas where water trapped early, only to be let out – whether before or after the flood. Many YECs believe the Grand Canyon, for example, was formed quickly after the flood as an inland sea found a path to the ocean.
And while this certainly is a BELIEF, there is no evidence in support of it and lots of evidence against it. So we are back to you insisting on fitting reality into your belief rather than taking an honest look at the actual evidence. As long as you insist on your unique belief as having to MUST be the fact, merely discarding data a it gets shown erroneously, then you are NOT engaging in "intelligent, respectful interchange."

Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. If you can't respect our posts, especially when you directly are discussing scientific evidence, then you should NOT expect any respect back. Right now, I see your "debate" tactic, if not you, as very dishonest. If it continues, now that I have drawn your attention to it, then I must conclude that it is deliberate.

However, modeling and understanding all of the dynamics of such a flood is in its infancy – there is a LOT more research to be done.
As long as there is any actual evidence, yes. Unfortunately, creationists claims and beliefs don't fit what the evidence actually is and never has. So trying to prove something merely to fit beliefs is really not honest science.

The mechanics for the formation of the fossil record is one of the key discussions for this group. To a YEC, the geologic column stands in amazing tribute to a global catastrophic flood.
"tribute," perhaps, but based solely and purely on speculation in order to selectively fit selective data to fit a preconceived belief. Obviously, that has nothing to do with actual evidence, and as such, unless the YEC cease claiming any actual scientific significance to this belief, they are dishonest.

To a TE, I would guess they’d say it stands in tribute to millions of years of repeated localized events.
Nope, it doesn't stand in tribute to anything. Science is not about tribute in any way. It is about looking at the evidence and what it shows of the past and current.

Upvote 0

steen

Lie Detector
Jun 13, 2006
South Dakota
✟9,384.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
laptoppop said:
The Green River fish fossils have an amazing preservation of soft tissue, not just bones. http://www.fossilmuseum.net/Fossil_Galleries/GreenRiverFish.htm
Not a word about soft tissue there. But since you cite this as evidence, I noted that your evidence talks about rather ancient sources of annual layers and no flood. So do you now stand by your source, or was that an attempt at quote-mining?

Google on Hakatai shale pollen and you'll see the various interchange that has gone on between the various parties. A lot of this is very healthy, in that it causes people to refine their methods. For example, I would point you toward http://www.rae.org/pollen.html
A site with absolutely no scientific content. So what?

There are only one or two true technical journals in the creationist "camp".
But there are absolutely NO Scientific journals.

The market for general materials is simply much greater, and the audience for full research quality creationist material is tiny. Because of the limited space, the organizations have typically limited submissions to creationists, although they often include evolutionists in the peer review process.
Ah, so selective sources, selective material and designed solely for furthering creationist beliefs. So it has nothing to do with science or even with reliable evidence.

As for your claim of a peer-review, perhaps it is some creationist version thereof, but I hope you are not trying to imply it has any resemblance to the actual peer-review of the Scientific Method, as that would be outright and highly dishonest. I would recommend you avoiding such overlapping vocabulary to avoid confusion and resulting accusations of dishonesty in a discussion that includes actual science as well. You told how important your integrity is to you. As such, it also fall on you to show responsibility on your part to avoid such misunderstanding and potentially dishonest-appearing claims.

As for the "evolutionists" in what you call the peer-review, who are they, what are their credentials, and if they are genuine, do their comments actually matter?

It cuts both ways. Many secular journals will not consider articles from a creationist perspective, or even from a known creationist. They consider it too wacky and do not want to improve the reputation of someone so way out there.
What odd paranoia. Peer-review is done blinded. The reviewers don't know who the authors are. This seems to be an outright fabrication. So unless you can actually document this with solid evidence, I suggest you retract it, in case you actually DO have an interest in your own integrity.

Some professors have found it expedient to be quiet about their "wacky" views in order to retain their careers.
Ah, like Einstein, like Watson and Crick? Oh, wait, instead, they got the Nobel Price. It is not about whether ideas are "wacky," but rather about whether there is substantiating evidence for the ideas.

You are indicating a woeful ignorance of how science is actually performed and carried out. With such apparent deficit, I would recommend you NOT making claims about the reliability of the process if you, as you claim, do have a concern about your integrity..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

laptoppop

May 19, 2006
Southern California
✟23,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
steen said:
You are indicating a woeful ignorance of how science is actually performed and carried out. With such apparent deficit, I would recommend you NOT making claims about the reliability of the process if you, as you claim, do have a concern about your integrity..
I'll address some of your other points soon (I've got a lot on my plate at work right now, and I need to get back to it) -- but I wanted to help you with an understanding of the peer review process. From your comments, it appears you need a fuller understanding of how it works, and specifically what its limitations are. I've started a thread on the topic which should help: http://www.christianforums.com/t3220019-peer-review-–-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly.html

Upvote 0

steen

Lie Detector
Jun 13, 2006
South Dakota
✟9,384.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
laptoppop said:
I'll address some of your other points soon
I am delighted.

but I wanted to help you with an understanding of the peer review process. From your comments, it appears you need a fuller understanding of how it works, and specifically what its limitations are.
Actually, no I do understand it and I don't need help with it.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
i'm not particularly interested in the discussion about peer review. However it overlaps with a very important set of ideas that software and the net itself are pushing to the front burners.

the idea is expertise, how to grade and encourage the best writing, whether this is increased with things like peer review or just plain inhibited, or as the above postings mentioned-the tyranny of the status quo.

i'd recommend an article from:
Annals of Information
KNOW IT ALL
Can Wikipedia conquer expertise?
by STACY SCHIFF
The New Yorker
Issue of 2006-07-31
Posted 2006-07-24
at: http://community.livejournal.com/infojunkies/1953704.html#cutid1
the new yorker orginal will go pay for sometime.

on the wiki

and
the cathedral and the bazaar
http://catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/

on open source and linux.

Upvote 0

Mallon

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
✟22,892.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Having just got back from my honeymoon, I've only just started catching up on this thread. That said, I find it a little ironic that those defending themselves against being called liars use many of the same debunked lines of argument outlined in Ken Ham's The Lie: Evolution. :p

Upvote 0

theFijian

Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2003
West of Scotland
Visit site
✟63,625.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
laptoppop said:
Once again you refer to "a" flood. The conditions that existed - with multiple sources of water building up over time, would have produced a series of local events -- local floods -- that would have gotten bigger and bigger and merged until the earth was finally covered
So basically you are saying that there was a global flood that just looked like lots of local floods?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

laptoppop

May 19, 2006
Southern California
✟23,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
theFijian said:
So basically you are saying that there was a global flood that just looked like lots of local floods?
Close. I postulate a situation where a large amount of water is being added gradually to the earth's surface, from above and below. Scotty's transporter was broken <grin>, so the water would "appear" gradually, not all at once. I would expect this to manifest as a series of local floods that got bigger and bigger and started joining each other until finally the whole earth was covered. Some areas would be relatively dry for longer periods than others, depending on the local topography. It is even possible / likely that there were times of sunshine in areas during the 40 days.

Upvote 0

Deamiter

I just follow Christ.
Nov 10, 2003
Visit site
✟25,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
laptoppop said:
Close. I postulate a situation where a large amount of water is being added gradually to the earth's surface, from above and below. Scotty's transporter was broken <grin>, so the water would "appear" gradually, not all at once. I would expect this to manifest as a series of local floods that got bigger and bigger and started joining each other until finally the whole earth was covered. Some areas would be relatively dry for longer periods than others, depending on the local topography. It is even possible / likely that there were times of sunshine in areas during the 40 days.
So wouldn't you expect to find numerous overlapping sedementation events without layers inbetween marked by dehydrated, cracked earth? Given that this is the major source of sedementation (as the vast majority of fossils must have been laid down in the event) how would you explain formations like dehydrated earth being filled by flood-sedementation when such dehydration would be impossible on your timescale (it would take weeks of low humidity and no exposure to water to generate these formations). Further, since there are often dozens of these formations spread laterally at a single site, by what mechanism do you propose the increasing local floods deposited, dried for weeks, then receded dozens of times as the floodwaters increased to cover even the mountains?

Upvote 0

laptoppop

May 19, 2006
Southern California
✟23,920.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Offhand, I would say that fully dehydrated layers probably either represent pre-flood or post-flood layers, depending on their position. I would be surprised if there were enough time for a layer to fully dry out during the flood period.
Of course, the details are crucial. For example, there are dessication mechanisms that work under water.

Upvote 0

Mallon

Senior Veteran
Mar 6, 2006
✟22,892.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
laptoppop said:
Offhand, I would say that fully dehydrated layers probably either represent pre-flood or post-flood layers, depending on their position.
This gives me an idea for a new thread...
Of course, the details are crucial. For example, there are dessication mechanisms that work under water.
You're thinking of syneresis cracks, which are easily distinguishable from true dessication cracks that form in aerial environments.

Reactions: rmwilliamsll
Upvote 0

Deamiter

I just follow Christ.
Nov 10, 2003
Visit site
✟25,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
Status