Genesis is a lie. Question for christians...

jennimatts

Blessed by God!
May 29, 2011
United States, Pacific Northwest
✟14,186.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Look at what Genesis says...

Genesis 2:1-4 (NKJV)
Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished. And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made. This is the history of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens...

It says clearly that the biblical creation account is the "history of the heavens and the earth". If the creation account is not true, then the book of Genesis is a lie.

If Genesis is a lie, then the origin of the concept of sin is also a lie, so why believe in a messiah coming to save people from sin?

I don't understand why anyone who doesn't believe the biblical account of creation would want to be a christian.

If you don't believe the biblical account of creation, what do you believe, why, and how is it logical to believe as you do?

Buzzltyr57

Nov 16, 2011
✟15,146.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You are correct! if Genesis is not true? Toss the rest out. The same God of Genesis rules the new testament.

Genesis is true and 6 days should be true too. Although the earth could be older due to the fact we do not know how long it sped around the universe before God began working with it.

Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Look at what Exodus says...

Exodus 19:2-4 (NIV)
Then Moses went up to God, and the LORD called to him from the mountain and said, “This is what you are to say to the descendants of Jacob and what you are to tell the people of Israel: ‘You yourselves have seen what I did to Egypt, and how I carried you on eagles’ wings and brought you to myself. ...

It says clearly that the Jews were flown out of Egypt on "eagles' wings". If this account is not true, then the book of Exodus is a lie.

If Exodus is a lie, then the origin of the concept of God's deliverance is also a lie, so why believe in a messiah coming to save people from sin?

I don't understand why anyone who doesn't believe the biblical account of flying on eagles' wings would want to be a christian.
No, I personally don't believe the Jews literally flew out of Egypt on eagles' wings. This is simply poetic speech, and I hope we all realize that the use of poetic speech in the Bible doesn't invalidate the Bible, nor Christianity.

I see little difference between the indented section above and the OP.

If you don't believe the biblical account of creation, what do you believe, why, and how is it logical to believe as you do?

Fair question. "Believe" is not quite the right word. The evidence has shown us humans that evolution is a fact of reality, just as gravitational theory and atomic theory. An informed exegesis of Genesis, which makes sense to me and is supported by many theologians who read the Bible in it's orginal Hebrew, shows that Genesis is like a poem on creation, a symbolic text emphasizing that God is the creator, and can't be expected to convey 21st century science to ancient people. My faith tells me that God created, and science shows how he created (by using evolution). This realization has deepened my understanding of God and deepened my faith.

On a related topic, Jennimatts, your OP suggests that you don't know how a solid Christian faith is built using theistic evolution, even though hundreds of millions of Christians have such a faith, and the top theologians and leaders of many whole churches strongly support theistic evolution, and see Genesis as being fully compatible with theistic evolution. I personally find it a little bit amazing that a modern Christian can be unaware of how theistic evolution works, regardless of whether or not they agree with it.

I was taught theistic evolution in sunday school, but we were also taught how some Christians are YEC creationists, day-age creationists, support the Gap idea, or are OECs. After seeing creationist after creationist get on this board and appear to have no understanding of evolution and theistic evolution beyond vilification and strawmen (at best), I have to wonder what creationist supporting Churches are teaching in Sunday School - are they informing the kids about how other Christians may see things? It doesn't seem like it. When a church or group keeps it's members in line by keeping them ignorant, it doesn't reflect well on their position, at least to me.

Jennimatts, if you are trying to learn, and gain a better understanding of views you don't hold, then that is commendable. I think I can see the OP in that way, despite the language used.

Papias

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished. And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made. This is the history of the heavens and the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens...

It says clearly that the biblical creation account is the "history of the heavens and the earth". If the creation account is not true, then the book of Genesis is a lie.

If Genesis is a lie, then the origin of the concept of sin is also a lie, so why believe in a messiah coming to save people from sin?

I don't understand why anyone who doesn't believe the biblical account of creation would want to be a christian.

Yes, what Papias said is a typical argument to your question.

They accept the Genesis creation account. But they take it as metaphors.

Of course, there are serious consequences of taking that stand. But at least, that is the way they understand the Biblical creation.

Upvote 0

washedagain

Resting in the Palm of His Hand
Jul 11, 2011
Austin Tx
✟16,154.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Look at what Exodus says...

Then Moses went up to God, and the LORD called to him from the mountain and said, “This is what you are to say to the descendants of Jacob and what you are to tell the people of Israel: ‘You yourselves have seen what I did to Egypt, and how I carried you on eagles’ wings and brought you to myself. ...

It says clearly that the Jews were flown out of Egypt on "eagles' wings". If this account is not true, then the book of Exodus is a lie.

If Exodus is a lie, then the origin of the concept of God's deliverance is also a lie, so why believe in a messiah coming to save people from sin?

I don't understand why anyone who doesn't believe the biblical account of flying on eagles' wings would want to be a christian.
No, I personally don't believe the Jews literally flew out of Egypt on eagles' wings. This is simply poetic speech, and I hope we all realize that the use of poetic speech in the Bible doesn't invalidate the Bible, nor Christianity.

Fair question. "Believe" is not quite the right word. The evidence has shown us humans that evolution is a fact of reality, just as gravitational theory and atomic theory. An informed exegesis of Genesis, which makes sense to me and is supported by many theologians who read the Bible in it's orginal Hebrew, shows that Genesis is like a poem on creation, a symbolic text emphasizing that God is the creator, and can't be expected to convey 21st century science to ancient people. My faith tells me that God created, and science shows how he created (by using evolution). This realization has deepened my understanding of God and deepened my faith.

On a related topic, Jennimatts, your OP suggests that you don't know how a solid Christian faith is built using theistic evolution, even though hundreds of millions of Christians have such a faith, and the top theologians and leaders of many whole churches strongly support theistic evolution, and see Genesis as being fully compatible with theistic evolution. I personally find it a little bit amazing that a modern Christian can be unaware of how theistic evolution works, regardless of whether or not they agree with it.

I was taught theistic evolution in sunday school, but we were also taught how some Christians are YEC creationists, day-age creationists, support the Gap idea, or are OECs. After seeing creationist after creationist get on this board and appear to have no understanding of evolution and theistic evolution beyond vilification and strawmen (at best), I have to wonder what creationist supporting Churches are teaching in Sunday School - are they informing the kids about how other Christians may see things? It doesn't seem like it. When a church or group keeps it's members in line by keeping them ignorant, it doesn't reflect well on their position, at least to me.

Jennimatts, if you are trying to learn, and gain a better understanding of views you don't hold, then that is commendable. I think I can see the OP in that way, despite the language used.

Papias

This cracks me up... and yet you, as a Catholic think you are really eating God....

Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
washed again wrote:
This cracks me up... and yet you, as a Catholic think you are really eating God....

^_^:thumbsup: Yep, good point. The reverse is ironic too - that many creationists take "this is my body" symbollically, and criticize Catholics for being "too literal", then turn around and insist that Genesis 1:6, say, be read literally (even while seeing other parts of Genesis figuratively)!

This seems off topic here. you may want to start a thread on this in the Catholic forum, "One bread, one body".

In His name-

Papias

Upvote 0

jennimatts

Blessed by God!
May 29, 2011
✟14,186.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Papias,

Certainly the Bible does include some poetic speech. The difference is that Genesis 2:4 is very specific that it is a historical account and therefore cannot reasonably be reinterpreted as "simply poetic speech".

Regarding evolution, there is conflicting evidence. You certainly are free to choose what facts to believe and how to interpret them, but I do not accept evolution as a fact. You may choose what scientists and theologians to believe, but since not all theologians have the same beliefs, obviously some are wrong. (...unless you subscribe to the "all roads lead to God" theory which is antibiblical.)

I freely admit I don't know how a solid Christian faith is built upon theistic evolution. It seems to me to indicate God is incapable of clearly communicating to those he... uh... "created". Accepting theistic evolution is believing the "almighty" hand of God must simply wait for billions of years for something to occur naturalistically, He isn't powerful enough to simply create everything in 6 days.

I am interested in knowing what faith in theistic evolution is and how one can hold to that faith without substantially diminishing the gospel message. I don't see how such faith could avoid leading to redefining who God is, what sin is, how sin has separated us from God, how God provided a means of forgiveness through the messiah, eternal life, etc.

What is God? Is he able do miracles, or are those all poetic speech as well? Was the crucifixion poetic or real? What about Jesus' resurrection? Is salvation merely poetic?

Yes, I do use language in a way to provoke a response. Hopefully it challenges some to consider what they believe.

FYI, in most cases creationist Churches are teaching the bible according to the clearest, most obvious understanding of the text, and not reinterpreting our beliefs by modern ideas.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others

So do Orthodox, Lutherans, and high church Anglicans.

The Christian Church has always taught as central to the Christian faith that Christ is truly present in the Eucharist.

The same doesn't fly for how we interpret Genesis.

There is a unanimous Christian teaching throughout two thousand years about the Eucharist. There isn't one for whether or not Genesis 1 is literal or not, though many of the Fathers understood that it was not literal.

Significant different that is.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Papias,

Certainly the Bible does include some poetic speech. The difference is that Genesis 2:4 is very specific that it is a historical account and therefore cannot reasonably be reinterpreted as "simply poetic speech".

Regarding evolution, there is conflicting evidence. You certainly are free to choose what facts to believe and how to interpret them, but I do not accept evolution as a fact. You may choose what scientists and theologians to believe, but since not all theologians have the same beliefs, obviously some are wrong. (...unless you subscribe to the "all roads lead to God" theory which is antibiblical.)

I freely admit I don't know how a solid Christian faith is built upon theistic evolution. It seems to me to indicate God is incapable of clearly communicating to those he... uh... "created". Accepting theistic evolution is believing the "almighty" hand of God must simply wait for billions of years for something to occur naturalistically, He isn't powerful enough to simply create everything in 6 days.

I am interested in knowing what faith in theistic evolution is and how one can hold to that faith without substantially diminishing the gospel message. I don't see how such faith could avoid leading to redefining who God is, what sin is, how sin has separated us from God, how God provided a means of forgiveness through the messiah, eternal life, etc.

What is God? Is he able do miracles, or are those all poetic speech as well? Was the crucifixion poetic or real? What about Jesus' resurrection? Is salvation merely poetic?

Yes, I do use language in a way to provoke a response. Hopefully it challenges some to consider what they believe.

FYI, in most cases creationist Churches are teaching the bible according to the clearest, most obvious understanding of the text, and not reinterpreting our beliefs by modern ideas.

You're hinging a lot on the word "history". The Hebrew word means something more like "genealogies", the closest it comes to meaning "history" is "account" or "record". And yes, that is what it is, it is an account. Is it a literal-historic-scientific account? No.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

philadiddle

Drumming circles around you
Dec 23, 2004
Canada
Visit site
✟4,522.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi,

Before diving into your questions I'd like to understand your perspective a little better. In your view of the creation account, how do you interpret the following, which is what happens to the serpent after God catches the sin and starts to punish those involved:

Genesis 3:15 ".... it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel."

I don't want to take it out of context either, so feel free to explain it in its context. I just want to know what you think this particular point is referring to and what it means to us today.

Thanks

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Papias,

When people remember their history in poetry (as most ancient peoples, including the Hebrews, did) then there is no reason to divide history from poetic speech.

Regarding evolution, there is conflicting evidence.

Conflicting evidence about what? There is certainly no conflicting evidence about the fact that evolution happens and has happened for as long as there has been life on earth. You may have been told otherwise, but that just means your teachers are in error too.

Sure there is evidence that is ambiguous and can be interpreted in different ways---but this is only the case with fine details about how a certain species evolved---not about the theory of evolution.

You certainly are free to choose what facts to believe

No, as Christians we are not free to choose which facts to believe. We are required to believe all facts. Not to believe a fact is to choose a lie over truth.

You may choose what scientists and theologians to believe, but since not all theologians have the same beliefs, obviously some are wrong. (...unless you subscribe to the "all roads lead to God" theory which is antibiblical.)

That's better. We can choose which teachers to believe and since they do not agree, obviously some are wrong. So we need to be ready to check out what they teach against the facts.

I freely admit I don't know how a solid Christian faith is built upon theistic evolution. It seems to me to indicate God is incapable of clearly communicating to those he... uh... "created".

Well, this is where you simply need to learn more about theistic evolution. You are making assumptions about it that are incorrect.

God is very capable of communicating clearly to people of every generation, but to do so, God chooses to accommodate himself to their level of knowledge--just as we use simple terms to explain something to a child or a person who has little educational background in a specialized field. So God did not, for example, communicate clearly that the earth orbits the sun. In fact, he allowed the Psalmists to write plainly that the earth does not move and cannot be shaken from its foundations. (except by God himself, of course.) Nor did God every communicate clearly that disease is often caused by living organisms to small to see without a microscope. That wouldn't make much sense to people who had never seen a microscope and had never heard of microorganisms. We, who stand on the other side of the inventions of the telescope and microscope have learned how to accommodate the language of scripture to the knowledge we have gained through them. Theistic evolutionists do the same with the creation accounts.

Accepting theistic evolution is believing the "almighty" hand of God must simply wait for billions of years for something to occur naturalistically, He isn't powerful enough to simply create everything in 6 days.

No, it has nothing to do with God's power, what God can and cannot do. It is more about using the evidence to figure out what God did do. We can all agree that he could have done things differently. He wasn't trapped into doing what he did because he couldn't do otherwise.

You are assuming it takes more power to create everything in 6 days than over billions of years. Why?

And what about "naturalistically"? I have the impression that when you think of things happening "naturalistically" you think God has to sit back and wait for them to happen rather than making them happen. But is it not God who makes things happen naturalistically as well as supernaturalistically? Jesus certainly seemed to think so. When he spoke of the farmer planting grain in the field, it was the farmer who sat back while the seed sprouted and grew, "he knows not how" until it was time to harvest. But was Jesus saying that while the man waited God did nothing? Isn't it God who makes the seed sprout and the plant grow naturalistically?

Things happen naturalistically because God chooses to make them happen that way, not because he is twiddling his thumbs waiting for something to happen. What would ever happen naturalistically without God? Nothing, that's what.

Be very careful about buying into the idea that "naturalistic" excludes God. That may be what Deists and/or atheists think, but it's not good Christian teaching. Naturalistically simply describes one way God is actively involved in nature. So it is never a matter of God having to wait for nature to produce something. It is more like God having the patience to encourage nature to produce what he desires. Like nurturing a flame from a smouldering wick instead of putting it out.

Actually, I don't see that the theory of evolution has much to do with any of that. After all, those things are all about humans who are already human. The theory of human evolution is about how our ancestors became human (in a physical sense). So that all happens before anything scripture teaches us about ourselves took place. Certainly everything about sin and salvation is a human affair, a matter of how humans became alienated from God through sin and how God has provided forgiveness and salvation for us. Our evolutionary origins don't have any effect on that at all.

So what is left? Redefining God? In what way? Why? I don't see that I need to redefine God because of our evolutionary past. Perhaps you can explain why you think this is necessary.

Of course God is able to do miracles, just as God is able to accomplish his purposes through naturalistic means. I don't think I have ever heard a theistic evolutionist deny that God works miracles. Yet it often seems that people who emphasize that God works miracles think that God never works naturalistically. Can we not agree that God does both as God sees fit?

Is there a difference between being poetic and real? Can we not speak of reality poetically? Of course we can. How often do we speak of the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ in our hymns--a form of poetry. It is false to separate poetry and reality when they often belong together.

If your question is "Did Pilate-a person known to history-on a particular historical day, order the crucifixion of Jesus of Nazareth?" the answer of any Christian will be "Yes" no matter what they think about evolution. Did Jesus rise from the dead? If you believe the apostles, (and what Christian does not) then the answer to that is "Yes" as well. Furthermore, many Christians testify to the living presence of Christ in their life, and that has no relation to what they believe about evolution either.

I guess one of the things I am trying to convey is that a large part of theistic evolution is realizing that evolution doesn't mean much one way or another in being a Christian. There is virtually nothing in the bible or in Christian doctrine that is affected one way or another by the fact of evolution.

Actually, what you just described is very much a matter of interpreting the text in line with modern ideas. What, for example, do you mean by "the clearest, most obvious understanding of the text"?

It is probably not at all what the biblical authors and their audience thought say 2500 years ago. It is not, in many cases, what the Church Fathers thought.

The very notion of "clear, obvious ideas" is rooted in the philosophy of Descartes, the father of modernism. And using that as a criterion means reinterpreting an ancient text along the lines of modern ideas.

Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Gluadys' answers are very good - I agree with them. Here are mine.

Jennimatts wrote:

Papias,

Really? Where does it say it isn't poetic speech? And, top theologians of many different denominations, who read Genesis in it's original Hebrew and have studied it for years, and are ministers themselves, have shown that it can be interpreted that way.

It's good that we agree that the Bible contains some poetic speech. I hope we all realize the the use of poetic speech doesn't invalidate the underlying truth. Jesus is called "the lamb of God", and the fact that we recognize that he isn't literally livestock in no way means that the whole Gospel is somehow false.

Regarding evolution, there is conflicting evidence.

Only about details of evolution (like wether the first mammals were around 170 million years ago, or didn't appear until 150 million years ago). About the basic fact of evolution, those who know the evidence, including millions of Christians have agreed that evolution is a fact.

You certainly are free to choose what facts to believe and how to interpret them, but I do not accept evolution as a fact.

No, I'm not free to choose what facts to believe. We are all entitled to our own opinions, but we are not entitled to our own facts. There is a real world out there, and to deny that by saying that "we each have our own truth" is delusional relativism. As Christians, we are not free to be relativistic about the facts.

You may choose what scientists and theologians to believe, but since not all theologians have the same beliefs, obviously some are wrong. (...unless you subscribe to the "all roads lead to God" theory which is antibiblical.)

While the interpretation of scripture does indeed have many different views, practically all scientists, including millions who are Christians, agree on evolution.

I freely admit I don't know how a solid Christian faith is built upon theistic evolution. It seems to me to indicate God is incapable of clearly communicating to those he... uh... "created".

Thank you for your openness. God didn't reveal all of the information about evolution in scripture, just as he didn't reveal everything about astronomy, geology, computers, physiology, or most scientific fields. If God had wanted the scripture to be a science textbook, it would have been a lot longer, and probably a lot less comprehensible to ancient people.

And yes, "created" is the right word. God created us and everything, whether he used evolution to do so or not.

Accepting theistic evolution is believing the "almighty" hand of God must simply wait for billions of years for something to occur naturalistically, He isn't powerful enough to simply create everything in 6 days.

If you remove God from the world, saying it is only "naturalistic", then you have greatly dimished you view of God, and fallen for the line of the atheist. God actively created, he didn't "wait" for something to occur without His action. Jesus makes this clear in John 5:17

I am interested in knowing what faith in theistic evolution is and how one can hold to that faith without substantially diminishing the gospel message.

Thanks for asking. For me, theistic evolution has made the Gospel much stronger, more abidingly real, and God more vast, glorious and honest. In theistic evolution, God is ever present, from the first clambering fish on land through fall of man, to the rise of nation-states. Jesus is the real solution to the real problem of original sin, and no denial of science is needed nor helpful. Obviously it's too big a topic to cover everything, so maybe ask a more specific question in a new thread?

I don't see how such faith could avoid leading to redefining who God is, what sin is, how sin has separated us from God, how God provided a means of forgiveness through the messiah, eternal life, etc.

Well, redefining God from the idea of a white haired man on throne in the sky, sure. God is much more vast and majestic than that to me. Sin separates us from God the same way, through original sin. For me (but not all theistic evolution supporters), that includes a literal, historical, single person, Adam, the father of us all. This is described in post #2, here: http://www.christianforums.com/t7604434/.

What is God? Is he able do miracles, or are those all poetic speech as well?

Yes, He can do miracles, but calling things that need no miraculous explanation "miracles" (like evolution) cheapens the real ones, and opens us as Christians to the charge of being gullible.

Was the crucifixion poetic or real? What about Jesus' resurrection? Is salvation merely poetic?

all real.

OK. Please accept my apology in advance for any time my language seems agressive in response. I don't mean it that way.

The "clearest, most obvious" literal understanding of the text is often incorrect, as shown by both the real world and by other scripture. For instance, the "clearest, most obvious" reading of the Bible says that the earth is both flat and stationary, and that diseases are generally caused not by germs but by demon possession. Saying that only a litearal approach can be used ties us to errors like geocentrism and creationism.

Papias

Last edited:
Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi jennimatts,

I agree wholeheartedly with your point. However, for me, what becomes the tipping point that makes the Genesis account literal verses the posted Scriptures that we are told we must also take as literal if we are to take the Genesis account literally is, "And there was evening and there was morning..."

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

philadiddle

Drumming circles around you
Dec 23, 2004
Canada
Visit site
✟4,522.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Really? I gotta say I agree with the YECs on this, it's a very poor example. "Carried you on eagles wings" and "this is the history" are quite different. If you wanted an example with little difference it would have to say "Carried you on eagles wings, no really I mean it, they were actually sitting on eagles wings."

As you know I agree with your interpretation of Genesis, but I don't think your example will get you anywhere.

Upvote 0

jennimatts

Blessed by God!
May 29, 2011
✟14,186.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi jennimatts,

I agree wholeheartedly with your point. However, for me, what becomes the tipping point that makes the Genesis account literal verses the posted Scriptures that we are told we must also take as literal if we are to take the Genesis account literally is, "And there was evening and there was morning..."

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Also, don't forget what Exodus says about the days of creation...

Exodus 20:9-11 (NKJV)
Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

Sounds like ordinary days, not billions of years

Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Really? I gotta say I agree with the YECs on this, it's a very poor example. "Carried you on eagles wings" and "this is the history" are quite different. If you wanted an example with little difference it would have to say "Carried you on eagles wings, no really I mean it, they were actually sitting on eagles wings."

As you know I agree with your interpretation of Genesis, but I don't think your example will get you anywhere.
You can't get much stronger than calling the Israelites as witnesses to the events.
Exodus 19:4 ‘You yourselves have seen what I did to Egypt, and how I carried you on eagles’ wings and brought you to myself. ...'

Upvote 0

chuck77

Oct 21, 2011
✟21,890.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As far a Genesis goes I'll talk about Adam and Eve to a person who is wondering why they need Jesus, and then pray with them (hopefully) to recieve Jesus and to have their sins forgiven.

All the other parts of Genesis that have to do with Creation (i.e.) age of the earth, things producing after their own kind, the Flood... etc... etc... etc...can come later. Believing and confessing Jesus died for your sins and was risin from the dead and carried your sins on the Cross is all you need to know to be saved.

The rest can come later...or never. Some things are secondary to Salvation.

Apologetics or Creation can be a witnessing tool for sure, and a good one, but one's Salvation isn't dependant on it.

I don't "believe in" the "theory of evolution" (yeah, I said believe in) whatsoever...but that doesn't mean there won't be any theistic evolutionists' in Heaven.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Assyrian

Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)
Mar 31, 2006
Wales
✟27,286.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also, don't forget what Exodus says about the days of creation...

Exodus 20:9-11 (NKJV)
Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

Sounds like ordinary days, not billions of years
Exodus 20:2 "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. And that sounds like the Israelites were all slaves in one big slave house. But apart from the fact there is no archaeological evidence for such a massive building, Exodus 12:7 says they were living in different houses. Then they shall take some of the blood and put it on the two doorposts and the lintel of the houses in which they eat it. Just because it is the ten commandments, it doesn't mean it can't use metapahors.

Another problem you have with Exodus 20:11 is that it isn't teaching the Israelites about creation, it was teaching them about Sabbath keeping and using the creation as an illustration to teach the Sabbath. Look at how the Sabbath command is illustrated in the ten commandments in Deuteronomy. Deut 5:15 You shall remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the LORD your God brought you out from there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the LORD your God commanded you to keep the Sabbath day. Moses uses a very real even to illustrate it, the exodus, just as he used the very real creation as an illustration in Exodus 20, but look how the description of the event, the mighty hand and outstretched arm is a metaphorical description of how it happened. Because the point of the illustration was to teach Sabbath observance, we can no more use Exodus 20 as a lesson in God's literal timetable, than we can we can use Deuteronomy 5:15 to learn divine anatomy.

Upvote 0