✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
So the Bible has rubbish?

I didn't say that, and I didn't mean that.

So in your view, if a biblical writer had theological concerns, and he was not somebody with a twenty first century mindset living in 1,000 BC, then he was talking rubbish? That's an interesting perspective, coming from somebody calling themselves a Christian.

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't say that, and I didn't mean that.

So in your view, if a biblical writer had theological concerns, and he was not somebody with a twenty first century mindset living in 1,000 BC, then he was talking rubbish? That's an interesting perspective, coming from somebody calling themselves a Christian.

YOU said it was rubbish:

Post: Notice time on Earth isn't created until the 4th day.
YOU: What absolute rubbish.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
YOU said it was rubbish:

Post: Notice time on Earth isn't created until the 4th day.
YOU: What absolute rubbish.

Let me quote Genesis 1.14-19 to you:

"And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so. And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good. And the evening and the morning were the fourth day."

Nothing there about time being created - on Earth or anywhere else. What you said was rubbish.

Upvote 0

willbill

Aug 2, 2015
Chicago
✟15,253.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

"And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so. And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good. And the evening and the morning were the fourth day."

Nothing there about time being created - on Earth or anywhere else. What you said was rubbish.

It states God created the constellations around the Earth; the constellations are what govern our time here on earth. *sigh*

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

This thread is being moved to Origins Theology in the General Theology subforum.

A small clean up of non-Christian posts was needed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You are absolutely right. I misread the post you were responding to. My mistake.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
the species would reproduce; mutation we witness right before our eyes breeding dogs and having kids ourselves.

Not many people follow the idea that their children are mutations. I'd use the term "combination" or "Blending" at best, and "variation" at worst. There are a large number of DNA repair genes intended to snuff out any mutations.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It states God created the constellations around the Earth; the constellations are what govern our time here on earth. *sigh*

The constellations do nothing here on Earth, unless you are an astrologer.

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
Does "Godless people" include the American evangelical Asa Gray?

It includes ALL people who do NOT believe what God told us in Genesis. Since God told us that Adam was made on the 3rd Day Gen 2:4-7 and all other living creatures were made on the 5th Day, Gen 1:21 I would disagree with ANY Evolutionist, theistic or atheistic who REJECTS God's Holy Word. Amen?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Not many people follow the idea that their children are mutations. I'd use the term "combination" or "Blending" at best, and "variation" at worst. There are a large number of DNA repair genes intended to snuff out any mutations.

Repair mechanisms are very efficient, but not foolproof. They don't catch all mutations, not even all harmful mutations. But most mutations are harmless--neither good nor bad, simply different. Children are not mutations, but most of them have about 100 mutations in their genome (segments of DNA found in neither father nor mother). That is typical of most mammals, including humans.

Upvote 0

SteveCaruso

Translator
May 17, 2010
✟54,511.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But I must insist, as an Aramaic speaker, a language closely rooted with Hebrew, echad (one in Hebrew) and 'kha (one in Aramaic) mean a literal 1, thus the Holy Spirit knew stating such a claim the people would understand it to mean a 24-hour day.

I, also as an Aramaic speaker, must insist that your position on this word is far too narrow. :)

חד /ḥaḏ/ has a range of meaning from literal to figurative and cannot be nailed down to only mean a literal non-figurative "24-hour day" here.

Upvote 0

willbill

Aug 2, 2015
Chicago
✟15,253.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The constellations do nothing here on Earth, unless you are an astrologer.

"And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also"

You are correct about the constellations, though the fact that Earth's time was created on the fourth day still stands as valid.

Upvote 0

willbill

Aug 2, 2015
Chicago
✟15,253.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I, also as an Aramaic speaker, must insist that your position on this word is far too narrow. :)

חד /ḥaḏ/ has a range of meaning from literal to figurative and cannot be nailed down to only mean a literal non-figurative "24-hour day" here.

Examples? Where is this definition from?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
"And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also"

The only sense in which either of them "rules" the Earth is through the influence of their gravitational fields, and, in the case of the Sun, its heat and light radiation.

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist

Go back and read the verse again. I have bolded and underlined the way God gave man a way to measure Time by the heavenly bodies. Amen?

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Go back and read the verse again. I have bolded and underlined the way God gave man a way to measure Time by the heavenly bodies. Amen?

Even if I accepted your dubious interpretation of that verse, giving somebody the means of measuring time is not creating time.

Upvote 0

willbill

Aug 2, 2015
Chicago
✟15,253.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The only sense in which either of them "rules" the Earth is through the influence of their gravitational fields, and, in the case of the Sun, its heat and light radiation.

Hmm.. that sounds scientific. We shall agree to disagree friend.

Upvote 0

Aman777

Christian
Jan 26, 2013
✟30,043.00
Faith
Baptist
Even if I accepted your dubious interpretation of that verse, giving somebody the means of measuring time is not creating time.

What is dubious about "let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:"? Giving mankind a way to measure time is what God did when He made the Stars. Amen?

Upvote 0