Generally speaking, are democrats wealthier or republicans?

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Earn%20vs%20Vote.png

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟371,163.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't know, but it may be Democrats. Higher income and net worth are associated with higher educational level. I know that people with college and post-graduate degrees are more likely to identify as Democrats:

Democrats lead by 22 points (57%-35%) in leaned party identification among adults with post-graduate degrees. The Democrats’ edge is narrower among those with college degrees or some post-graduate experience (49%-42%), and those with less education (47%-39%). Across all educational categories, women are more likely than men to affiliate with the Democratic Party or lean Democratic. The Democrats’ advantage is 35 points (64%-29%) among women with post-graduate degrees, but only eight points (50%-42%) among post-grad men.

http://www.people-press.org/2015/04/07/a-deep-dive-into-party-affiliation/

FWIW, the top 5 on the Forbes 400 list last year were:

1) Bill Gates
2) Warren Buffett
3) Larry Ellison
4) Jeff Bezos
5) Charles Koch

I think the top 4 generally support the Democratic Party.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,196,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As Jayem has done...you can find some "top #" list of some wealthy people on both sides of the fence.

I guess I'm not sure what point this thread is driving at...if it's about money in politics, then that we can definitely have a discussion on.

We'll start with the two hot-button examples

Individual lobbying
Koch Brothers: $2.58 million
George Soros: $1.74 million

Corporate lobbying
Koch Industries: $50,972,700
Soros Fund Management: $860,000
Open Society Policy Center (Soros-Funded): $11,930,000

Organization-based lobbying
George Soros: $32.5 million
Koch Brothers: $1.5 million

If you add up the grand totals
Soros: ~$47 million
Koch: ~$55 million

Both parties also have a long list of powerful companies that back them too...
https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/list.php?cycle=2012

It's often falsely portrayed that it's exclusively conservatives that are "buying elections"

However, the reality is that both sides are well funded by corporate backers, some who back one side exclusively, like the unions for Democrats, and Big Pharma does for Republicans, but there are far more groups (Like financial & technical companies) who are throwing big bucks at both sides.

Upvote 0

MorkandMindy

Andrew Yang's Forward Party
Supporter
Dec 16, 2006
New Mexico
✟220,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

What this graph says to me is a stabilized system. Start with a Republican President. Huge spending on weapons and wars, falling incomes, more people in the lower wage/salary range vote Democrat. Democrat President reduces excessive military spending, economy gradually recovers, wealthier people vote Republican.

Evidently the system is self-balancing, or in technical terms it has 'proportional control'.

Upvote 0