So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
They, their, and them is the most inclusive pronoun set that I can think of.

Hits everything off the bat. I tend to default to it all the time because I can't remember anything.
*Wince* I understand your intention, but I just can't bring myself to use plural as a singular. Call me old fashioned if you want. "He" has always been grammatically correct for nonspecific singular pronoun. Getting upset about it as though it were an actual reference to actual biological gender is on roughly the same level of getting upset about le and la being gendered.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I never really viewed "they, their, them" as always plural, but that's personally. I'm not an English major, lol.
I'm not an English major either, BOTH my parents, however, took advanced degrees in English... for fun. Growing up, I was kind of exposed to a lot of pedantry. Objectively I understand that spoken language is a living, changing thing, and that many (most) people happily use "they, their, them" as non specific singular pronouns. Subjectively, I'll be dead in the cold cold ground before I accept it as "correct". You may as well try to get me to spell "aluminium" the way Americans insist on misspelling it. It's not really an important issue in the greater scheme of things, maybe, but here we are.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: Poor Beggar
Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The conclusion of the article pretty well sums it all up:
There you have it, folks. His and Hers is no longer good enough at the University of Tennessee – where they are willing to sacrifice anything for the sake of gender inclusivity – including common sense.

I wonder if they’ve got a gender neutral word for idiot?
Talk about taking political correctness to the extreme! When you're being introduced to someone, go ahead and ask them what pronouns you should use for them. They'll look at you like you have three heads.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Awesome, thank you!

No matter how we spell it or say it, perhaps we can agree that it's silly to refer to aluminum foil as "tin foil", seeing as it's not tin at all.
On this we can indeed agree.

Upvote 0

Citanul

Well, when exactly do you mean?
May 31, 2006
Cape Town, South Africa
✟209,443.00
Country
South Africa
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
English needs a gender neutral pronoun because, well, you don't always know the gender of who you are talking about. As mentioned above, it is common to use "they", "their", and "they're", but I fall in the camp of thinking "they" is plural and sounds weird when used as a singular pronoun.

Upvote 0

Poor Beggar

Everything is everywhere.
Aug 21, 2015
Arizona
✟9,600.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The conclusion of the article pretty well sums it all up:

Talk about taking political correctness to the extreme! When you're being introduced to someone, go ahead and ask them what pronouns you should use for them. They'll look at you like you have three heads.
Yeah, it always fascinates me when people buy into a thought-mode without first asking, "Hey, what would it look like if we took this belief to its logical conclusion? Hm?"

Upvote 0

Poor Beggar

Aug 21, 2015
Arizona
✟9,600.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
English needs a gender neutral pronoun because, well, you don't always know the gender of who you are talking about. As mentioned above, it is common to use "they", "their", and "they're", but I fall in the camp of thinking "they" is plural and sounds weird when used as a singular pronoun.
So before we "fix" this, how have we been successfully communicating for centuries? Just like in systems-management, if a system has been successfully operating despite the perceived "problem" then the system must already have a successful manner of dealing with it. If we look at actual communication it's apparent how we've been dealing with this.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So before we "fix" this, how have we been successfully communicating for centuries? Just like in systems-management, if a system has been successfully operating despite the perceived "problem" then the system must already have a successful manner of dealing with it. If we look at actual communication it's apparent how we've been dealing with this.
For a long time, "he" was the correct pronoun for a non-gender specified person. Of course, try explaining that you mean "any person" when you say "he" today without being accused of sexism.
<STAFF EDIT>

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Poor Beggar
Upvote 0

Poor Beggar

Aug 21, 2015
Arizona
✟9,600.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
For a long time, "he" was the correct pronoun for a non-gender specified person. Of course, try explaining that you mean "any person" when you say "he" today without being accused of sexism. <STAFF EDIT>
I would even go so far as to say that Christianity is the reason "he" was accepted as the default. And it HAS worked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.