Gap is making stringed bikinis for toddlers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elife3

Jun 12, 2007
✟8,895.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Reactions: MrJim

QuakerOats

— ♥ — Living in Love — ♥ —
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟18,314.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Greens
Well, just don't buy it. lol I guess some parents may think it's cute, which it kind of is, but to me, it's not a practical style for a young toddler, and it could very well be seen as trying to 'sexualize' our young ones (an intention that I don't agree with), which it may be, but my overall opinion is one of indifference.

Upvote 0
S

Steezie

I think it's in bad taste, but really not that terrible. Toddlers in skimpy bathing attire is already common, these new bikinis (judging from the photos) aren't that different.
I was gonna say, most people I know dont even bother with bathing suits for toddlers. Their kids usually tear them off the first chance they got.

Upvote 0

moonkitty

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2006
✟16,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I was gonna say, most people I know dont even bother with bathing suits for toddlers. Their kids usually tear them off the first chance they got.

30+ years ago when I was a toddler my parents never even bothered with dressing us kids in a suit, they usually let us run naked in the kiddie pool or at the beach.

My mom thought it was a waste of money when I bought my kids swimsuits when they were little. She said the same thing, "Why bother when they are just going to take it off." She was right, but if I didn't put them in something my uppity neighbors would of had a cow.

Upvote 0

moonkitty

Senior Veteran
May 5, 2006
✟16,945.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Now, finding clothing that's actually modest is becoming rare and I'm not surprised if some women are taking up clothes making and making the clothing for their daughters themselves.

I have no problem finding nice, modest clothing for my 9 year old. In fact I am in her classroom twice a week, plus working in a 5th grade classroom once a week and I rarely see anything that would be considered inappropriate.

I think such articles are much ado about nothing. Some “journalist” sees a kid wearing shorts and a tank top on a hot day and decides to have a field day with it.

Upvote 0

Elife3

Jun 12, 2007
✟8,895.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I have no problem finding nice, modest clothing for my 9 year old. In fact I am in her classroom twice a week, plus working in a 5th grade classroom once a week and I rarely see anything that would be considered inappropriate.

I think such articles are much ado about nothing. Some “journalist” sees a kid wearing shorts and a tank top on a hot day and decides to have a field day with it.
In that case, maybe it was hard only in the local area of when that report came in.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

.Sabre.

Aliens ate my custom title.
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2006
Chasing the sun's fading light
✟40,588.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
How much more impractical are childrens' clothes going to get?!

Straps pop, "gems" and glitter come off, thin fabrics get ripped to shreds........the current fashion trend of dressing girls as starlets is horrendously expensive. More importantly, there's a concern for health and safety with this--kids get less bumps and bruises when wearing jeans, T-shirts and sneakers than when wearing barely-there outfits and heels. On the topic of health and safety, high heels are dangerous enough for adult women--on an uncoordinated little girl (most kids are clumsy), they're pretty much a recipe for disaster. So it's just not practical to have fashionable kids.

Upvote 0

flicka

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 9, 2003
✟36,720.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
How much more impractical are childrens' clothes going to get?!

Straps pop, "gems" and glitter come off, thin fabrics get ripped to shreds........the current fashion trend of dressing girls as starlets is horrendously expensive. More importantly, there's a concern for health and safety with this--kids get less bumps and bruises when wearing jeans, T-shirts and sneakers than when wearing barely-there outfits and heels. On the topic of health and safety, high heels are dangerous enough for adult women--on an uncoordinated little girl (most kids are clumsy), they're pretty much a recipe for disaster. So it's just not practical to have fashionable kids.
Well that's the kind of thing new parents learn fast. Stuff like bikinis for toddlers are just a novelty, something for the parents not the kids, and not something that will be a staple in kids wardrobes.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
string bikinis shouldn't be worn until you have something to put *in* the string bikini.
I hope that what is being put *in* those strings for toddlers is a diaper.

Seriiously, if I see a baby wearing one of those things without a diaper, there is just no way I am jumping into that pool.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Yea, that is part of what is disturbing most people. String bikinis have a tendancy to sexualize the body, and are therefore even more provocative than no clothes at all.

The sexualization of children through fashion and media is already well advanced. Even outside of the obvious dangers of the wrong person taking note, who knows just how this trend will influence this next generation of children?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.