Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
there was one time as well where I was propping up against a table, and all of a sudden I felt a slap across the back of my head. this old Russian lady, Alla, popped me one and said, "theese for your butt (pointing to a chair), theese for food (pointing to the table)." Fr John looked over at me and explained the connection between the table you eat at and the alter.....and then added that the KGB gave up on her when she was in Russia.

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There are several people here whom I know and love, and I'm really glad to see them!:wave:
Sorry...I don't mean to go OT, but after reading some people's post here, they do seem to know you. I'm just wondering if I am supposed to know you, even though your username doesn't sound familiar. I know someone on FB who makes incense, but I don't know if she and you are one in the same. :)

Upvote 0

desertfathersincense

Insignificant Incense Maker
Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
✟7,689.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Sorry...I don't mean to go OT, but after reading some people's post here, they do seem to know you. I'm just wondering if I am supposed to know you, even though your username doesn't sound familiar. I know someone on FB who makes incense, but I don't know if she and you are one in the same. :)

:hug: Yes, it's me. Much love to you!!!

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
^_^:p!!

Last year on the Sunday of the Publican and Pharisee, during his sermon our Priest stated that the Pharisee was condemned in his pride, but the Republican went away justified.

Everyone laughed out loud, and he realized what he had said. He said he knew it was only a matter of time before it happened. ^_^

We'll be listening closely this Sunday. :)

Mary

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
there is a priest I know who is 80 going on 40, and at times he slips up while reading, and things that only he could get away with. some stuff I remember:

-remembering Bishop Irene of Montreal
-mingling gall with sour cream during Holy Week
-saying, "oh you know who you are" when there were a ton of saints with crazy complicated names

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My first Pascha as a chanter, the other two chanters had gone behind the iconostasis to help set things up, and I was by myself at 11:45pm or so. The deacon motioned me to come back and my priest was sitting and looked at me and said, "We have 15 minutes to kill, make something up." and sent me right back out to the chanters stand.

Upvote 0

ikonographics

In patience I waited patiently on the Lord
Apr 27, 2008
Greece
Visit site
✟27,987.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There are several people here whom I know and love, and I'm really glad to see them!:wave:

And most of them know, from experience, that I can never resist poking fun at myself and sometimes at US in general.

Recently, I had a very funny experience that I just cannot stop giggling about so I am sharing it with you here.

It involves what is sometimes referred to as "The Serbian Shuffle" and a very devout priests' wife. Now, for the uninitiated, the "Serbian Shuffle" is commonly known in the Serbian church....it was probably a Serb that invented the term and it refers to that very important moment when the priest comes out of the Holy Doors with the Gifts, and since nobody is in line to receive "shuffles" right back in.

On a recent visit to another parish in another part of the country, let's just say the east coast, (names and location withheld to protect the innocent AND the guilty): that moment came, and the only person who was in line to receive was the priest's wife. I did not have time to get a blessing from the priest beforehand to receive as a visitor so I was in my seat. I travel a fair bit and so sometimes my plane gets in late, and I don't have time or whatever to talk to the priest beforehand.

Anyway, she receives, and sits down.... a few minutes later, the absolutely lovely choir sings out: "We have seen the true light...."
They finish and Popadija stands up, turns around and faces down the entire very large parish and says REALLY LOUD.............................

"WE haven't seen anything....I did. All of you were busy picking your nose or whatever...but WE haven't received anything. Just me." And she sat down. The phrase silent as the grave comes to mind....

I laughed so hard and was trying so hard to keep it quiet, I thought I was going to die from lack of oxygen.

Share your funny moments. I would love to hear them!

Great to see you here at TAW :clap: I too have had the rather strange experience of being the only person to commune at a Serb parish and thought pretty much the same thing!

Upvote 0

-Kyriaki-

seeking answers in stillness
Sep 30, 2002
South Australia
Visit site
✟23,127.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
there is a priest I know who is 80 going on 40, and at times he slips up while reading, and things that only he could get away with. some stuff I remember:

-remembering Bishop Irene of Montreal
-mingling gall with sour cream during Holy Week
-saying, "oh you know who you are" when there were a ton of saints with crazy complicated names

Awesome, especially the last one ^_^

Upvote 0